• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

High school football

BK19

Well lesueur/henderson lost against belle plaine 14 to 12 it really frustrates me when they always try for 2 pat instead of kicking for 1 I believe the 2 point should only be used IE: when you are down by 2 with a few seconds left in the game not when you are down 14 zip with 2 quarters left grrrr

Thanks Bill. This issue has always been something that bugs the carp out of me. When we're down on the BP 25, 3 minutes to go with a 4th and long, they could have gone up by 1 if they would've put Bruihler out to kick for 3. The kid may be huge, he may be a sophmore, but there comes a time when they have to swallow their pride and rely on a kicking game.

After we came wthin 2, I thought LSH was going to come back and win. Stupid penalties didn't help either.

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do they have a kicker that can hit the extra point every single time? Could he have made a ~42yd feild goal? Heck I played in a game where it was 4th and goal from the half yard line with 3 seconds left and the team was down by 2, they went for the TD and got stopped, ending their season. They had no kicking game.

Most highschool teams that don't kick extra points or feild goals isn't by choice, its that they can't do it consistantly. They figure if we go for 2 every time, we should make it half the time, anything else is a bonus. So often highschool games come down to PAT's and there is no "perfect" strategy.

I did see a kicker hit a 48yd feild goal on friday night and also miss a 47 and a 51 wide. I was impressed by that, but it is deffinatly not the norm in highschool ball.

Mankato Loyola had a kicker that hit one from 54 yards a couple years ago.

Our B-Squad kicker has the better leg, but there's more to the kicking game than just kicking the ball. You need a good center to snap the ball and someone to hold it for the kicker. Without the right chemistry, it will never work. But without having any emphasis on a kicking game during practice, I personally feel that coaches are giving the players the short end of the stick.

A few years ago, LSH had a good kicker. Had good distance on kick-offs and just plain made it difficult for any return. Even made the tackle on 2 of his own kick-offs at NYA. He was the first one down the field. The LSH coach allowed him to make a few attempts for PATs early in the season, but for one reason or another, he (coach)gave up on it.

This kicker went on to play ball at a Jr college. In the state semi-final game, he kicked the game winning PAT with 16 seconds left in the game after the team came from behind to score 3 touchdowns and tie the game in 6 minutes. The articles in the local papers referred to it as the "Miracle in the Mud". The kicker was ranked 17th in the nation in the NJCAA after that season. This may be small peanuts to some, but for this kicker to actually be given the chance and make something of it was a sign of what happens in so many schools. Unused talent that pounds the pine throughout highschool!!!

I agree with what your saying, but you also answered your own complaints. Maybe they don't have a long snapper or kick holder who could do the job right every time.

Most people who are good enough to play in highschool play, maybe this guy just developed into a better kicker later or was exposed to better coaching at the college level. Obviously he got noticed by someone if he went on to play some where.

Well our varsity kicker has been kicking 45 yard field goals all summer long and in practice but can't seem to do it in the games so that tells me they need to work with the kicker and snapper more it can be done¡ I think lsh needs to use this as a practice year as the next 2 years should be great ones

Do they have a kicker that can hit the extra point every single time? Could he have made a ~42yd feild goal? Heck I played in a game where it was 4th and goal from the half yard line with 3 seconds left and the team was down by 2, they went for the TD and got stopped, ending their season. They had no kicking game.

Most highschool teams that don't kick extra points or feild goals isn't by choice, its that they can't do it consistantly. They figure if we go for 2 every time, we should make it half the time, anything else is a bonus. So often highschool games come down to PAT's and there is no "perfect" strategy.

I did see a kicker hit a 48yd feild goal on friday night and also miss a 47 and a 51 wide. I was impressed by that, but it is deffinatly not the norm in highschool ball.

I agree with what your saying, but you also answered your own complaints. Maybe they don't have a long snapper or kick holder who could do the job right every time.

Most people who are good enough to play in highschool play, maybe this guy just developed into a better kicker later or was exposed to better coaching at the college level. Obviously he got noticed by someone if he went on to play some where.

The long snapper isn't the issue, nor is the lack of a kicker. Where they lack is putting the guys together on the practice field so they get their cadence down. As BK said, we have the guys who can put the ball through from 45. They just need the committment from the coaches to establish a kicking game.

As far as the kicker I mentioned in my last post, he didn't develop into a better kicker. He was an unused talent who always had the ability. He finally was given the opportunity to play to his ability.

I think LSH needs to use this as a practice year as the next 2 years should be great ones

I agree 100%. Belle Plaine showed us we still need to work on our pass coverage. We'll see how the B-Squad does tomorrow against BP. Should be a good game.

