Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

leech~~

Morel's 2017

56 posts in this topic

1 month to go and I'll being hitting the woods!

11150663_1607622159485773_3279564088990580696_n.jpg

I wouldn't know a morel from an hallucinating mushroom!!!!!!!:cry::sick::angry: but I sure like eating the safe ones!!!!!!!!

leech~~ likes this

1 hour ago, smurfy said:

I wouldn't know a morel from an hallucinating mushroom!!!!!!!:cry::sick::angry: but I sure like eating the safe ones!!!!!!!!

Good stay out of the woods!  Better safe then sorry.  ;)

smurfy likes this

Think it'll take that long?

1 hour ago, Borch said:

Think it'll take that long?

Depending what part of the state your looking for them. My spots and been within the same week or two the last 4 years.

15 minutes ago, leech~~ said:

Depending what part of the state your looking for them. My spots and been within the same week or two the last 4 years.

Hope the battery in that tracking device on your vehicle holds up!!:P:D

leech~~ likes this

Posted (edited)

Here's the "progression map" if you're into that kind of thing:

MAP.jpg

Edited by pikestabber
leech~~ likes this

a few were found down here in WC IL over the weekend

from what the "experts" (dnr biologists and noted shroomologists) say, soil temp 53-55* is when they start popping

we had that sunday but its dropped back near 50. i checked a few trees while turkey hunting today and didnt find any

heres a site that tracks soil temps

farm bureau soil temperatures

Yeah, I think our little mini blizzard last night may have slows us down up here in the Sota a bit! :(

Positive sightings in Luverne, MN! April 12... Might be sooner than you think for you southern folks :)

Our lilacs, here at the lake, have just started to bud out.

leech~~ likes this

Well this cold and rain an't helpen! :(

8 hours ago, leech~~ said:

Well this cold and rain an't helpen! :(

Patience young man, patience!!:P:grin:

The cold last night didn't help but I will expect them at the end of April here in SW WI, same as last year. On the south facing slopes at least. Haven't heard any yet but shouldn't be long.

leech~~ likes this

Well our lilacs were just starting to bud out yesterday and I was thinking we should go take a peek today. Unfortunately we got 2 inches of snow overnight and it's still coming down! I'm pretty sure Hubbard county will have to wait at least a week to ten days with the temps forecast.

leech~~ likes this

Went out today in the metro areas without any luck. Didn't even see any ramps in the usual spots, and I thought they were earlier than the morels. 

Was clearing some downed trees from trails this morning. Checked a couple of trees and would you look at that. I didn't look very hard so I'm sure there are more, but of course have to head to work. Cold weather predicted after today though...

IMG_20170424_123557047.jpg

leech~~ likes this

Lilacs are really leafing out here in central MN.  On my few walks through the woods, the mushrooms have been few and far between: No more scarlet cups, no pheasant backs, no oysters. I haven't went to my morel spots because there's no hurry and I don't want to trample them, but I doubt they're up very far around here if the pheasant backs haven't even fruited. I'll be back out today before the rain checking on things, though. 

leech~~ and gunner55 like this

Shaggy parasols are coming up in the shade garden again. Yum.

shaggy%20parasol.jpg

Lilac blooms are here, just haven't opened. Hearing some reports of good finds in the Houston and Lewiston areas of MN. I checked some new public areas today on the MN side. Could be decent later but too cold and wet right now. Will check some early season spots tomorrow but won't hope for much with the cold weather.

Yep 28 degrees and rain-snow is not going to be the best fungus growing weather! :(

Was doing some work in the woods today and found these. Of course I stopped and spent two hours looking for more, but this was it. Oh well, will probably be the earliest I've ever gotten to eat them.

IMG_20170427_162615210.jpg

gunner55, Stick in Mud and leech~~ like this

We went for a quick walk today at one spot and nothing, went over to another and we picked 70. We were only in the woods for about an hour. Hubbard county is on the board!

18222582_1485017844876308_4789669395801759024_n.jpg

leech~~ likes this

1 hour ago, Notime said:

We went for a quick walk today at one spot and nothing, went over to another and we picked 70. We were only in the woods for about an hour. Hubbard county is on the board!

18222582_1485017844876308_4789669395801759024_n.jpg

Crazy!  Didn't you guys just have snow the other day? :crazy: