• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Good Morning-Weekend Edition

Good Morning,  Great news!  You are going to enjoy your deer hunting this year more than you have been.

I think for most, last year gave a few more deer sightings than the previous seasons.  Very little snow this year and an expected mild February and warm March are going to help even more.  Attach those cattle guards to your trucks, pick up some more ammo, and update your sausage grinding gear in preparation.  I'm envisioning a few things:

1.  a Jayco trailer next to a meat pole of 4 deer hanging and a retired butcher with a large smile on his face.

2.  Bobby Bass and his crew of misfits hitting the sack early from being tired from dragging deer.

3.  a 6 week HSO football contest where the winners are begging to not be sent venison prizes due to lack of freezer space.

seems the outdoors is a trade off and diversity helps.  A bad snow season, late ice, warm weather may hurt you on some of your pursuits but help you in others.  Great luck!!!

4 deer would be nice!!  Good Morning!.  Ya that 1974 Jayco loves to be there during the firearms season.  It will sit in Northern Minnesota once again regardless of condition.  Fire ring nearby, with story tellers surrounding it, with some stories actually having some truth within the tales.  Hopefully this weather continues, our deer herd needs it, especially up north.  More deer and more wolves as well.  Less deer and less wolves also.  Last season I didn't hear any wolves at all.  Which is very unusual.  Sitting around the fire at night, we often hear the wolves, but not last year or the year before.  However about 4 miles down the road where friends of ours own about 380 acres of hunting land they did hear wolves with one sighting of a loner.  I went there on the last weekend of the season [my Jayco only is up there the first 5 days of the season].  I sat in a stand surrounded by large white pine's with an open area in front of me.  It was cold up there the last weekend and the wind made it a tad bit colder.  Didn't see anything the whole morning and by noon I came back to the shack to get ready to go home.  As I walked back on the trail to the shack I notice a fresh set of large wolf tracks go right over my boot tracks I made going up to the stand.  Have mixed feelings about wolves.  I have nothing against them, and have seen some in the wild there over the years.  But I do know they need to be controlled at times.  Most of all though I just love being there.  Firearms season has to be my favorite time of the year.  good luck.

Just keep them wolves up north where they belong! The coyotes are nuisance enough for us "suthner's". Although the DNR likes to remind people they take out feral cats and fox which they claim is a positive for the pheasants. So what do you suppose the coyotes live on besides that and people's dogs, fawns, calves and lambs? Air? Weekend sleep schedule so chores didn't get done until about 8. Mexican was great last night and am in preparation for the afternoon grilling. It's supposed to storm ya know! The one weather terrorist already has I-35 shut down. Meanwhile the makings of the storm are still off the west coast yet. Hmmm...perhaps getting a little ahead of ourselves? Overnight .08" of rain so it's treacherous on top of the ice. Gopher women's BB tipoff at 11:30 so should have plenty of time to grill afterwards and maybe take some action photos.

Paul Douglas says that the models aren't matching up and that my neck of the woods may only get a few inches.  That makes me nervous but I'm seeing the NW suburbs dodging a lot of snow from my own model.  Paul also referenced the European Model.  Hmmm.  First, he referenced it as though he referenced Kleenex and we all know what that model is.  Second, I think he wishes he did live in Europe.  Third, he finally seems gun shy enough this year to keep it so vague that he may claim victory on this prediction.  I've got him at zero for two this year for the metro area.  It's awesome we've only had two "storms" predicted so far.

I'm completely flummoxed on what to smoke today.  I'm past the time for a few items so I can check those off the list.  If I wait much longer I'm going to be smoking brownies again.

Wedder morjits say I'm gonna get smucked down here 8-10" and a blizzard. Already talking about closing schools. Meh. Sissy's. I'll be out and about in Mr Sparkle's, he loves plowing thru the snow. Gotta turn  that knob to 4WD sometime. :grin:

Edited by RebelSS

5 minutes ago, reinhard1 said:

Great price at Cubs on baby backs [2.88 lb.] and wings [4.98 per bag, 3 pounds].  That may be a good idea to smoke.  good luck.

with that tip it's what's for dinner tonight.  We haven't had ribs for quite a while after I made them too often for a while.  Wife and I are heading out on a little shopping spree.  She said she had to shower first and I was going to tell her to skip it but after that Walmart photo of that lady posted this week I'm making sure all hygiene and clothing worn are top notch.  I may even not wear camo pants in case we see someone we know.  

