• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

spend $299 on aqua-view? yes or no

Question

i know this topic pops up all the time, but i put a house on mille this year and i am thinking about getting an aqua-view. Is it worth $300 for the unit? I can either get a MC2X or IR for $299.
Is the newer (brighter) MC2X better over the IR?
Please give me an idea if its worth it for ice and open water.
Thanks and good fishing to all who get to ejoy the earlier ice!

15 answers to this question

I agree with Jigstick. My answer would be "depends on whether you have a Vexilar yet or not." You need to have the NECESSITIES before you buy any TOYS. A buddy has an OVS camera, which we've had some fun with, but we usually leave it home and bring along two Vexes. The camera can be very helpful to locate schools during the open water season!

I bought mine at a sale (return) for $ 55 and I use it sometimes, but I cannot see justifying $ 300 just to look at fish down there. It's unpractical, but entertaining on permanent house (helps killing time when they don't bite) and you might be able to see what fish is down there, but as a "need" I sincerely not recommend it. Spend money on a good flasher, that will help a lot your fishing, much more than camera.

I use mine only for pre-fishing tournaments, it helps to see what you looking at on the graph. If you're not fishing tournaments, spend the money on a good depth finder you won't be disappointed.

Try renting one and see how you like it.
I got mine for X-mas 3 years ago. I used it alot the first year. Last year we pulled it out to locate a cell phone that went down a hole. It don't get much use and seeings that it was a gift I plan on keeping it...
Good Luck...

I agree that a flasher is the important thing to have, but cameras are very fun. I don't use the camera much for actual fishing, but I could spend hours on the lake just looking around. It's great seeing what the structure really looks like & how the fish relate to it. You can learn a lot with a camera. I use a camera that my brother built with one of those spy cams, some pvc pipe & a small b/w tv. The same technology as the Aqua-Vu but only about $100 to make. Try hooking the underwater cam up to a video camera. You can shoot some great underwater video that's fun to review at home. Vern

I don't think you will be happy with it, I can't find an aqua view I am satisfied with. You just can't see far enough to make them usefull, plain and simple. They are not worth the effort of hauling them out, invest the same money in a nice trap so you can be faster on the move, that will imporve your fishing much more.

I love my camera. I find epecially useful in the summer.
In one case. I found out I was fishing for a school of redhorse instead of walleyes.

The camera teaches you exactly what the locator is showing. Hard bottom, concrete pilings, clambeds etc.

It is quite a bit of work to drag it around and set up but once it is set in a fish house it is good until you decide to move.

I also like to to see fishes responses to different lures. It is more of a learning tool than a fishing tool.

Mike

I am split on the whole Aqua View deal. I agree with some that if you absolutely need something to fish get a Flasher! They will tell much more in the long run and help you to catch fish. On the other hand, Aqua Views are cool to use. Looking at bottom structure, looking at fish, finding dropped fishing utensils...the list goes on and on. How ever in order to fish at night you will absolutely need at least the MCX2. Which will run you about $400. There are higher priced versions with more bells and whistles but you don't necessarily need them. Watch for sales on them too. Occassionaly you can get them cheaper. Good Luck!

thanks for all the great info so far.

i found a used catch cam at a local store that buys & sells equip. it worked, but the magnifying lense was scratched. With no battery, it was $189.95, and a couple of years old. i saw they had a new one there for $269. battery was $16.99 without charger. they only dicounted the unit 30%, now that doesn't come with a return policy or warranty. and the guy said he'd throw in a fin with it. It really didn't seem like as good of a deal the more i thought about it. Does anyone else think that seems steep. i was thinking i should only buy if i could get the price down quite a bit more. its multiple years old after all. a retail store would throw a very used electronic device on clearance shelf for 30% or more off, plus it wouldn't be as old. is it worth bargaining?

OKs, this one's got me stumped. I've seen these posts for a year, and finally I'm going to ackowledge that there must be SOMETHING I'm missing.

I've looked through those cameras, and enjoyed what I saw: The fish, the lure action, the fish's response to the lure, the structure, etc. Not only a learning tool, but a fish locator tool.

And I own a Vex, an FL8-SLT. It's on its fifth year with me.

Here's the rub. With the Vex, you're INTERPRETING the signal, in effect making educated guesses about what's down there.

With the camera, you're SEEING IT ALL. No guesses. So how can a Vex be more effective than an Aqua-Vu, especially in a permanent house, where you don't have to lug the camera around?

Is this a duh! moment for stfcatfish?

I'd say the biggest thing is that you are very limitted in what you can see with the camera. Crappies make for a good example- if your camera is looking at the bottom few feet of the water column, you could have a whole school of crappies scoot through a foot above the camera and never have a clue they were there! With the vex you get a look a the whole water column.
I'll definitely grant you though, the camera gives you different information that can be useful.
Another thing to consider- light, dark, gin clear water, murky water, etc... the vex has not problem where the camera will be greatly effected.
Scoot

A vexilar is a much better tool for ice fishing in my opinion. You can find the depth without haveing to drill through the ice. If a minnow is down there, you will mark it.

An Aqua-Vu is an AWESOME tool...but mainly for open water. A Vex doesnt help me much in open water...and an Aqua-Vu doesnt help much on the ice.

P.S. If you can afford it, get BOTH!

[This message has been edited by tjwierz2 (edited 12-11-2002).]

I must say that the new downviewing fin is rather helpfull for a different Vu. Genz has been using it and is very impressed. As far as what to get, I guess I'm just lucky I grew up with both a clearwater classic flasher(IMHO still one of the best) and an Aqua-Vu.