• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Rutting?

KOTTKE

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Im seeing that alot of the big bucks on trail cams people are posting have very large necks. I know why they have the massive necks, but doesnt this mean they are in rut? Can they have the huge neck and not be in rut?

Bucks southeast has been in rut since the last weekend of the October. It should be over by next weekend.

This happen the same way as last year. By the 2nd week of November all the bucks we've seen was trying to feed heavy in the fields. They looked skinny, worned out, and exhausted all the time. Especailly the bigger ones.

Not to worry guys, the best is yet to come! It's later this year than normal, and as several posters have noted, the weather isn't helping any. But it will happen. I agree with the one hunter above - try not to traipse all through your area looking for sign - get in and get out as stealthy as possible. If you're in the right spot, from history and previous scouting, it will happen. And yes, their necks can get big all the way through the fall. Big necks do not mean in rut, and i presume by that you mean breeding phase. They build up the neck muscles well in advance of that.

I am hunting in the SE and I have not seen a great rut. Very little chasing. I have heard of some chasing from people, but the bucks are not running crazy yet that I have seen. It was really picking up by the end of last week, but the warm weather and wind has all but put a complete stop to the rut. I have seen very few does also. Still too much corn in the fields.

I saw the same things down there last weekend trigger. My buddies and I saw/heard alot of activity before shooting light in the AM and right at dusk. Very dead during the day. I hope the cool temps and cloudy skies of this week spark the big boys.

Corn coming out of the fields would be an immense help too.

My buddy who is a non hunter was driving by Rochester yesterday and watched a big buck chase a doe right along the highway, he just about hit them as they crossed the road. I would say the rut is starting to happen. I would think the cold snap should get some deer moving this weekend, let's all hope for good luck.

I agree. The rut is on hold. Should pick up thursday night through the weekend. I am starting to think that temperature has more to do with it than anything else.

they finally cut the corn in my area. How long will it take the deer to calm down and be comforatable living in the woods instead of the corn? I expect alot more deer traffic in the woods now.

The only thing temperature influences is daytime activity. We may not see as much chasing/rutting activity if it is warm, but it is occurring nonetheless... just in the cool of darkness. The does will come into estrus and the bucks will chase/breed the same time year after year regardless of the temperature. Check the sides of the roads... the deer are starting to pile up. I was at the taxidermist last night, deer have been coming in 2-3 day for the past few days. It's on right now. No doubt about it though - cold temps will make bucks hyperactive and keep them moving longer during daylight hours. This weekend should be a great opener for sure.

My problem is the corn. I have 200 acres of corn all around me. This may be a long year. I just dont expect to see much with all that corn still up. No chance of it getting harvested either as it is too wet (Alexandria area). I have a great stand site that produces every year, but this will be the ultimate test.

The bucks aren't going to be chasing through the corn. I'd venture a guess your spot will still be good. You've got a goldmine last season food source... stick with it. Otherwise hang a dirty shirt or put some cheap aftershave upwind a few 100 yds into the corn and move them back into the timber.

Now there is a thought. A little aftershave.

Why dont you think they will not be chasing in the corn? I really hope you are right, cuz my stand is fantastic usually.

The darn corn is too close together to hunt, man, they really plant the stalks close these days...maybe 4" or so. Just too tight to get through.

The deer are in the corn, they will breed at night in the alfalfa fields. If there is any pressure, good luck getting them out. that is the situation I am in right now. I haven't seen a deer in the alfalfa fields in weeks, yet I'll hear them tearing the corn stalks apart. Not a good time to rut for me. In places where the deer are in teh corn, it is really knocked down. The deer have their own little playpen in there. No need to move until its gone.

I would agree with trigger on this one those deer will do everything in that corn. they feel like they are safe. Plus they stand up eat some corn chase a doe around alittle sit back down and rest and they can do this all day without anyone even knowing they are in there.

I have a ton of corn by me. There is also a swamp, and timber. Arial photos would show them in a triangle fashion if you can imagine that. Ive seen lots of scraping, and little bucks in the timber. But there are tracks in the corn. They are bedding in the swamp. Now the corn is off, so the other night I sat in a stand in the middle of the swamp where there are a few popple trees. Saw nothing. the deer were probably sitting tight because the corn was just taken off that day. I expect to see alot more deer activity in the woods now. What do you all think?

You are correct. The corn offers them everything they need if it is a large enough field. Poster above - the rut kicks in about the same time every year, but not exactly. The timing of the full moon changes it a bit because of the increased (or less decrease) light, which is what triggers it.

I don't believe Propster is referring to whether or not deer can see at night or not when he speaks of the timing of the Full Moon. He's referring to how the full moon effects photoperiodism which, along with a few other variables, is believed to be what controls/triggers the hormone cycle. There have been many studies done on this line of thought which in their perception "prove" it to be factual. Also some studies that would refute it. However, it's not whether a deer can actually see in the dark.

Deer can't see that well at night, I have had many close encounters with deer walking to and from the stand, I never would have gotten that close if it was daylight. I can't remember what I read, but it had to do with the number of rods and cones in a deer's eyes, they have more of one than the other which makes them see better in low light conditions than most, but all eyes still need some light to see, some just need less. I really think that the temperature plays a big role in how actively the bucks seek the does. Nothing puts deer movement on hold like hot weather after a cool stretch. I know they still move at night, but those big bucks don't move as much searching for does when the temps are higher, probably because the does aren't moving much either.

ok. I dont know much about photoperiodism, I know that alot of people argue the subject of the moon phase though. I just dont think about it much because I have never seen or had an experience suggesting that it ever made a difference.

How can an animal spend most of their life's activity in the dark and not be able to see well. Ive always heard that they see great in the dark, and everytime I get one in the head lights, their eyes glow like little light bulbs. Maybe the fact that there are no shadows at night makes your camo blend really well? Or, maybe they are less spooky at night because they know the darkness is their friend, and they dont usually see people walking around in the dark? What do you think? I dont know much about the science of it all...

ok. I dont know much about photoperiodism, I know that alot of people argue the subject of the moon phase though. I just dont think about it much because I have never seen or had an experience suggesting that it ever made a difference.

hunter4, you are correct, moon phase tied into animal activity is a highly debated topic. The moon phase argument is that animals movement and times of movements can be predicted according to phase of moon. Just based off of solunar tables is all. If you've ever heard the moon overhead/underfoot theory, that's what they are referring to. If you want to test it for yourself, they sell those moon phase wheels that will grade the mornings and evenings as far as fair/good/great hunts. Since photoperiodism is basically the amount of light that enters/or doesn't enter the animals eye, you can see how a full moon or new moon at certain times could possibly effect it. Good luck huntin!

Just thought i`d throw this out on rutting activity. Just went out to area we hunt seen a doe standing in picked corn field about 20yds. away 6pt. They both stood motionless for about 10min. other then turning there heads looking around, they did not see me. Finally the buck made some runs at the doe and they hi tailed to the brush.This was at 9:45am should be a great weekend