• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

How do you use C.P.R. when fishing alone?

JimBuck

Question

A thought came to mind last night while catching a few evening bass on the boat...How do you handle taking photographs during the C.P.R. process while fishing alone? I end up releasing 95% of my fish so it's important to take photo's. I had the idea of bringing a tripod to put in the back of my boat and attach the camera to it while trolling. I would use a 10 second auto-timer so I have ample time to get the fish unhooked and looking pretty. I guess I am wondering if anyone else has experience with handling photo's while fishing alone. I thought the tripod stand is a great idea since you can find them for fairly cheap (15 or so) and they are pretty compact and lightweight. Has anyone else tried this method?

21 answers to this question

There are small tripod's that have bendable legs so that you may attach that to something. Otherwise you get a big clamp so you can also clamp that tripod down to something. Some camera's come with remotes.

I think when I get my boat closer to being done, there might be a tripod mount set up in my boat to snap photos.

One way to do it is making one on your own. If you have two pedastal seats in your boat, you could probably do it pretty easy. It may cost a few bucks but it could be done. Buy a cheap or decent tripod head, depending on what you are going for, and mount it on the back pedastal along with the camera. Set the camera up so that it faces the front pedastal or where ever you feel comfortable snapping the photo, and have at it. If I had the time right now, I would draw something up and figure out how much it would cost. Unfortunately I am kinda busy at work right now. I will come up with something though. Always good for an idea or two.

Great idea! If there would be something that could snap into my existing chair mounts I would be all over it! This would solve the issue of me losing my camera over the side of the boat or dropping if the tripod legs are hit, less setup as well. Let me know if anything ever comes out of your idea. I would love to see some photo's or sketches....

Cheers,

-B

I just took a quick look at a couple online camera shops and found tripod heads from 20-2000 depending on what you have for a camera. For most point and shoots up to the consumer level DSLR's, a tripod head in the 20-50 range should suffice. I wouldn't imagine it to be too terribly difficult to mount on a seat pedestal.

Just be sure to pull the camera off the tripod before you fire up the big motor and run between spots. Would really suck to lose the camera. No matter how good a tripod head one buys, never trust it alone to hold the camera.

Great advice polarusd81. I've been bringing the D60 out and shooting in RAW format lately(I'm a sucker for high-fidelity) and would love to have a secure mount as my heart rate increases ten-fold anytime I take it out for a photo. eek I am going to look at camera tripods at a few local retailers and try to get the ball rolling on construction this weekend, especially if the weather is like today. Ideally it would be nice to find a tripod that has a telescopic adjustment for height that would allow the unit to pack for travel in the way that a traditional telescope (the pirate kind) would have. That way I could simply attach an existing seat pole to the tripod and presto! I will keep photo's of progress and documentation to post if anyone else is interested.

Yeah, I shoot a Canon Digital Rebel and have a couple nice lenses for it. I am more worried about my lenses than the camera, but I still try to take good care of it as well. When I finish my boat off, I am thinking of having a camera mount somewhere so in that off chance that I am out alone, I can mount the camera and shoot with the remote. I am not sure about the remotes available for your camera, but with mine I have one that lets me choose between shooting when you hit the button or a two second delay. I also have the option for a 10 second delay in camera.

Sweet. Nice camera man. I hear ya' on the lenses, good glass isn't cheap! I like the idea of having a remote instead of getting my slime filled hands all over the camera....hopefully I'll have my hands full with a hawg anyways.

I throw the fish in my livewell and then I wipe my hands off with a towel. Then I get the camera out (small Cannon) and I have one of those cheap pocket tripods, but they work just fine unless its really wavy. I put the timer on and spin the view finder around so I can see what is in the frame. Finally I position the boat for good background and light. Then I reach in the live well and grab the fish. Then with my dry hand I push the button to start the timer. Its not that tough.

Nels

My bro told me a sweet trick if you have a threaded tripod hole in teh bottom of your camera, find a bolt that fits the threads in eth bottom and drill a hole through a gatorade cap to run teh bolt through w/ a nut and some threads to spare. When you need a sdeady mount put your camera on the gatroade bottle and hitthe auto timer. It's way easier to carry a special bottle cap than a tripod.

redhooks

Redhooks, that is a pretty darn good tip. It would work well for guys with a point and shoot digital, but for someone shooting a DSLR it probably wouldn't quite hold up. Some of the SLR lenses get pretty heavy, my lens that is basically bolted to the front of my camera weighs over two lbs. It would take an awfully big gatorade bottle to hold that sucker up. Do they sell it by the drum? Just kiddin, but that is a great tip for those with a point and shoot camera.

The other thing that hasn't been mentioned here at all is the old cheapo standby of a bean bag stabilizer. Get a bean bag of appropriate size for your camera and lens so you can position the camera where you want. Use your remote or timer and get the photo of the hog.

I still personally prefer the trusty tripod though for a situation like this as it will give you the best stability.

When you need a sdeady mount put your camera on the gatroade bottle and hitthe auto timer. It's way easier to carry a special bottle cap than a tripod.

redhooks

Bottles are tall and skinny. I don't see what keeps the bottle from tipping over taking the camera with it. I'm I missing something here?