I'm envisioning a garden today.  We have a tiny one and I may encroach beyond my backyard into the "native" area.  It's a major violation in these parts to venture into that area but it's not like I'm going to graze cattle in it.  Just a little garden providing for my family in a sustained Democrat fashion!

If some of these knobs get elected, you may HAVE top have a small garden to live on. The wedder morjits are really turning the Danger Danger crank here..."Roads may be impassable...have your emergency supplies...blah blah". Can we get back to the 60's type of forecast? "Lots of snow coming"  ...and we got thru it OK, didn't we? Gave me the fun of building snow forts and tunnels to play in....after my Dad made me dig out that driveway. We learned hard work at an early age. 9-10 years old, going house to house asking to shovel out driveways....bet ya'd never see that now. I was always in trouble because I never came inside, missed lunch a lot, late for supper, etc. Had to be outside all the time. Things sure have changed with kids today. I suppose the grocery stores will be bonzo today, with everyone stocking up on milk and eggs and bread....I'm thinking of doing like in the Summer around here, where the pickup trucks loaded with sweet corn on are every corner. I'll load Mr. Sparkles up with milk, bread and eggs, and find a good corner....:grin:

337d13fe2621ccc09f18facacb18a8b4.jpg

Edited by RebelSS

I'm not happy with RH.  Rainbow was out of the half pork loins.  There was one left in the case and for some reason it was sliced into about 1/2" pieces.  Why is it his fault?  Like a hot fishing spot he posted his canadien bacon recipe and the biggest store in town is out of the main ingredient because everyone is making it.    

They did have ribs though.  Kind of proud I peeled the skin off in one shot, didn't even have to use a paper towel to grip it.  Frankly I feel like a butcher right now.  

10 minutes ago, leechlake said:

I'm not happy with RH.  Rainbow was out of the half pork loins.  There was one left in the case and for some reason it was sliced into about 1/2" pieces.  Why is it his fault?  Like a hot fishing spot he posted his canadien bacon recipe and the biggest store in town is out of the main ingredient because everyone is making it.    

They're stocking up for the MEGASTORM, you silly goose. :grin: Besides, I just dug down in the freezer for a pack of my ribs....GADZOOKS! I'M OUT!!! That NEVER happens here.....fudge.

Looks like I'm gonna have a ham instead. That'll work.

Edited by RebelSS

Reb-  There was nobody at the store.  Frankly, I think we have an epic issue looming and it's The Boy that Cried Wolf.  Nobody is listening in the metro.  Throw in the pandemic report issued last week about a mosquito borne bug and either people have given up or have lower their guard so much they may get knocked out.  

On the store note I failed.  I looked around at one point and a few women had no make up on and I was no "winner" myself.  I had a pair of pheasant hunting style pants on and an orange Minnesota Deer Hunters Association vest on.  We only grabbed three items and the creme of tartar jar I just put in my vest pocket after checkout.  It fell out of the hole in my pocket before we got out of the store.  Funny, I don't wear the vest hunting anymore for two reasons.  One, it has a hole in the pocket and two is that it's a muted orange at best.  Why the MDHA made non blaze orange fleece vests I will never understand.  The worst is that I wear it as though it's fashionable.  I'm a loser :)

Edited by leechlake

2 minutes ago, RebelSS said:

I like to stand by the veggies with my "Studmuffin" hat on, and my T-shirt that says "I'm a Vegetarian...may I check your melons?" :tired:

you wear that over to the neighbor lady's house too????????:P:lol:

wayyyyyyyy I get to go to red wing Tuesday!!!!!!!!:mad::cry:

we are supposedly right on  the edge, as of now  there predicting 1 to 3 inches and possibly nothing. gotz plenty of food and refreshments!!!!!

