Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Matt Johnson

Bass Really are Panfish

19 posts in this topic

I've been changing my tactics lately for bass. Mostly because during the little free time for fun fishing I have I've been concentrating on having fun and not so much about sticking the norms. With that being said, I've been using a lot of light gear for bass lately... and by light, I might my pannie gear.

IMX S782 with a 1000 Stradic and 4# Gamma is my weapon of choice. I've been throwing 2-inch Mister Twister Minos, 2-inch Berkley Power Minnows, 2-3" twister tails... mostly all small stuff.

And to be completely honest, the fishing has been very good. I've been targeting a lot of same areas I normally would, just downsizing a bit. Fish up to 19" have come on this technique and I honestly think I've been catching more fish overall.

Here's a downsize largie...

MJbassMTL.jpg

Just something to get the brain working smile

I have a 5 year old kid that is super into casting and lately we've been going after bass a lot.

One bait he likes using are small jig-spinnerbaits (kind of like beetle spins) ----- and there's lots of times he outfishes me and my traditional bass tackle on them.

Ditto on that Perchjerker. My kids also cast out 1/32 ounce jigs tipped with Berkley Trout Worms and hammer bass all day long on these. Lot's of small bass but they catch 'em up to 4-5 lbs as well. Hmmm.....

I have found that a Bumble Bug will catch bass when nothing else will, especially in the mid-summer. Often with some good size, too.

i have had success fishing for bass with panfish gear on opener and about the first week of opener but havent had much luck any other times.....

I know guys that fish tournments with that type of stuff for smallies on beds or smallies in general and have done very well

Had on the biggest bass of the year for me on a 2-inch Mister Twister Mino out on Clearwater the other day... didn't get to touch the fish but it was around that 6 pound mark frown

Talking about light tackle, I like using my cheap-as-heck pen rod for kicks when I go bass fishing sometimes.

I'd have to agree that bass "really are panfish", and by that I mean that I have my best luck fishing for bass with stuff that work well on panfish. I only run into trouble when I fish areas so thick with bluegill and whatnot that I'm always hooking into those instead of bass. That's when I switch over to larger hooks that I'd never use for panfish, or crank baits.

we've been doing that for years! lots of fun. i've gotten patial to using ultra lite surface plugs.( hoola poppers,jitter bugs, and little twitch baits) but will tie on small crank baits also! just be WARNED! big channel cats love those little surface baits too! frown

I have them hit my panfish poppers all the time. And they do put up a great fight, especially against an ultra-light fly rod. Gotta love pulling them in by hand too.

Great post Matt. I also enjoy throwing small baits like crappie tubes and pulling some good size Bass, along with some bonus panfish.

Matt, I used your tactics today on what I thought was a tougher bite. We down sized to 2 inch grubs - did a little dropshotting, etc - and scratched out (what I thought was) a decent day.

We are waiting to get on the dock and a guy in a Stratos pulls up besides us - asks how we did. We said we scratched out some fish - and he said they did great on the weedline- throwing TEN INCH worms. Their biggest was 4-10.

I must be too smart by half. LOL

So what are your hook-sets like? Are they always easy like your fishing for panfish? Are they always hard like your fishing for bass? Or do you make a judgement call based on feel?

My biggest bass over the last few years came last November in Arkansas on my ultra-light. 2" Senko in pumpkin wacky rigged on a #6 Gamakatsu Octopus and 3 lb test line in the timber of all places. She tipped the scales at 7 lbs even, so you can certainly catch big fish on little baits. It was incredible to catch such a large fish on such light tackle. I knew it was a huge fish as she hit just a couple feet away from me and I saw the swirl when she came out of the tree. I just laid back nice and easy to keep tension on her. When I lipped that beast, the hook was just barely in her. It is important to play the fish with lighter tackle as one sharp turn and run and its game over.

I set the hook like I'm bass fishing smile Probably shouldn't all the time, but its a judgment call for the most part. Sometimes it just takes q quick snap of the wrist...

This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Popular Now

• Thanks for the input guys.

I did try to look up stuff on line but wasn't convinced of anything there either.

I've been told the first pic IS honey mushrooms by a person who harvests them.

The closest thing I found for the second pic was a false truffle.  I was hoping they might be the real deal since I'm seeing them just poking out of the ground around the oaks.  They are pretty solid.

The third one does have gills, I believe, and develops into a flat cap if it can get to like its third day before the squirrels chomp them down.

I saw another new one last night growing on an old oak stump but didn't take a pic.

