• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Meat Sales

I've worked in the meat departments for over 35 years and really never paid too much attention as what they do with the chickens once they do not sell [Deli].  They do have different guidelines as far as when you can no longer sell them or what you can do with them but you do make a good point.  Costco may roast chickens for the purpose of what you have mentioned or use left over chickens for that day for that purpose.   I think it would be a great idea doing that, for that is what I do and am sure most of us do with leftovers.  good luck.

Edited by reinhard1

I watched a guy at costco stripping the meat off chickens. 

I think they only leave them on the shelf for a couple hours.  I know they have a time stamp on the package.  My guess is they cook extra for the meat/salad/other stuff, and that their estimates of what will sell are pretty good.  But it is only a guess. 

I talked to a Deli manager that I know.  They do use the chickens for the soup and salads.  She told me that the reason for the larger size and lower price is for a "loss leader".  Even with the addition of using the left overs for the salad or soups, there are more chickens sold whole than used for other things, so still not making up for all the costs involved.  I do know that fried chicken that is left over at the end of the day is tossed.  Roasted chicken maintain's it's quality longer.  Hope they keep selling them at the low price.  good luck.

"I watched a guy at costco stripping the meat off chickens."

And then what??  What did he do with it? 

He was putting it in a pan.   I did not see beyond that.  I think they only use the white meat. 

Tossing the fried chicken reminds me of when my son was in High School  There was a donut place up at hillcrest in Rochester.  They knew some of the kids that worked there.  At closing time all the leftover donuts got dumped in a big garbage bag.  My son and his buddies would go by and pick it up.   Mmmm free donuts...

More stuff I didn't know at the time....

He was putting it in a pan.   I did not see beyond that.  I think they only use the white meat. 

Tossing the fried chicken reminds me of when my son was in High School  There was a donut place up at hillcrest in Rochester.  They knew some of the kids that worked there.  At closing time all the leftover donuts got dumped in a big garbage bag.  My son and his buddies would go by and pick it up.   Mmmm free donuts...

More stuff I didn't know at the time....

Hey...I had a female friend that worked there........ruh roh...:lol:

High school girl?  1990 or there abouts ?

Donut place at Hillcrest?! In the 90's?   I'm talking 72 or '73......right next to Phillip's 66 station...

WHOOPS! back to the thread.....Meat.

Edited by RebelSS

My son was born in 73 so he wasn't eating donuts then.  But the place was there for a long time.  As was the gas station until they blew up the sewers.

Hillcrest Hardware used  to be the place to buy fishing equipement back in those days, as well.  

You ever drive up behind Marion Hall and blow the horn?

Edited by delcecchi

My son was born in 73 so he wasn't eating donuts then.  But the place was there for a long time.  As was the gas station until they blew up the sewers.

Hillcrest Hardware used  to be the place to buy fishing equipement back in those days, as well.  

You ever drive up behind Marion Hall and blow the horn?

Marian Hall? At SMH? Uh, I nailed the guys that were doing that....anuj_cop.gif

Not on sale (as far as I could tell) but I picked up two 1 lb bags of cooked tail-on shrimp, large, and extra large size, for $6.79 and $7.49, respectively, at Walmart. Looking at the ads that are out, looks like this was a real bargain. I've had these from there before, and they're good ones, I find some are kinda "mushy". This brand hasn't been.

To be correct, the slaves weren't peeling shrimp for walmart.  The slaves were peeling shrimp for some folks a level or two removed who sold the resulting shrimp to walmart and other retailers.  As if those kids in the Chinese Tennis Shoe factory making the air jordans or the people in the Bangladesh sewing place that fell down were significantly better off.  

joking about slavery?   I would joke about you watching NBC before I'd do that.  I wouldn't worry about it since the going wage for non slave workers over there is probably 25 cents an hour.  

That's why I'm buying un peeled shrimp for the Holidays.  I care more than you!!!  My wife treats me like a slave every day.

joking about slavery?   I would joke about you watching NBC before I'd do that.  I wouldn't worry about it since the going wage for non slave workers over there is probably 25 cents an hour.  

That's why I'm buying un peeled shrimp for the Holidays.  I care more than you!!!  My wife treats me like a slave every day.

then you can use the shells to make stock for shrimp and grits.

yeah, fill us in Reb!  Don't post anything when she's there but fill us in right away when she leaves!  Get her picture too, tell her its for your screen saver on your phone.  

One tip, if you have any of her cookies left that you didn't like throw them away.  Tell her they were so good you ate em all.  

Also, if she's pro-slavery like you feed her a shrimp cocktail to start.

Edited by leechlake