• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Snaps for crankbaits?

bassfshin24

I use the No-knot Fas-nap.  I get the black ones and use the smallest size for the lure I can. Use them with my ice gear and all year long. I still prefer a direct tie or a tiny swivel, though.

s-l225.jpg

Edited by RebelSS

I use the Berkley cross lock snaps. Usually without the swivels, but sometimes on lipless cranks I will use the swivel ones. Just having the extra swivel piece on lipless cranks has saved me  more than a few Pike bite offs.

Edited by RuddyDuck

On 2/21/2016 at 10:29 PM, RuddyDuck said:

I use the Berkley cross lock snaps. Usually without the swivels, but sometimes on lipless cranks I will use the swivel ones. Just having the extra swivel piece on lipless cranks has saved me  more than a few Pike bite offs.

People think I'm crazy when I say it makes a difference in bite offs but it really does. I can't tell you how many pike I've caught on cranks and jerkbaits where the snap and swivel are draped across some teeth.

I use Danielson or Berkley snaps on my cranks. Easier to change them, do think the action's a little better too. 

You do have to keep an eye on the snaps though. They wear out eventually. As soon as I start seeing metal on the bend of the snap I replace it. Also have to remember to retie once in a while.

I don't remove the split rings. I'm lazy though and hate dealing with split rings. That would be a whole lot of them to deal with on all the cranks I have! But, I'm not sure if it really matters, guess you can experiment with them on or off and see what you like.

On 2/21/2016 at 1:52 AM, Search Function said:

I use Norman Speed Clips.  Simple to switch cranks, topwater, jerks, and chatterjigs. Plus I fish from shore a lot so the lure goes on when I get to the water and comes off before I get back to the car.

Do you remove the split rings on your cranks when using the Norman Speed Clips? I see that they recommend that you do. I don't like the idea of removing all the split rings.

Doug Stange, of In-Fisherman, says that the gap in the split ring will get up against the eye on the lip of the crankbait & hinder the action. Making it run right or left more than it should & if you leave the split ring on that you should tie directly to the gap

Edited by gunner55

When you guys do you snaps on your cranks do you take the split ring off the crank?

Yes I take the O-ring/Split ring off and just use the snap.  Some cranks are a PITA to get a snap on, so may need to leave the O-ring/Split ring on and tie direct.  95% I use snaps though.  

Edited by EBass
can't spell