• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Tire pressure.

Sandmannd

Again, new to wheelers. Checked my tires last night and had next to no pressure. It says not to go over 36psi per wheel on them. I put 20 psi in each one. What should I have them at? It's a '93 yamaha grizzley 400 4x4.

Yes, operating pressure is always under 7 psi. Some go over that and are fine, but stay less than 10 for sure. Mine are normally at 4-5 psi. There should be a sticker on the wheeler saying what psi for front and rear. I would guess it is 5 psi.

It's a Kodiak, right?

The 36 max is when you are seating the bead. It probably read next to nothing because you were using a regular tire pressure guage. You need to use a low pressure guage.

You want low pressure for added traction. I was amazed at this same fact when I bought mine a while back as well. I found out that the higher pressures actually make it dangerous to ride as well.

Didn't even think of Runnings. I'll have to check them the next time I'm there.

The local ATV dealer didn't have one. Kinda odd.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm looking for a dial type, BTW.

I had to experiment a lot to find the right tire pressure and suspension setting to make my 2004 650 cat ride the best with me on it. About 8 psi in the front helps mine turn better. Add another rider and the suspension needs to be bumped up. I usually don't bother because of how slow I drive with a rider. I run my tires a little fuller (10-12) in the winter to keep the chains tight when pulling the fish house. Keep the suspension soft and tires low when on hills to handle better and bounce the back end less. Rode my friends polaris and it was way different.