• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Forced air furnace in fish house

Big Dave2

I've got a 6.5' x 12' wheel house that I built about 10-12 years ago and I want to re-do the inside before next year's ice season. I'm thinking about replacing the un-vented heater I have in there now for a vented forced air RV furnace but I have a few questions.

What size furnace do I need? 

How long will the furnace last on a deep cell battery when I don't want to run a generator? 

Any other type of vented heater I should consider?

If you go with a wall mount you don’t have to worry about electricity, and you can install the fan kit on it when you do have electricity. I would go at least 20,000 BTU, insulation In those days isn’t what it is today. Plus no furnace is 100% efficient.

My house is a 6.5 x 14 plus v. I have a suburban Nt-20SEQ. It is not ducted, although they do make a a ducted model. It heats my house up really quick, but I also have spray foam from top to bottom. Depending on how you insulated it, you may be able to get by with a 16k BTU, but it draws the same amps as the 19k. Going the none ducted model saves you 0.4 amps.

https://www.airxcel.com/suburban/products/furnaces/ntq-p-series/ntq-series-medium-rvs

Back to your question though..... How many AmpHour is your battery? As a starting point, I suggest that you assume that your furnace is going to be running 40% of the time. It is all dependent on how well you are insulated, but it is a starting point. Usually for a 12v Deep Cell battery, only 50% of the AH is usable... So if you had a battery with 100 AH, you have 50 usable. If the furnace draws 2.7 amps and runs 40% of the time that means that you are using 1.08 amps every hour - meaning that you should be able to run about 50 hrs on a battery.

I have used both types. Here are some of the pros and cons of each type...

Direct Vent Wall Furnace (aka Empire)

Pros

• No battery usage
  • Quiet heat

Cons

• Takes up more room (both inside and outside of the house)
  • Not very even heat (the guy sitting next to the heater always bakes...)
  • More expensive than a fan forced

Power vent fan-forced Furnace (aka Suburban)

Pros

• Heats quickly and evenly
  • Keeps floor warmer due to fan
  • Can be configured in a small space

Cons

• Noisier than a wall unit (although the new suburban models with the "q" in the name draw less juice and are a lot quieter)
  • Requires power to run

These guys pretty much covered it.  The Suburban NT20SQ is a good unit, and is nice and quiet, without drawing a ton of power.  If you are needing batteries soon, I'd highly suggest picking up the (2) GC2 6 volt golf cart batteries from Sam's Club for around $85/each.  That'll get you 230 amp hours, so you can run an easy 3-4 day weekend without drawing down your batteries too much.  

Plan your cabinet to have adequate return air venting, and clearance around the furnace and vents.  Acoustic foam makes a huge difference in terms of noise.     

9 hours ago, Hawg said:

If you go with a wall mount you don’t have to worry about electricity, and you can install the fan kit on it when you do have electricity. I would go at least 20,000 BTU, insulation In those days isn’t what it is today. Plus no furnace is 100% efficient.

Are you talking about an Empire or something else? 

Is it possible to have a wall hanging vented heater with a blower that you don't have to run if you are low on battery power? That may be ideal if it exists. 

Edited by Big Dave2

22 minutes ago, Big Dave2 said:

Are you talking about an Empire or something else? 

Is it possible to have a wall hanging vented heater with a blower that you don't have to run if you are low on battery power? That may be ideal if it exists. 

As far as the blower goes.. I don't think that Empire makes a 12VDC version... maybe some of the others do?

I have a Empire that I use in a 12" homemade wheel house. They don't make a blower for 12v just 110.  I have 2 computer fans and a 12" ceiling

fan to move the air. If it is real cold out it does take some time to warm it up. I have the 15000 btu and I paid around 650 two years ago.

We put a Williams 30,000 BTU Direct Vent ($663 @ Menards) heater in our OLD and not very well insulated 8x16 ice castle. It will heat it up quickly and maintain heat no prob on the coldest days. We run a Clam fan unit hanging on the ceiling and it evens things out pretty well.

I have a 6.5 x 12 W/v front 3" walls floor cealing fiberglass insulation. I use a 12,000 btu vented convection heater from an old 78' P/U camper with added forced air. On Ottertail 1/11 - 15 temp at -17 to -21 wind @ 25 mph. Furnace ran for about 10 min. Than off for 15 mln. On ice from 2 pm to 11pm 4 days. Took off ice each night charged 2 parallel batteries & ran 1500 watt 110 heater keeping house warm. Burned 16# of propane over weekend. Have 2 compuuter fans & 4 speed auto fan (on low) to move air. Inside temp at 71 deg. Very even heat. Never run out of battery power. If i ever upgrade furnace i would use a 20 - 25000 BTU forced air RV furnace.

Housein1.thumb.jpg.b8c6233cbfbc9999768698ab36cbf20c.jpg

On 1/23/2018 at 8:00 AM, Lip_Ripper Guy said:

These guys pretty much covered it.  The Suburban NT20SQ is a good unit, and is nice and quiet, without drawing a ton of power.  If you are needing batteries soon, I'd highly suggest picking up the (2) GC2 6 volt golf cart batteries from Sam's Club for around $85/each.  That'll get you 230 amp hours, so you can run an easy 3-4 day weekend without drawing down your batteries too much.  

Plan your cabinet to have adequate return air venting, and clearance around the furnace and vents.  Acoustic foam makes a huge difference in terms of noise.     

Where would the acoustic foam be best placed?