• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Power Augers......I'm As Confused As Ever

blodngoods

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is only about 1 1/2 lb differential between the 9" STX and the 9" STX Pro when full of fuel.

The STX Pro has the new synthetic gearbox...and that is the only thing that has me a bit hesitant. All things considered in a 9" STX 2 HP...I would lean to the metal box version myself.

The STX Pro has a few upgrades, like the Jiffy snap cover, and the nifty throttle lever. If you can live with the throttle, one can always add the cover for about the same cash. The Jiffy Snap Covers are a sweet upgrade to any Jiffy!

This trapper gets the shivers and cringes at the thought of his Nils having to do trapline duty EVER . It just ain't going to happen . LOL. NO WAY

I hear you on drilling for trapline, and I agree that you would want a heftier auger with a chipper for that duty. The original post never mentioned trapping, and it did say he was buying new, so that's the direction I went with.

I fished with a guy this winter who had just the previous day bought a top o' the line 3 hp Jiffy and couldn't get it to drill a single hole all day. I helped him get it running (opened the fuel shut off for him first) and choked it and it sputtered and bogged and died off the whole time. He was talking about returning it, and I told him that he needed to break it in (like all augers; heck, all motors should have done) in order to get it running right.

So, before you take anything new out on the ice; give it a try in your garage. That can be said for more than just augers. I start my auger and heater in the garage or on shore every time before I go out. Just takes a minute, and will save a headache down the line.

Your dead on there again too McGurk . Always ,always fire up your auger before venturing far . Your right too about many augers stumbling right out of the crate till they are broke in and most need a tweaking on the high speed jet . My Nils didn't require that but my Jiffy sure did and I had to that with my friends Jiffy's , Eskimos etc too . It's that emmission thang the californians came out with dontcha know . LOL

Carry spare plugs ,a plug wrench and screw driver and run amsoil sabre is my motto and will continue to be whatever auger I use .Funny thing is I never need my plug wrench or screwdriver unless I'm adjusting somebody elses rig and they usually don't either once the carb has been tweaked and they switch to amsoil or opti 11 .

TD

I need to chime in with the shaver blades verses chipper blades. Myself and Kelly P use Jiffys in the sand impregnated ice of Upper Red Lake. Once a month or 1,000 holes we sharpen our blades with a five dollar file or the Jiffy sharpening tool. Other outfits that work with us on the lake carry three or four sets of shaver blades IN THE TRUCK WITH THEM incase they hit a patch of dirty ice and don't have to go back to shore for sharp blades. If you ask me that is worth its weight in gold right there. I have seen it many times where a guys flags us down and asks to borrow an auger since he hit a few grains of sand and the shavers won't cut, has to be embarrassing.

Yup Jonny, that is the #1 reason I have been a Jiffy and a chipper blade fan all these years, ease of maintenance. In 30 some years I have yet needed to buy a new set of blades for any of the 3 Jiffys I have owned. My first Jiffy is still running on the original set of blades and my nephew is still runs it hard every year. A diamond file or the new Jiffy Diamond file jig is all it takes to keep them in top shape.

Jonny/Ed - those are really good points you bring up, and hadn't thought of when I purchased my SM LazerMag. It cost $45+ for new lazer blades - or $20 for exchange. One could save ton of $$ over the years by using a chipper blade setup. lazers cut like carp unless they are very sharp - so I always carry a spare.

sorry I didnt get back to you somehow I missed this post! cant figure out why Im here every day!! that day was wicked cold I drilled a total of 4 holes Didnt need anymore I was using the 9 ah batteries in it I havent had a use for the larger ones except the dvd player for my little one! It was too cold to be outside and I have an otter village (6x 12) so I only drilled the holes I needed ( Ive got a really bad leg so for sure I wasnt going to be running after traps outside) as for charging when I got home I just connected the 2 batteries together and put the vex auto charger to the batteries when I went downstairs in the am they were fully charged Im going to order the 24 volt charger so I dont have to remove the batteries for this year Oh BTW I have both 6 and 8" lazer hand augers that day I was using the 8" and if all fails I still carry the hand section for the augers This year just for my little one Ill hook up the 6" auger to it to cut a few holes for my 4 yo

Most all of the augers are great products.

List of things to keep in mind in no particular order

1.Hole size

2.Chipper vs. Shaver blade

3.Weight

4.Auger length/ extentions

5.Service/parts centers

I got a Jiffy model 30 8in auger and like it. Reason I bought it was due to it being the only power auger at the store. Have had great luck with it though. So, to make it simple just buy one and get it over with.

Good point, Jonny and Ed. The lakes I've been on haven't had a lot of sand issues, so I've been lucky in that regard. If I get to URL I'll be sure to pack the chipper auger and a flat file. You also made me think of one other concern when on the lake and popping holes. Sand and grit in or on the ice is just one more reason to drill off of the roads on the ice (like I needed another reason to get away from traffic!). Other areas that might have that issue are near an access with a sand beach that stays open, and an area that might get winter runoff from a city storm sewer with road sand and salt.

