• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Maxuum or powerdrive?

soldoncass

Question

Anyone have experience with both Maxuum and powerdrive bow mounts? What are the pluses and negatives on both? I like the sound of the Maxumm ads, where it "uses less battery power", but have you found that to be true? Any problems you have had with them? Which would you pick? Think I'll stick to the 12 volts for my 14' Lund if that makes a difference in your experience. Thanks for all of your replys, Dale

20 answers to this question

I've had both and prefer the Maxxum over the power drive. The power drive requires battery to power the steering servo where the Maxxum is cable driven. The cable driven steering allows instant change in direction while the power drive has a slower response time. The one advantage to the power drive is the longer cable to the foot pedal which allows steering from anywhere in the boat wher as the maxxum can only be controlled from the bow platform. The maxxum also has a much heavier duty bracket which will withstand more abuse. I fish big water in heavy winds a lot so I would reccomend the maxxum. It's incredible how much abuse it will take.

Good luck!
Jeff S

I sold the power drive that came with my boat and bought a maxum.

Lowering and Raising the Maxum is a breeze snap the rope and do it one handed. I can pull the prop to the surface of the water with the rope and get myself into or out of shallow water one handed.

The power drive can be a struggle to lower or raise, you need both arms and a strong back and with any luck you won't fall out of the boat doing it. This is the main reason I sold it. You really need to climb up in a boat that has a power drive and try before you buy.

The power drives electric turning system is nice in one way because you can point it a direction and if there is no wind or no current and no waves the boat will move in that direction.

The cable drive steering on the Maxum gives you quick steering ability. If you are fishing in wind or current it is a big advantage. The power drive is very slow and makes boat control a bit of challange in the wind.

The foot control of the power drive is smaller and easier to manage. Than a cable drive.

I am sure you will be happy with which ever of the two you buy as long as it is not the Power Drive. lol

sold. i'm with these guys! i had a power drive on my S16 lund. bought it so i could run it from any where in the boat.( the kids were little) i put a max. on my bass boat and the fisherman i bought this spring . i also had ; and have read of guys having problems with the contacts on the power drive getting dirty and not working very well. ( had to take it apart and clean them once in a while) and yes the battery life with the max. is very good .del

A negative I've always heard about the Maxxum is that if you let your foot off the pedal, the motor stops and swings to the left (or something similar). With a PD, if you let your foot off it keeps going where it was headed. Plus you can buy it with the Co-Pilot, Universal Sonar and/or Autopilot.

The positive with the Maxxum is the immediate turning if your fishing very tight structure.

Mine is a real pain to deploy.

I have a 74LB with a 60" shaft. I have to push the motor with my foot to get it to deploy..

I am hoping it is because it is new, and needs to get broken in.

There is an adjustment screw to control the tension on the pedal of the Maxxum trolling motor. If you set it right, it should stay right where you took your foot off of it. I've had both the Maxxum and the Powerdrive and I prefer the Maxxum by quite a bit.

I'll never go back to a powerdrive.

I actually went to a All-Terrain, which is cable driven and less expensive than the Maxx, but you do not get the maximizer either.

My battery life has almost doubled and the turning response time is sooooo much better.

The only thing that will take getting used to is the larger foot peddle, but after a few times out you'll have no problem getting used to it.

I also found that it will keep on track better the more level it is on the bow in relationship to the water.

Go with the Maxxum or the All-Terrain.

PowerDrive AP. I don't claim to be an expert at this, but the PD/AP is a nice unit. ArmorAll or something similar makes deployment a snap. Mine goes where I want it to and with the AP on it stays on a courser just fine. Not knocking the Maxxum, but when you add cable drives and larger footpads etc. you start losing my interest. I have the PD/AP 65 24v and I can't imagine needing anything more on a 1750 Crestliner FishHawk.
NOTE: not knocking Maxxum, just asking that you not underestimate the PD/AP and its features that are NOT on the Maxxum.

The point is,
Most of us who have said to go with the maxxum or All-Terrain have owned PD's or PD/AP's in the past. And most of us would not go back to them.

Excellent topic and discussion. This has answered most of my own questions. 12 V versus 24 V. I currently have a 12 V, and was thinking of upgrading to a 24 V on my next purchase but wondering why I should, as the 12 V has yet to leave me out of power. I have an 18 Starcraft, with 28lb 12 V trolling motor (PD) that does pretty decent. Was thinking of a 54 lb 12 v or 24V. Any thougts?

I am a true believer of the Maxxum. So I would have to agree with the rest of the guys. In SD, I fish a lot of flooded timber. The ability to instantly change direction with the Maxxum is important. Not to mention, when I don't see the tree stump or log in time, the Maxxum is designed to break away.

It is also no doubt the easiest motor to deploy and bring up out of the water.

To answer Hillb question about the 12 vs 24 vt t-motor, if your boat is wired for 12/24 trolling motor, then I would get the 24. It really depends on your style of fishing. Are you the type of fisherman that will cast for 12 hours? Then I would get a 24. But if you do nothing but drift, then a 12 will do. That is just my opinion, I am sure others wouln't agree.

This is a good discussion and lots of differing opinions and points. I think it depends a lot on the particular applications you'd be getting the motor for. I'm actually the opposite of Tom H- I used to own a Maxxum and now own a 12V AP and I'd definitely never go back. Since I got the new motherboard and compass in the AP (upgraded technology) I love the AP. The Maxxum may be fine for some, but it didn't fit my needs very well.

Different folks for different folks I guess.

------------------
Scoot

RodsbyEngel: custom made fishing rods

I don't think you can beat an Auto Pilot when fighting or landing a fish and nobody seems to have mantioned this. I primarily fish big open water and it is quite handy to have especially in wind. With the AP on, I can look down or walk to the back of the boat and not worry about being blown off a spot. Just an opinion.

My last comment on stowing the Power Drive. I agree that silicone will help the shaft to slide better for a while and if you use silicone you will not have to use your legs and back as much to stow the motor.

But you still have to use one hand to pull the lever and the other to pull up the motor then switch to using both hands to twist the motor so the lower unit is turned correctly.

When you have a storage area in the bow like I do you will find your self leaning over the bow of the boat to reach the lever. Leaning over the water with both hands busy could put you in the drink, not good thing after ice out or before.

I will agree the ability to move the foot control around the boat or run the motor with a key fob is sweet especially if you do not fish in the front of the boat.
But sooner or later you have to go to the front of the boat to stow the fn mfinhiemen thing.
Sorry, but I really didn't like mine.
I do however respect the opinons of those who do so if you buy one and it works for you thats GREAT !

ill stick to my original suggestion that you find someone who has a power drive and stow it a few times.
Then decide.