• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Viking Surprises

Bobby Bass

Rodgers will be around for awhile yet.  You can never tell when age will start to creep in since its different for everyone and you can't predict the bad luck of injuries but I see nothing to indicate that Rodgers won't be playing at a high level for at least the next 5 years. That also gives the Packers the luxury of taking their time in looking for his replacement.

That is one of the big advantages that teams with franchise QB's have.  They can take their time when looking for future QB's.  They can afford to be picky and they have time to develop them when they do pick one.  Teams without a franchise guy are more often forced to take a leap of faith with one of the 1st round QB's out of desperation and then throw them into the fire day one.  Its a big risk because if you are wrong you wasted 2-4 years, countless millions of dollars, and you are right back where you started picking another QB out of desperation. The Vikings know this all to well, as do about 2/3rds of the teams in the league. 

Given what we know now I don't see the Vikings as the clear future of the division.  At best I can see the Vikings and Packers trading off as division winners for the next few years.  I'm not concerned about the Lions or Bears as both seem to be a mess right now.

Nice game by the Vikes. Balanced attack with Peterson rushing and Teddy hitting some timely throws. D has to get an A for shutting the Giants down and We missed Smith who had a pick 6. Quick hitting passing routes and Teddy got rid of the ball. Lets give a little love to Walsh.... five field goals outdoors in very cold weather. One off the post but many more went between. I had both the D and Walsh in both of my Fantasy football championship games and won them both because of their over the top scores...

But right now it is clear Rodgers needs help, and as it stands right now I don't think a 31 year old receiver off major knee surgery is enough to right that ship. McCarthy doesn't seem to be making any adjustments to help the Packers. The teams they have beat recently have for the most part (including us) beaten themselves.

It will be interesting to see if the Packers finally look to free agency to bring in some talent.  They have built almost exclusively through the draft and have done a great job doing it.  But going that route takes time.  With Rodgers getting older there will come a time when they have too many needs and too little time to address everything through the draft.  I got to believe there are high level WR's that would welcome a chance to play with Rodgers if the Pack would be open to signing them through FA.

32 minutes ago, creepworm said:

Alshon Jeffrey is the only above average wide receiver that will be a free agent this year, and he will almost certainly get the franchise tag. 

The WR free agency landscape is hideous.

An elite QB can make a below average WR much better. Just ask Sidney Rice.

4 hours ago, creepworm said:

If you are looking for an argument, you will not find one here.

Just stating a fact.

2 hours ago, Slabasaurus said:

An elite WR can make a below avg QB look like Joe Montana.  Just ask Daunte Culpepper.

Here's something you probably don't hear very often from me: You're right!

:D

Playoff football, something we have not had in these parts for awhile.. As I see it the first series that MN has will be the most important one for the Vikes.. If we are three and out it is going to be a long day. If we put together a drive and score some points we have a game. Lynch will not be playing for Seattle but I don’t think he really ever was going to. I think he was out there for something that MN had to prepare for and had to spend time in practice on. With him out I think the Vikes are better off. Big player to watch for MN is who ever they assign to shadow Wilson, he has to be contained. Need to keep the chains moving and the D needs to stop drives. Pretty simple game plan, Score more then Seattle and don’t let Seattle score..