• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Pimpin the Porty

WTN4ICE

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very nice job on the mod. I'm going to try to mod my FT Scout a bit by putting in a floor and a few compartments then I will keep the auger on top of the floor. I just ordered a set of HonLED white lights, they seem like great lights... One question, do they come with wires or do I have to get my own? If I have to get my own where do you guys get them? Any special kind so they don't get pinched or brittle from the cold as easily?

Thanks!

Ryan

For anyone that is doing a mod with the marine carpet, what and where did you purchase the carpet? I was looking at Gander and there are 3 different styles and grades and was wondering what you guys went with. Thanks in advance.

To everyone that has asked a question sorry for the slow reply.

I am working the suger beet harvest & have been VERY BUSY but it's raining today so we get a day off.

The weight of the wood at a guess is mabey 20-30 lbs. The 1/2 inch plywood lids were the heaviest with about 24-25 ft of 2x2 framing.The framing was attached with 1/4 x 2-1/2in hex head bolts with flat washers on both sides nylock nuts on the outside. I put four on the long sides & two on the ends.

This is a standard Voyager sled 72 x 34.

I used two 96cm BHK strips for the lights. I used a light guage speaker wire from the lights to the battery with the wire inside the poles.FT uses 1/2 coduit which does not leave much room to get a wire past the spring clip for the button.Because of this I am going to reroute the wires on the outside of the poles as they tend to bind up.It's easier to fix a potential problem now than have no lights when the crappies move in.

As far as the cost issue I spent no money on the framing,lids or partitions. All these materials I already had or were scrounged from friends garages.Sometimes being a bit of a packrat pays off.

Seats 140.00

Paint 25.00

Nuts & Bolts 10.00

Lights 50.00

Total 225.00 (80.00 Thorn Bros rod bought at the Mods show)

I figure if the whole project makes my time on the ice more enjoyable & reduces wear & tear on my equipement it's money well spent.

Lastly a BIG THANKS to Thorn Bros for hosting the Mods GTG. As a result of the seminar on plastics I will experement more with them this winter. Wish I was closer to the Metro to attend the weekly seminars also.

Well, I've been trying my hand at modifying my Team Wild 3-man house and I am almost complete. Here are the pics of my mod and thanks for all of the ideas from previous posters.

0910081301.jpg

Getting started

0919081816.jpg

making the doors

0923082023.jpg

adding the seats

0923082020a.jpg

figuring where the auger will rest

1006082044.jpg

added the carpet to the frame and the doors

1006082042.jpg

put the seats back on with the added quick release for the other seat

1006082045.jpg

just waiting for the BHK lights to come to put it all together.

In case you are wondering about the weight, I have no idea how much extra weight it added, but the bench seat I took out of there weighed quite a bit and I don't think the mod is that mich heavier. I plan on changing out the 20lb tank in the pics for a 13lb tank and the weight should be pretty close to the same. The bench seat that came with the package wasn't the normal lightweight aluminum frame, but a steel framed bench seat that weightd about 30lbs. Over all I am pretty happy with the mod so far and can't wait for the ice to come.

Lookin good.One thing I discovered on my mod was after putting the fabric on the lids are difficult to open when folded down.I plan to shorten them 3-4 inches to solve this. I will post some pics of the problem & solution. I can't wait for some ice either.

I had to do that with the doors that the seats are on and I also changed where the hinges were going. Originally I had the seats folding back into the sled, but I changed it to folding forward. I didn't have to shorten them that much, maybe only an inch or so, maybe I just got lucky and they do fit tight, but that just acts as almost a latch to keeep them from flying open while moving spots.

Guys very cool stuff cool But where do you cram all your tent material when you block off your tub? I stuff all mine in the tub when running? How do you keep the wind from catching it when running down the lake with a sled at some speed?.

My material fits on the top on the carpet, and still have room for the auger between the seats and the support poles. I also thought that I would run into an issue with the canvas, but in the end it worked out perfect. All my gear goes in the tub, and the only thing that is up on the carpet is the auger,wind poles. I also have a cover for on top when towing.