$45 bucks seems a little steep for (2) new lazer blades, unless you are talking about a (4) blade model. I just kept my eyes open for a sale on a pair of 8" shavers for backups and carry them. Otherwise I am on my 3rd winter without having any sharpening issues and hundreds of holes. I know I don't drill anything NEAR what the bigwigs and guys making money on the ice like Jonny do, but I am not shy to drill when out and not catching or to stay on top of a moving bite.

I owned and used a Jiffy with chipper blades for years and yes, it was a very nice auger. I just got tired of lugging that heavy beast around on the lake. I carry one extra shaver blade with me incase something were to happen but I have with most of my augers always.

I'd like to start off with saying this is a great thread with a lot of very good, and even some unbiased, insight...

I see comments about how with shaver blades you need no weight on the auger to make it cut compared to chipper blades. In my experience I totally agree with this, but another aspect is being left out. Although augers with shaver blades require little or no downward pressure, they do require a lot of force to keep the head from turning with the bit, at least in comparison to chipper blades. This can be harder on the body than having to push down with chipper blades. I have noticed this in the SM lazer mag compared to a jiffy 2hp model 30.

I use a 20+ year old jiffy which still runs well enough but am very tempted by the nils's speed and lightweight. I am a run and gun panfisherman and I also have many days each winter of drilling 100+ holes chasing Lakers, so lightweight and speed are very compelling to me. I have a few questions about the nils though...

Do you have to hold a nils back from turning with the auger blade like I've noticed with the SM?

How often do the blades need sharpening and replacement and how long does it take to get them to and from whoever sharpens the for you? How much do replacement blades cost?

This part is very important as with my old jiffy the chipper blade has never been replaced in 20 yrs and gets sharpened every one or two years so I don't look forward to more maintenance on a new auger. (I know this is bad but it still cuts great!)

I have owned two Nils and have had nothing but GREAT experiances with it

Last question is for Harvey... With as new to market as Nils power augers are, why have you owned 2 already? I'm looking for an auger that will last another 15-20 years of extensive use.

Thank you all for any help and insight as I might be another oldschool jiffy owner converted to the darkside of nils...

Do you have to hold a nils back from turning with the auger blade like I've noticed with the SM?

This part is very important as with my old jiffy the chipper blade has never been replaced in 20 yrs and gets sharpened every one or two years so I don't look forward to more maintenance on a new auger. (I know this is bad but it still cuts great!)

It's not the darkside at all... I have used a Nils for the past three seasons and love it. I put the Tanaka power head on it two seasons ago and have been BLOWN AWAY by the ease of drilling. I've used Jiffy's and SM and you must exert much more effort controlling the torque with these models than with the Nil's. Literally, I set the blade on the ice, give it the onion, and let the machine/blade do it's thing. I don't have to "hunch" over the unit to control the torque or push down to get it to move. The blades are the cats pajamas! I have had ZERO starting/maintenance issues with the Tanaka powerhead. It is designed for intense industrial service.

That being said, you cannot walk into any store (yet!) and buy replacements or sharpen them yourself. I have two sets just in case one set dulls. The blades are a bit spendy as well, about $70. I have yet to sharpen the original set, and they still cut like a dream after 3 yrs and ~500 holes. I fanatically look after my blades and don't let ham-handed knuckleheads bang it all over the ice. They are the one thing in my ice-fishing arsenal that I do baby.

There is a Gent on the board who offers a sharpening service. Harvey knows him, but his name escapes me right now. Although I have never used him, his price is right and I trust him because he is an F/M'er.

Even though you sharpen your chippers, you might want to get a new set. It is akin to replacing the blades on your electric razor... you get used to a certain level of performance, and when they are replaced you think to yourself, "Holy smokes, that the way it is supposed to be..... What have I been doing all this time" This might explain the some of your wrenching torque issues.

Frank DeLuca does sharpen Nils blades and the turn around time is great. Here is the link to franks information. Now is a great time to get those dull tips to Frank to get ahead of the game as the ice is not to far away.

http://fishingminnesota.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1222727#Post1222727

Even though you sharpen your chippers, you might want to get a new set. It is akin to replacing the blades on your electric razor... you get used to a certain level of performance, and when they are replaced you think to yourself, "Holy smokes, that the way it is supposed to be..... What have I been doing all this time" This might explain the some of your wrenching torque issues.

It's not the darkside at all...

I have no wrenching torque issues with the chipper blade system in the Jiffy. As stated in my previous post I only noticed that problem with the SM lazer mags I have used.

I'm sure you're right about the new blades, but being a college student who duck hunts, ice fishes, and plays hockey I have too many other things to spend money on. (The new auger would be an early Christmas present)

And as far as my darkside comment, I just feel bad going away from Jiffy with as well as their augers have treated me and the people I fish with... never had an issue really.