• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Leeches

T-water

So I'm wondering if anybody else has tried this. I've had about ten leeches in my fridge for almost two months without changing the water (forgot they were there). I think what saved the leeches was that my daughter put a bunch of lake sand in the container the last time we were fishing. I'm wondering if the sand didn't help filter the water a bit??? Anybody else do this?

I have never done that, however the sand could have held bacteria beneficial to water quality. One thing I have noticed is my tapwater will kill leeches (city water) but if i use the water from the carbon filtered pitcher in the fridge they will last weeks if i dont forget them.

City (tap water) will kill leeches because it contains chlorine to eliminate bacteria. The charcoal (carbon) in your water filter will remove the chlorine from the water.

Leeches in their natural environment, will burrow themselves into sand/mud, coming out to feed or cruise around at night.

I had quite a few die on me on my last trip.I was wondering what could be the cause as I can usually keep them for weeks even a month or more.No more than 2 or 3 dozen in a plastic quart container with cold lake water changed every 2-3 days.

So I'm wondering if anybody else has tried this. I've had about ten leeches in my fridge for almost two months without changing the water (forgot they were there). I think what saved the leeches was that my daughter put a bunch of lake sand in the container the last time we were fishing. I'm wondering if the sand didn't help filter the water a bit??? Anybody else do this?

So to answer your question T-water I just read an article by Perry Good (PWT tournament fisherman). He was talking about Leeches and how to keep them alive. He said in the article that Leeches need to clean themselves to stay alive longer. One of the ways that they do this in the wild is to burrow into the sand! Sounds like you (and your daughter) might be on to something!

Lake water isn't cold, unless it is in the refrigerator. I was told this time of year leeches will die in a few days unless refrigerated. (joe in cook)

I keep my boat in the lake all summer(covered by a canopy to keep rain and sun off it)and leeches in the live well. They've been in there for a month, and doing just fine.

I do fish almost every day, and add fresh lake water through the live well water pump.

The lake water was refrigerated for at least a day maybe 2 so it was cold.I also used a strainer & poured some of the fresh lake water over them to rinse some of the crud off them.This is really puzzling as I use leeches all the time,often they are the only thing I use,plus I have been buying by the 1/2 lb & lb for years without any problems.Most of the time I keep them just in my Leech Tamer like GO described.

Actually the leeches you trap now, are this years "hatch." They're smaller than many like, and they don't trap as well as in the spring so most of the leech trappers hang it up.

Also, with schools re-opening, traffic in bait shops is down, & they don't want to buy something they will have trouble selling.