Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BigWadeS

What stores carry Leech Lake Knives

22 posts in this topic

Hey folks, anyone know of any stores in the metro where a guy can look and handle a leech lake knife without blindly ordering one from their site or from a store up north?

I bought mine at the greater northwest sports show about 10 years ago and it is the only knife I will fillet with but as far as a real store the only one that might have one is Reeds.

I thought I remember Gander carrying them a while back. Might be worth a call.

I'm pretty sure I saw some at the Eden Prairie Gander Mountain store earlier this year. Give them a call.

GANDER MOUNTAIN!

I know some people swear by them but Personally I don't like them and think they are dangerous.

I would suggest using great caution and a fillet glove to avoid serious injury which I have seen first hand on more then one occasion.

Scheels in Mankato has them, I'm on the same page as Pier though, they can sure be dangerous.

What do you mean "dangerous?? Is there something about them that is more dangerous than any other very sharp knife? Slippery handle?

I worked in the knife industry at one time. The truth is that a sharp knife is safer than a dull one. Less effort is required, both in the cutting and holding/gripping what you are cutting. This is where most knife-related accidents occur...

-Gregg B.

That's what I thought. Apparently the sharp back edge gets some folks, based on some research I did after posting.

Yes they are very sharp and if you don't pay attention the back side can get you!

Most people that have them love them they are the coolest looking knife a little spendy but to each is own.

I use a plain Jane Rapala and the Electric Rapala Fillet knives.

Can you get a leech lake knife with a stiff blade?

Fishmeister gave me a Leech Lake knife that has a a fairly stiff blade and I do like it better than the more flexible one he has.

thanks guys I am gonna have to make a trip to Reeds hopefully soon, if not on my way to the deer camp, I have always used the lower end rapala ones and have been happy with those, but I used a leech lake knife this summer and was very impressed, mostly the handle and the edge that knife holds, as far as safety, I would by much more concerned with a dull knife as opposed to a very sharp knife...

Were talking about the Razor sharp top edge of the LL knife nothing to do with a dull knife!

I understand that, would much rather have the razor sharp edges of them

Have you seen the design, they have a sharpend tip that goes onto the normally dull backside of the point, that is the dangerous part. I sliced my finger open pretty good on it, but once you are used to it being there it wouldn't be a problem.

I cut myself one time soon after I got mine in 2001. I did it when starting to take the skin off a fillet.They do provide a bandaid with each knife. grin It still is the knife I reach for first to fillet fish. It also carves a mean turkey.