Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
AaronM

Best walleye shore lunch

19 posts in this topic

Looking for the best shore lunch walleye batter you've ever had or made. Normally when we do it, we just use pancake flour and it turns out really well, but just looking to try something a little different to mix it up once in awhile. Thanks and looking forward to hearing what everyone does!

Rinse filets in beer then dredge in a mixture of two parts yellow cornmeal, two parts white flour and one part Cavender's Greek Seasoning. Fry up! grin

How about cajun shore lunch? Simple and good.

Father in law uses potato buds( the instant potato)on his . Makes a nice crisp coating bot not too thick . just dip in egg and coat.

Andy's red or Fishing Fever seasoned breading.

We do 2/3-3/4 Original Shorelunch with the corresponding Cajun, gives it a nice kick without burning your tongue off!

I usually put a cup of flour and a cup of cornmeal in bag, add a tsp of salt a tsp on pepper and a tbsp of Lawry's seasoning salt. I like using those gallon storage bags so I can put my freshly rinsed fillets a couple at a time into the bag and give them a good shake and into the pan they go.

Seasoned flour dredge

Egg/milk wash

Panko bread crumbs

Fried up in a little butter and olive oil mixture till golden brown on both sides. Add a little salt as soon as it comes out of the pan and you are DONE! This one is a lot easier at home, but can be done out and about fairly easily.

The other fantastic way to prep fish is a simple liquid wash (preferably egg or milk) and a dip in Andy's Red. I have been using Andy's Red since I found it at Fleet Farm. It is like mixing a box of Shorelunch Cornmeal batter with 1/3 of a box of Shorelunch Cajun. Perfect blend of seasoning, but not too much bite that you scare off the kiddies. Works great on fries too. Just did a batch of walters that way yesterday for dad. grin

I like a 50/50 mix of Panko crumbs and cornflake crumbs. You get the flavor from the cornflakes and the crispiness of the Panko. Straight Panko is a little too plain for me. Flour, dip in egg, dip in crumbs and into the oil.

Ebiz, That would be why I fry em up in butter and olive oil mix. It gives it a little more flavor and adding a little old bay seasoning works wonders. But I agree, straight Panko with out any other additions is a little bland.

If it is not done in the field, I do it like this (don't skip a step, and do it in this order):

Soak fillets in milk for 1/2 hour

Pat dry.

Roll in all purpose flour

Dip fillets in beaten egg with some hot sauce

Dust in Shore Lunch (10 million Elvis fans can't be wrong)

Roll in panko crumbs (there is no substitute)

Fry in Canola oil at 375 degrees. No more, no less.

Place on cooling rack.

Eat. Drink beer. Brag about your cooking skills. Go to sleep in the hammock.

Try a mixture of 4 cups flour to 1 cup sugar with some italian seasoning, fry in 50/50 olive oil and butter. The sugar will brown and you get a sweet flavor.

I throw some saltine crackers (maybe 1/2-3/4 of a bag that come 4 in a box) in a 1 gallon bag and crumble them with a roller, If the amount seems too little you can add a bit of bisquick (preffered) or flour. Then I add either lawry's and pepper, OR chili powder. If you want a mixed batch it can be applied later.

Mix 1 egg, milk, and beer in equal parts.

Dip and roll, and fry in oil.

I've never had any complaints, and I think it tastes way better than "just" flour or cornmeal or potato buds or pancake mix, but thats just my opinion.

TNFL, we do the same thing. Cracker crumbs...mixed with flour and season with salt/pepper and heavy on the lemon pepper. Dang good!!!!!!!

I have tried some recent experiments with good results. I soaked my bluegill fillets in Texas Pete's Hot Sauce for a couple days...then coated them with ritz crackers and flour. I was amazed at the nice flavor from the hot sauce. I'll definitely do that one again!

Dip fillets in egg/milk wash, throw in bag of flour mixed with garlic & herb bread crumbs, shake and bake!!

If you like them deep fried the two-part Babe Winkelman mix is tough to beat. The right level of crunchiness and the seasoning is very good. I have been a Shore lunch guy but if I do the deep fry method I prefer the Winkelman mixture. Two packets: a wash and breading. Very tasty.