• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Ramp Tips

DTro

I agree with all of the above tips. I would like to add just one thing. Teach your wife, friend, whoever, as long as they are old enough and mature enough, how to drive the boat on and off the trailer. It never fails. Every summer you see a family standing on the dock waiting for Dad to launch the boat. Dad backs it into the water while the wife holds on to the rope from the dock. Dad gets out of the truck unhooks the boat and launches it. The wife then stands there at the dock holding onto the rope and blocking any other boat from being launched while hubby finds a parking spot for the truck and trailer. Or she is holding the rope blocking the ramp while hubby goes to get the truck and trailer.

When we bought our boat three years ago, I taught my wife the first time we took it out how to drive on and off the trailer. We now have a system. We prep everything while waiting in line for the boat ramp. She and everybody alse gets into the boat, then I back it in and release it from the trailer. She motors away from the launch as I park the truck and trailer. She then comes into the end of the dock not the side, so we don't block the ramp, and I jump into the bow of the boat. It is quick and painless. It's also great not having to do ALL the work by muself.

First and foremost. If someone is having trouble launching or loading making rude comments or giving them dirty looks only makes them more nervous and they start to rush more...which rarely helps the situation.

I did have an experience with parking the truck and trailer in the only open spot with two trailers parked at "kittywhompus" angles. I walked around to the back of one trailer and bent down and the owner comes running up yelling at me to get away from his trailer...When he saw me pick up his tandem axle trailer and straighten it out to make room to park he just turned around and said "never mind" When I got back down to the dock I heard his wife say "Gee honey, maybe you shouldn't yell at THAT guy." LOL.

I know this not a tip, but maybe you can give me some tips. I have a 16 foot Lund Rebel, a roller trailer, and lately have been fishing alone. I have always brought my boat into the launch, tied it to the dock, back the trailer in, then hook the winch to the front and crank it in. Then I pull it out of the water and do my thing out of everyone's way. The other day a guy told me I should drive it on the trailer, then hook up, jump out of the boat and drive it out. I am by no means a Twiggy and at 61 I am not all that agile, so jumping out of boat is out of the question unless I am going for a swim. I try to make this as smooth as possible when there are other people around, but sometimes it goes awry, any tips?

The practice of driving your boat onto the trailer is known as "power loading". This is a very destructive practice and is outlawed at many, many ramps. The problem is that excessive prop wash at the end of the concrete ramp dredges out a deep hole, causing an abrupt dropoff at the end of ramp and even the collapse of the concrete tiles at the end of the ramp. This makes launching and loading boats much more difficult and somebody...we, the taxpayers, or perhaps the private marina owner...has to pay to dredge fill back into the hole at the end of the ramp. The guys who power-load may not think *they* are doing much damage, but after fifty or more boats do this in a weekend, the damage can be significant. So I thank you for loading properly...using the winch strap the way it was intended. The marinas I use on the Great Lakes all have a "no power launch/no power load/motors must be off to launch and load" rule. It is no fun to get your trailer down the ramp and have it drop off the end and get hung up because of the yayhoos who power load. For those of us who launch and load by ourselves, it is always appreciated when someone offers to take the boat out to the end of the dock and tie it off, or to walk it over to the shore while we run the truck over to the parking lot. The other fishermen appreciate it too. And if you can help a solo fisherman launch or load his rig, everyone else benefits! So, again, thank you for doing it the right way!

To add to my previous post, here is a link to the Minnesota Boater's Education course:

http://www.boat-ed.com/mn/course/p2-4_trailering.htm

(if necessary, copy and paste into a new browser window)

Scroll down the page to the animation showing the damage.

DO NOT POWER LOAD!

BTW, when 2 or more people are working together, and the guy in the boat cruises gently into the trailer, letting the forward momentum bring the boat up onto the trailer so the other person can attach the winch strap...that isn't power loading. But when the boat slides back down off the trailer and the operator guns the engine awhile to propel it back up onto the trailer...well, that is power loading and is a no-no!

I think its much safer craking it in . Some landings are shallow and you run the risk of hitting ground with lower unit, that be verry bad.

Load and unload at whatever's most comfortable.I think what your doing is just fine. From what Ive seen with roller you drive them on and sometimes they just roll back down.

Thanks guys, we had a surprise visit from 2 guys I know from the cities and the one has always been the "I know it all, and I am always right kinda guy" the other one didn't disagree and the hubby didn't argue with them but after they left he told me I was doing it right. I guess it is just nice to hear it from some more "Salty Old Dogs" that I am doing things right. I just couldn't imagine trying to motor on the trailer and then run to the front to clip it before it rolled off again. laugh

Barb:

With the low water levels last year, and at a lot of ramps this spring, I find it very useful to keep a pair of hip boots or waders in the boat or truck. That way you can wade out in the shallow water toward the end of the ramp to hook up your winch strap without getting wet. I've watched many guys (and done it myself) trying to balance on the tongue of the trailer while they tightwire their way out to hook the strap to the eye. You *will* slip and fall in, so you may as well put on the hip boots. There is also a device called a "Dr. Hook", sort of like a boat hook, that you put your winch strap hook in and use it to reach out and hook to the bow eye. But you are absolutely correct and the other guy was wrong.

It is a real pleasure to have an experienced partner, working as a team, to take care of the boat and the towing vehicle. It makes everyone in line appreciate the teamwork!

Barb:

Here's another response from me (dang, I'm all cranked up over this topic!)...