I agree - I don't eat if I don't know...

• That's a lot of hens Caddis - nice find!  I had three babies just starting last weekend in my woods, so I'm hoping to get some this weekend.  I've found hens through October by me (South of Metro), so we still have a full month of good shrooming ahead of us.

• Yep.  I think most people fall into that "rookie" category with mushrooms.  There are 1000's of them.  I think it's best to just learn a handful of the safe/choice shrooms and just admire the rest from a distance.  I had the same guess as Caddis, the 1st pic might be old Honey mushrooms, but they could be old Jack o lanterns too.  In other words - I have no idea!  The 2nd pick looks like an old gem studded puffball.  And the 3rd one I have no idea.  Generally, you need more info to get close to identifying them.  Examples:  Pic of underside to detemine if gills or pores; pic of cut shroom to see if they bruise a color or if it's solid/hollow inside; where it was growing (on wood or on ground, what type of tree etc.; any significant smell etc.  Every little piece of info helps to ID.  And even with all the info, there's a ton that simply fall into the "I don't know - don't eat it" category.

• On 8/9/2016 at 9:59 PM, monstermoose78 said:

I picked up this sign

image.jpeg

Lets try it like this.

image.thumb.jpeg.8224b090f90bf86e1e962663f47e18b4.jpeg

monstermoose78 likes this
    • Yah - great looking decoys!

MJ - I'm just letting you know I'm breaking into your house and stealing your spear rack.  And mount.

I found a rickety old 5 tine when I cleaned out the garage.  I might give it a try this season.

image.jpeg

• Thanks for the input guys. I did try to look up stuff on line but wasn't convinced of anything there either. I've been told the first pic IS honey mushrooms by a person who harvests them. The closest thing I found for the second pic was a false truffle.  I was hoping they might be the real deal since I'm seeing them just poking out of the ground around the oaks.  They are pretty solid. The third one does have gills, I believe, and develops into a flat cap if it can get to like its third day before the squirrels chomp them down. I saw another new one last night growing on an old oak stump but didn't take a pic. I agree - I don't eat if I don't know...
    • That's a lot of hens Caddis - nice find!  I had three babies just starting last weekend in my woods, so I'm hoping to get some this weekend.  I've found hens through October by me (South of Metro), so we still have a full month of good shrooming ahead of us.
    • Yep.  I think most people fall into that "rookie" category with mushrooms.  There are 1000's of them.  I think it's best to just learn a handful of the safe/choice shrooms and just admire the rest from a distance.  I had the same guess as Caddis, the 1st pic might be old Honey mushrooms, but they could be old Jack o lanterns too.  In other words - I have no idea!  The 2nd pick looks like an old gem studded puffball.  And the 3rd one I have no idea.  Generally, you need more info to get close to identifying them.  Examples:  Pic of underside to detemine if gills or pores; pic of cut shroom to see if they bruise a color or if it's solid/hollow inside; where it was growing (on wood or on ground, what type of tree etc.; any significant smell etc.  Every little piece of info helps to ID.  And even with all the info, there's a ton that simply fall into the "I don't know - don't eat it" category.
    • Lets try it like this.
    • Yah - great looking decoys! MJ - I'm just letting you know I'm breaking into your house and stealing your spear rack.  And mount. I found a rickety old 5 tine when I cleaned out the garage.  I might give it a try this season.
    • I can't identify any of those for sure, and certainly wouldn't recommend eating any of them.  The first pic might be some older honey mushrooms, but it's pretty tough to tell.  I've got about 8 mushrooms that I can positively id.  Beyond that, it's just not worth being wrong.  There are still some fresh hen of the woods mushrooms around the metro if you get out into some oak woods.  You can find them around the base of big mature oaks and they are pretty easy to identify.  Found about 20 on Wednesday.  Many were a little old, but was able to take 4 nice ones home.  Here's a pic of one that I left behind.
    • I'm putting it on my calendar.  Don't forget the Nord Lord trophy since it has a new home to go to. 
    • Detroit News breaks 143 year tradition, endorses Gary Johnson.   The endorsement is the first time in the paper’s 143-year history it has endorsed someone other than the Republican Party’s nominee. http://www.breitbart.com/news/detroit-news-breaks-tradition-endorses-libertarian-gary-johnson/  
    • Kind of like Trump did Monday night.
    • Gets on a bunch of talk shows. Jumps another 5 points in the polls.. This just ain't working the way it's supposed to...
  • Our Sponsors