40 minutes ago, smurfy said:

you wear that over to the neighbor lady's house too????????:P:lol:

wayyyyyyyy I get to go to red wing Tuesday!!!!!!!!:mad::cry:

we are supposedly right on  the edge, as of now  there predicting 1 to 3 inches and possibly nothing. gotz plenty of food and refreshments!!!!!

Is there a time limit you can sit in Bev's swilling coffee, using the storm for an excuse??   :P :D

Edited by RebelSS

5 minutes ago, leechlake said:

if he doesn't beat the local highway crew in, after they pour their 2 yards of concrete for the day, he's going to be standing the whole time holding his welder.... :)

Or tooting his boiler whistle. *PHWEEEEEE*   :lol:

8 hours ago, leechlake said:

if he doesn't beat the local highway crew in, after they pour their 2 yards of concrete for the day, he's going to be standing the whole time holding his welder.... :)

Our guys get that done in the first half hour;

Before I get started this fine Saturday morning I need to pull out my Joe Friday style pocket notebook and see what items I'm banned from discussing....hmmm....nudist football (check)...politics (check)....being chipper(check).  I guess being a smart a$$ could be added to that list for tomorrow :)

It's dark outside right now and very quiet.  The dogs love getting up with the first person and charging down for chow.  They eat, go outside and then go back to bed, complete silence around here.  I can here the water softener down stairs...I think it needs salt.  Great project for a 17 year old who made some "bad choices" last week like ditching his sister from a ride home from school again.  Beauty was he also banged into his buddy's bumper in his truck so when he got home and told me I didn't have to yell at him for the bumper (accidents happen) but did sideswipe him about the sister part.  It was perfect timing and she walked in from getting off of the bus I started scolding him for the ride issue.  She high fived me as she walked by and knew I had her back.  Maybe I can quit being a Democrat now?  Btw, I noticed yesterday that Hillary Clinton wears different wedding rings a lot.  Sometimes its big, sometimes an old lady style one, sometimes just some black stone, other ones too.  I don't know any women who wear more than one wedding ring.  

I slept perfect last night.  We watched some Halle Berry movie last night that was on regular tv, "The Call".  I'm not big on movie stars but that gal is about as perfect as a woman can be, I may have a crush on her.  Funny thing is  we tuned into some  Angelina Jolie movie when we went up stairs.  First thing I said to Deb is I've never seen an Angelina Jolie movie and I'd never heard her speak.  Don't get me wrong, she's an attractive lass but I will take Halle any day over her.  I may fret a bit pondering what I will do if Angelina comes a knockin' before Halle.  Fair thing to do, if it happens, would be to call Halle and give her 24 hours or so to make her mind up.  I think being a Democrat may be a good idea no matter which one comes :)

Finally, I'm curious to hear more on the Reb computer thing.  Getting new toys is fun and the hunt is probably more fun than the actual "gettin" part.  I also want to make sure he scrubs the old one good so all of our interesting, informative, and "top secret" posts don't end up in the wrong hands.  His computer could end up in a landfill next to a cooler full of walleye filets???

Edited by leechlake

Nice calm partly cloudy 21 degree morning here, the tree rats are active in the bird feeder keeping the cat entertained watching them. If anymore show up I may have to cause a population decline.

Sounds as if we could get a little snow and a lot of wind tomorrow, good reason not to go to my sister-in-laws (she's a Bronco fan and far -far-far right politically) which would make for an interesting afternoon. Well time for some more coffee and make some sausage and eggs. Keep smiling and for some try not to take it to hard when Denver goes down, start preparing for it early:D

Good morning all!!! Its a beautiful morning around here. I got up around 6, turned the coffee on, and got a fire going in the garage.

Speaking of tree rats, I've still got one around here that hasn't had a pill yet. I've been watching for it, and sooner or later I'll catch it off guard. 

I got all the chunks of soon-to-be canadian bacon rinsed and patted dry. They're sitting on a cooling rack now drying and working on getting to room temperature. I'll be putting them in the smoker in another hour or so.