Well lesueur/henderson lost against belle plaine 14 to 12 it really frustrates me when they always try for 2 pat instead of kicking for 1 I believe the 2 point should only be used IE: when you are down by 2 with a few seconds left in the game not when you are down 14 zip with 2 quarters left grrrr

Guess what they were working on today when I drove through the parking lot. I almost shed a tear cry but only because I was laughing so hard.

Wonder if the coach didn't see your other post in the local forum wink Either way, glad to see they're putting some effort into the kicking now.

Well I am sure Mr. Rick bruns saw it and I know he goes on here also not to mention the announcer heard me talking about it @ applefest this weekend yeah believe or not sometime my mouth is a little loud LOL

I would go for 2 every time. The percentages of getting things right on a high school team with an extra point are far lower than a 3 yard play. Lets do the math, if your team scores 4 td's plus all 4 ex points = 28. 4 td's with 2 conversions of three yards also = 28. What do you think has a higher percentage of success. Without a doubt, the latter.

I would go for 2 every time. The percentages of getting things right on a high school team with an extra point are far lower than a 3 yard play. Lets do the math, if your team scores 4 td's plus all 4 ex points = 28. 4 td's with 2 conversions of three yards also = 28. What do you think has a higher percentage of success. Without a doubt, the latter.

I'll do the math for last Friday night in BP. LSH was 0% in PAT attempts. Had the odds really been in their favor kicking field goals, they could have atleast tied the game and taken it to overtime. At that point I am very confident in our defense that we could have held BP to a goose egg in o.t.

What are their odds for kicking field goals when they don't practice it? 0% Trust in the team and allowing them to practice an essential part of the game will greatly increase the odds. See my earlier post about a past kicker from LSH.

Our kicking game is there. After watching Bruihler kick for a touchback in yesterdays B-Squad game was proof enough for me to know the potential is there. How many other kickers have you seen that tip the scales at 250-275, take a 5 yard drop, 3 step approach and send one to the endzone? Not bad for a Sophmore. wink

I agree with BK19 about this year being a good practice year for the team. Next year will be the team to watch. The numbers and the talent will be there to play kids on one side of the ball. If the coaching staff can't take next years team to state, there's a problem.

One credit I will give to the coaching staff for Friday nights game is they seemed to mix up the run and the receivers better than they have in the past. They using more than 1-2 players. At this level, forget about getting one players the stats. Focus more on the team. There's a wealth of talent in the LSH program. I sure hope they use it.

The main problem that LSH, Belle Plaine and the other teams in our confrence will have will be Holy Family. No matter how good these teams are it will always be a struggle to win the conference as long as Holy Family is in the mix.

I was at the BP/LSH game on friday too. Being I am from BP, my take on the game may be a little different from you LSH guys. I felt that BP could have dominated that game if they would have got out of that spread offense after they had the 14-0 lead and tried to establish a running game. Both teams had too many turnovers. BP had at least 6 tries from the 1 yard line in that game and I think that all 6 times they lined up in the exact same 4 reciever formation. There is no reason when you have a 1st and goal on the 1 yard line to attempt 3 pass plays. When BP needed to run out the clock at the end of the game they finally pulled out a little bit tighter formation(still had 2 wideouts)basically told LSH that they were going to run the ball and the clock out and was successfull in taking 2 or 3 minutes off the clock and gaining 1 or 2 first downs.

I think BP and LSH both have very good football teams but like I said before, it may be all for nothing if HF is as good as they appear.

Nice to see MN river conf. talk. Montgomery is having a real tough year. 3 games, 0 points. Lost 60-0 against HF.

What do you guys think about private schools? I don't like the fact that they have their draw from the entire metro area, and they can provide "tuition assistance" for athletes. Doesn't seem like a level playing field.

The only thing I can add is that we don't have the running backs we used to have and we have a young qb that can't always get it in for 2 next year or even towards the end of the year we might be able to do it with more experience

I hope the Mont-Lonsdale team survives. It's tough to see such a drop in numbers and expect the program to survive.

Hang in there Mont-Lonsdale.

As far as HF, I heard yesterday they want out of the MN River Conf. and are hoping to play more metro teams like Chaska and Chanhassen.

The only thing I can add is that we don't have the running backs we used to have and we have a young qb that can't always get it in for 2 next year or even towards the end of the year we might be able to do it with more experience

Don't worry BK19. LSH will win thier share of games this year. They looked to me to have a pretty tough defense and a balanced office. Coaching is always good as well.

I just hope someone can beat HF this year. I'll be chearing for BP to do it but if the LSH kids want to be the ones to beat them, I'll root for them too!

Montgomery/Lonsedale has put together some good teams over the years. I hope they survive as well and I hope that HF gets their wish and exits the MRconference.

I hope M/L gets better but not this week. BP plays them for their homecoming game! smirk