I asked one of my occasional fishing partners, at the launch ramp, if he wanted to take the truck up to the parking lot or if he wanted to take the boat out away from the dock and then come in for me when I got back there. He opted to drive the truck up to the lot. So I told him to be sure to get that trailer parked completely between the lines, if he was hanging over even 6 inches to pull through and go around and do it again. Nothing is more irritating than to find a parking slot is fouled up by some yayhoo's trailer hanging too far into it to allow another rig to park!

Now I know I'm all worked up on this topic! I'm going to reply to one of my own posts!

To the guys who use the docks at Clearwater Lake, Black Pool access, Annandale area: if you are sitting on the dock fishing, with your lawn chairs, tackle boxes, fishing rods laying all over the place, etc...get your stupid $%&@#$*&%$^! a$$e$ OFF THE DOCK when boats are launching and loading. It is a BOAT DOCK, not a fishing pier. Read the sign! We are moving fast with a lot of moving parts happening, with other rigs waiting to launch and load. We're not too proud to "stumble" over a tackle box (oops! my bad! look, some of them float and some don't!) and I'm the guy who didn't feel too badly when I heard the Rice Crispies sound of fishing rods on the dock (snap, crackle, pop) when I was scrambling to tie up. Oh, me so sorry! I hope my dock line didn't hurt you when it snaked in, head high, while I was pulling my boat around! I only wish I had a couple of your bobber rigs wrapped around my prop when I drove out...would have loved to see you chasing your rods up the road! IT IS A BOAT DOCK!

Barb, are you getting your boat on the trailer? If the answer is yes, then you are doing it right.

From the sounds of things you know what you're doing quite well. If you have a system, then follow your system. If others don't like your system then they can do their own thing.

I think croix hit on the head, common courtesy is all. Not everone has the same ability, knowledge, or practice. Take some time to help a guy out at the launch and not just sit in his seat and grumble. But, you definetly see the common sense/ sommon courtesy thrown out the window way to much, from what looks like it wasn't their first rodeo, kind of irritating.

I'm kinda curious about something on this topic. Why doesn't the DNR make the ramps longer if this "power loading" thing is such a big issue? Here in Mo. I've never had a problem with loading or unloading. And I haven't seen anyone down here use a winch to load a boat. You'd be surprised to see 50-100 bassboats get loaded after a tournament in a very quick amount of time. It's almost like a fine swiss watch running. The way these reservoirs fluctuate you'd think we would really have problems.

I can see where you could get frustrated with ramp courtesy when you have 20 or 30 people winchin boats on their trailers.

One thing I'm glad I read about the no power loading thing on here. When I come up there for my fishing trip next week I'll make sure I don't load my boat with the big motor. Had no idea you couldn't load a boat that way. Guess things have really changed since I lived there 20 years ago.

Ya'll take care and see you next weekend!!

When I'm loading, I try to back my trailer in as close to the dock as possible. That way it is much easier to pull the winch strap over to the bow eye, hook it, then go up to the truck and crank it on. The whole process of connecting and cranking takes maybe a minute or so (I'm talking about loading by myself here). Of course, you've got to be able to back your trailer efficiently and accurately. By myself, the biggest delay from when I tie up (on the far side of the dock, away from the ramp) is walking up to get the truck. Once the trailer is in the water, it takes a minute or two to pull the boat around to the ramp side. One person can be out of the ramp area in less than 5 minutes. 2 people make that job much faster, which is why it's always nice to help the person loading or launching by himself. Most of the dumb stuff we see happens right away in the spring, before we have re-learned how to do it right!

H20 I dont think you should come to the ramp expecting someone to help you especially if you think that it is YOUR DOCK relax man mabey that guy whos fishing from the dock can help you its not a perfect world so relax slow down. Whats the big deal I cant really think of the words to reply to your posts. Its a lake access some of the money comes from taxes some of it from lottery and other funds but alot of those docks (BOAT DOCKS FISHING PIERS) are donated by Muskies Inc Walleyes Inc and other clubs and lake associations So Ill say again SLOW DOWN TAKE A BREATH APPRECIATE!!!!!!!!

Launching and landing alone is tough. When landing, if people are around and I can, I'll beach my boat and go get my truck. If I can't beach it I tie it to the dock and go get the truck. When landing, I get it in the water, tie to the dock, and go park the truck. If there are others there I let them go ahead of me as I don't want to slow down the process. Besides, what's the hurry?

The big thing we can't forget is to be nice to each other. Heck, we're going fishing for cripes sake. This is Minnesota and we are supposed to be decent to each other. You're gonna spend the day on teh lake enjoying the great outdoors. Don't ruin your day, and others day, by being an ishy crab at the landing.

Nope, sorry. Not gonna give any on this issue. It is a boat dock, posted no fishing. And it's not one guy, it's a group of 3 or 4 at a time. Total dunderheads when it comes to recognizing what they should be doing. I don't care if they're fishing there when there is little or no traffic. But I do expect them to use some common sense and courtesy, much less respect the regulation.

Oh, and of course I don't come in to a dock "expecting" help! I am very capable of handling all the details myself. I even pull off to the side when it should be my turn, just to let other guys get out, knowing it takes me a bit longer to go get the truck, etc. I enjoy chatting with the other boaters, seeing if they had any success, or sharing with them what worked for me. And if someone is obviously a nimrod at the process of launching or loading, I enjoy lending a helping hand. None of this applies to the "dock nazis" mentioned earlier, however.

morelnmusky, I don't think H2O was implying that it was 'his dock', just talking about the rope.

Quote:
I hope my dock line didn't hurt you when it snaked in, head high, while I was pulling my boat around!

I also hate when people are fishing from the boat dock when the sign says 'no fishing'. You don't see too many boats tied up to the fishing pier!

Just my opinion here...