Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Boar

Fridge with water hookup Q.

27 posts in this topic

wife got here dream fridge, with water, hook is supposed to be a snap. ok aint bad. nowthe problem i have is to.tap.into the cold line. the i mstal.calls for the saddle puncture thing to be afixed to the water line, i just reserve puncturing the water line. cause if things arnt working, or installed properly, i have to shut of main line and be with out water til i put in a compression valve. tell me do thes things work. pros.and cons??

20160809_144329.jpg

I haven't punctured yet. cant quite bring myself to do till I get some reviews.

Good thing waiting, Boar.  OK, ya asked.....they aren't recommended. There's far better. From my buddy, the master plumber.  My uncle too...master plumber for 60 years. They have a far higher chance of leaking than a regular valve.

Yup Reb is right.  I used to work for an appliance store 30 + years ago and we used those quick things all of the time.  A cool quick thing at that time.  Lot's of them end up leaking.  Cut the copper and put in a T and a valve on the side to your fridge.  Then plumb down to that size of fitting.  Now you can shut your water off when the ice maker conks out.  We want a frig with an ice maker too.  

gunner55 and RebelSS like this

whew!! thanks guys!! i knew i needed to wait.

ok next question, how coper to cut out to in stall a compresion valve T

RebelSS likes this

ha they arnt re comended, all retailers do, hardware store ect. lol but i just had a bad feeling of having no way to isolate a leek.

Dial 1-800-Plumber.   :grin:

3 minutes ago, Boar said:

ha they arnt re comended, all retailers do, hardware store ect. lol but i just had a bad feeling of having no way to isolate a leek.

When the water's spraying in yer face, yer pretty close.  :lol:

Does the pipe have any wiggle at the top or bottom?  If so, two cuts 1/2 inch apart or so with a pipe cutter(4 bucks at the store) clean up the ends with a wire brush then pop you T on.  I don't use compression on a line like that usually.  Just solder it on.  Heard good and bad about the snakebite connectors too.

LPS We seem to be timing our posts pretty well!

Edited by Moon Lake Refuge

Emery cloth the fittings and flux, flux, flux!!!  Heat to cherry red and let it suck that solder in!!!  

O poo, you guys beat me!  :grin:

And must be dry.  Actually soldering is kind of fun Boar.  Just need a propane torch and you are set.  

RebelSS likes this

Also they make pre soldered connections.  I usually add a bit just because I dont trust myself with the amount they add but they are good for telling you when your at the right temp at least.  If you havent done much before with T's I usually fit all three and do them all at once so I dont have to reheat my connections.

RebelSS and LindellProStaf like this

44 minutes ago, LindellProStaf said:

And must be dry.  Actually soldering is kind of fun Boar.  Just need a propane torch and you are set.  

That could  get  dangerous with Boar......*POP*WHOOOOSH*  :lol:

gunner55 likes this

I have had good luck with the Sharkbite snap together connectors.  A little expensive but for one connection it won't kill you.  They work on PVC or copper.  Make one cut and snap it together and you are done.

PurpleFloyd likes this

Here is a picture of mine. I used a shark bite tee to a copper pipe shutoff valve

image.jpeg

Edited by rossco1418
PurpleFloyd likes this

I previously had a saddle valve at my old house that hadn't been hooked up in a long time. Long story short is when I went to hook up the waterline it broke and shot water all over myself and the basement. They may not fail in the next 10 years but will eventually. 

2 hours ago, spearchucker said:

I have had good luck with the Sharkbite snap together connectors.  A little expensive but for one connection it won't kill you.  They work on PVC or copper.  Make one cut and snap it together and you are done.

I agree. On bigger jobs soldering is the way to go but this situation is perfect for sharkbites or the John Guest fittings. 

big question, should I go on the cold line just abouve the water hearter/ where is the ideal place to place a vaulve.

rosco, how you attach that valuce to the copper was it threaded.?

I'd put it as close to the fridge access as you can. It doesn't draw much water so it shouldn't be an issue where you put it on the cold water side. 

Not threaded. That was a compression fitting on the valve. Basically it has a collar that you put on and tighten the nut and it compresses the collar

image.png

Edited by rossco1418

Just a suggestion...I'd put it where there's lots of easy access, and won't cause a disaster if it starts to leak. 

One other suggestion is that I would install a reverse osmosis unit to feed the fridge. They can be purchased relatively cheap on the interwebs and will give you great tasting water and crystal clear ice cubes. 

I'd recommend a copper line instead of the plastic one. When I inspected flooring for warranty and insurance claims I saw  lot of damage caused by those plastic lines cracking behind the fridge and flooding kitchens.

cavalierowner likes this

Yep, I learned my lesson with plastic, but it took a while. When it developed a pinhole for the third time in about 9 years, I replaced the whole thing with copper. And yes, it was the correct type of plastic.

Edited by cavalierowner
Pat K and TimothySr like this