• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

whats the best trail cam to buy

If you want to go cheap, I just bought a Moultrie 4.0. It is a 4 mega pixel, flash camera with video. I believe it came with a 1 or 2 mb card. Bass Pro has them on sale for $69.00 (usually $99). After reading all the stories about bears eating cameras, I did not want to spend a lot on the first one to see it become food. Takes nice photos so far.

Get tme Moultrie I 40 digital. You'll find it for 190.00 +/-.

Infrared flash, great pics day and night, it will take video, has info strip for time, date, temp moon phase. The battery life for the 6 D cells is unbelievable.

Another vote for Moultrie, you can get the I-40 (no flash) camera for $190, or you can get two D-40's for under $200. I would go with the D-40's!(I've got 2) But that's just my opinion, I'm only on my second season with them, I also have a wildview 4.0 which is pretty lame in comparison.

I just picked up two 1 gig cards for $10 a piece and they hold plenty of pics even on high resolution! I don't bother with the video.

I 2nd, 3rd, 4th the vote for the I4.0. Great pictures and unbelievable on batteries. I've stated before on here that I put in new battery's last October 2008 and just last week replaced them...almost a whole year not to bad. You can pick up the unit at your local "family Outfitters" retail store in Walker, MN for around $179 with a card and they might even ship for free.

If your budget doesn't allow this unit then the D40-flash version would be my second choice. Good luck and let us know what you picked?

mr

I have heard nothing but great things about the Moultrie. Although I do not own one, it will be one of my next buys. I own three Cuddebacks (have had two replaced in the last year) the pic's they take (when working) are one of the best. But, I would not recommend nor will I ever buy another Cuddeback.

some of my buds got 3 moutrie cameras from cabelas bargain cave last year. this year all 3 had issues with the lcd displays and 1 ir issue. no returns at the bargain cave! they mailed them to moultrie, along with 40 bucks for each camera. returned were 2 fixed cameras, and 1 new one

Ive got 8 cameras, use them a lot. I have Cudde's and different Moultries. I think for the money the Moultrie I40 is certainly a good bet. Nice pics, good batt life, decent trigger... all in all a good camera. Every camera has its issues, if you are looking for picture quality, the Cuddebacks are tough to beat though! Good luck, theyre fun!

I just bought my second Moultrie IR 4.0. I just prefer the IR since I figure there is nothing for the deer to see and be scared of (assuming they can't see in the IR spectrum of course). I had one flash picture of a large buck a couple years ago and never got another shot of him, but that could have been a coincidence.

IMO, a 2-3 Megapixel camera would be plenty based on the range limit of the sensors. Also if you have computer which can read a memory card (and memory card readers are not expensive) then skip the LCD displays. Get an extra memory card later when you have the money and just swap them out when you go to check them.

What do you guys think about the flash, does it scare bucks? I know i've heard guys say they have had bucks they had pics of at night with a flash and never got another picture. The pictures of big bucks i've gotten during daylight hours? I havent gotten pictures of any of them strolling through again either. I just hung a set last weekend in which i believe will be a phenomenal stand during the rut and i'd love to put a camera in that funnel later in October, but i don't know if i should.

I think most of those bucks are deer that are just strolling through the neighborhood. I'm guessing the deer you only get one picture of, are not locals. Unless you've seen the deer while out cruisin around, then maybe they just don't use the path in front of the camera regularly. Im a believer that deer aren't spooked by flash. If anything, its the noise a camera makes. take it into a closet, and see if it makes noise. thats what gets the deers attention! My camera takes excellent pictures, but I can hear the shutter. so can the deer. the first picture is good, then the repeat picture, 15 seconds later, has the deer looking at the camera about 50% of the time. but when triggered again, the deer are still there.

I agree with almost everybody. Moultree is tough to beat. I use the moultree 4.0 RIght now its 89.95 at mills fleet farm. check out my pics on trail cam pics icon.

Cuddebacks take nice pics, however they are expensive and they break down all the time. not worth it in my mind.

cj

I have 2 I40's and they have been pretty good. I do have a couple complaints and one is the digital view screens are out or going out. The other is, there is a click when the shutter opens and deer can hear it. The largest buck this year came to the cam one time and did not come back yet. It tkaes 3 at a time and the deer was taking a step back each pick. The battery life is crazy good and they take decent picks.