• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Who uses a range finder

Stratosman

I don't use one either, I either just step it off before hand or estimate, If your off a couple yards it shouldn't affect you, i could see it coming in very handy in certain situations, and especially for rifle hunters, I may use one for turkey next spring though.

I wouldn't be without mine. I use it when I can to scope trees in my normal shooting lanes. I also keep it handy for a tough longer shot if I'm not sure of landmarks in the area. I have used it to range an animal just before shooting if too far to guess.

I use one... just give me that much more confidence in my shot.. I dont want any question when the time comes... I do not use it to range find deer.. I use it when I get set up. I range find all major trees in the area and know the distance to them. I then mentally mark the trees inside my range.

I use one and love it, I shoot a few trees once I get up in the stand and it gives you that extra confidence when taking a shot. A lot of times when you get elevated its a little harder to judge the distance. They also have a little bit of magnification so you can use them for bino's but they don't have near the power of a good set. I would also suggest passing on the more expensive ARC versions unless you are hunting steep hilly terrain, if you are 20 feet up on flat ground the most your range finder will be off is a yard or so.

I use one, and it really helps. If hunting in trees I will check the area when setting up and make a mental note of distances. If I am hunting on the edge of a field I will actual range deer at times. There are times that the deer looks so close, but are out of range.

Hey 96trigger.

Does your dad have one of the newer archery rangefinders that adjusts for the heights? Just wondering because I have family down in plainview and elba and wondering if it is needed to have that extra feature with the hills. My dad is looking at buying his own and doesn't want to spend the extra $ if he doesn't have to.