• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

How late

Twins 57 Fan

You are most likely okay until whenever, if it is an outboard. The main thing is get water out of the prop, and make sure you don't have water in the lower unit lube. That takes all of 30 seconds. Just take the drain plug out and see. fill it up, then done. As for fogging and anything else, IMHO that is optional, but good to do.

Good luck.

I usually winterize around Thanksgiving. Having said that, I don't do it all at once. I've already gone through the boat tightening up nuts, bolts, and screws. This week, I'll grease zerk fittings. Next week I may change the oil and filter. Finally, after my last trip I'll fog the motor, change the impellor in my kicker (it's due, did main motor last year), and drain/fill the lower unit. Just make sure that the motors can drain well.

if you have a inboard, i would get it done before Saturday, or you might be to late

That's a good point... if it's an i/o I'd want it winterized if it's outside at all - there is far greater potential to trap water in an i/o than an outboard.

marine_man

People fish the river all winter. If you are going to be using the boat then you don't need to do much. As was said, make sure no water in lower unit, and tilt all the way down to let it drain and keep rain and snow from getting into exhaust and cooling system where it would freeze and break something.

He's not exagerating, the block on an I/O will crack, along with the manifolds, power steering cooler (if equiped). I'm talking about raw water cooling as most in this area are.

Outboards self drain. STERN DRIVES- I/O'S DO NOT

We used to experiment with bowls of water set in various places in boats, under covers, without covers in engine compartments, etc, all I can tell you is I'd be nervous with 2 nights at 20 degrees and worried at 3 nights at 20 degrees (give or take a few degrees). Alot depends on what the temps do during the day, but on average, 2-3 nights and there was solid, expanded ice in the bowls in the engine compartment in a well built boat with a cover. Too much risk for me.

My mercruiser was on my driveway as well. I placed a 75 watt trouble light in the engine compartment and did not worry.

The engine is now drained of all water. It only takes 15 - 20 minutes (four plugs and a hose). Most of the time is to remove the engine doghouse compartment to get access.