• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

How do you keep your rod tip from freezing up?

CALVINIST

Looks like the weather is going to be really cold this week but I don't want to put the boat away yet. Walleyes are knocking on the door. I really hate it when the rod tip freezes up while jigging. Any tips on how to deal with this problem would be appreciated.

BTW, I cannot go to a rod with larger guides at this time. Maybe next year.

Hiya -

Every few minutes, hold the rod tip under water for a minute or so, then pull it out and give the rod blank a whack. The (relatively) warmer lake water and a good smack will usually pop the ice out of the guide.

Cheers,

Rob Kimm

Great point Dietz! They are very easy to replace - you can get a kit and do it yourself if you can find the right tip for your liking.

Don't usually have a big problem with tips icing up. For those colder days, I may try spraying some reel magic or the KVD stuff on the tip to see if it helps. Will also spray the line on the spool as well. Have used this stuff for open water, never tried it in the winter.

Fishes all year out his boat? I thought that would look funny. Pull up, drill a hole get back in the boat and jig away!

Well, not quite;

IMG_6125.JPG

Last year, we went ice fishing in the morning till the sun came up. There was a guy unloading all of his ice fishing gear and I mean he had everything. I told him, "man, it sure takes alot of gear to ice fish these days" His reply was " yea, but I dont have a boat along" Ouch, that hurt lol

I dealt with this last weekend on Rainy River. Almost every 5 minutes or so ice would form primarily in the top guide. Dipping it in the water worked but you would then have to repeat the process every 5 to keep it from forming. I bet cooking spray would do wonders. Sticky guides is no fun. Good luck.

I used the Reel Magic on rod tip, guides, and line and although I didn't give enough time in the field to give a solid critique, my limited experience with it was excellent. The rod didn't ice up like before, and I especially liked how the line comes off the spool.