• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Wear a glove

HugoBox

Erik is a wuss... that was probably from when he stuck his hand in trolling motor prop... smile

BTW, for those keeping track... after I fixed the troll batts, he broke the copilot, then just the other night he sliced the x-ducer cord on the T/m.... again.... so he put the old LMS160 that big brother got years ago for him back on... haha! He is one man boat wrecking crew... but he is catching "smallies" so I guess I can forgive him smile

Does anyone find that it can be harder to handle a fish with a glove? Call me crazy but I feel like having a good feel on what your doing (grabbing gill, removing hooks) seems to be the most efficient way of handling and getting the fish back in safely? I've had my fair share of gill and tooth wounds but those were all on the forearm similar to HugoB's beauty marks and wouldn't have been prevented with the aid of a glove....except maybe a welder's mit.

I agree, I prefer to go in without a glove (much pun intended haha). I just feel like I have better control over the situation and the fish without one on. On the flip side I have yet to be scared up from a fish like HugoBox, I guess once I am rthe glove will look pretty inviting.

RU

BTW - nice piggy hugo that one looks like she has been feeding well. Congrats

Hiya -

I have a friend who says if ya ain't bleedin, ya didn't really catch one....but that's a bit much. I know of a couple guys who have had trips to the hospital where hooks were never involved.

I know I've been sliced up a few times, but....Hugo. Good God... That's nuts.

Personally I rarely put on a glove. I hate not being able to feel where my hands are at. The only ones I've found that I really can stand wearing at all are a pair I got from my nephew, who is a paramedic. He gave me a pair of "Extrication Gloves" made by Ringers. Paramedics and firefighters use them to pull people out of wrecked cars apparently. You can rub broken glass between your palms with them and not get cut, but they're sensitive enough to be able to feel someone's pulse with them on. Unfortunately I usually think of putting them one when the fish is gone and I'm standing there bleeding already... But if you wear gloves they're worth checking into.

cheers,

Rob Kimm

I used to be a bloody mess after most of my Muskies. I started using a glove and although I lost some finesse, I haven't lost any more blood.

Here is a picture that although may be slightly off topic, I think you are the group that will appreciate it.

J

HookedArm.jpg

HookedArm2.jpg

Does anyone find that it can be harder to handle a fish with a glove? Call me crazy but I feel like having a good feel on what your doing (grabbing gill, removing hooks) seems to be the most efficient way of handling and getting the fish back in safely? I've had my fair share of gill and tooth wounds but those were all on the forearm similar to HugoB's beauty marks and wouldn't have been prevented with the aid of a glove....except maybe a welder's mit.

I absolutely agree!! I much prefer tactile sensation when handling esox, especially the big'uns.

In addition, if the fish is gonna get stuck by a hook, I'm more than willing to let myself get a few nicks and scratches, especially because I feel that it makes for a safer release for the fish.