• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

New license fees

Well New York State has finally pushed me over the edge!!!

Just went to the DEC web sight to check and see when sporting licenses went on sale and found the new prices mad. Ive heard about the increases but didnt realize they would force me farther into the poor house. Has everyone seen the increase?

Are they trying to make the money back that they just sent to all the welfare people for school supplies? Maybe PETA is in on the increase, like the anti smokers, figureing if the raise the prices out of our reach then we will stop hunting? confused Are we being penalized for our state senate voting themselves a pay raise, when they cant even agree to disagree and get some work done? They even raised the age of a senior licenses and are going to force people like my father that got a senior liscence last year to go back to a regular license.

I just dont understand..??? Looks like they are forcing legitimate people like me and my wife and many many others to join the ranks of the houndreds or possible thousands of outlaw hunters and fishermen that dont bother buying the licenses and their hunting under the cover of darkness..

Sorry bout going off but I have had enough of this states [PoorWordUsage]. Looks like when I go to Colorado in Nov for my brothers wedding, I will be spending my time looking for a job and place to live instead of seeing the sites..

Cali the die hard hunter and fisherman will keep buying the licences.The problem is that our good ole NYS DOES NOT KNOW HOW TO MANAGE THE $$$$$$$$$$$$$$ WE PAY FOR TAXES......If they did our roads and everything else would be in good shape.Does anybody know what its going to do for our fisheries and deer management I know and that is N O T H I N G!!!!! it didn't work before and its not going to work now I don't care what anyone says.This is a good example of how much the government does for our country and the people that are in it.This is just my opinion crazymadmadcrazy...

Any type of raise stinks but... for the price and the amount of use I get out of it, I dont mind paying for a NY, PA, and Canadian license. Heck when down in Raleigh a few years ago with my buddies, a round of drinks cost almost what a sportsmans licsnse in NY cost which allows me to fish, hunt, trap, small game hunt, harvest 4 turkeys, and atleast 3 deer, plus a bear...

I was surprised by the big hike, looks like 88 bucks now, up 20$ for that license...

My big gripe is that our fee money goes into the "general fund" - aka NY City...

32.25 for hunt, 23.50 for fish, 55 for combo non of these include any stamps that you need for birds, trout, or big game tags. My elk tag this year cost me 121 plus cost of license. One think here all the money goes to the game and fish dept, however the legislature swept the funds last year. We still do not have a budget, hopefully the AZ government will figure it all out.

I am a little upset about the hike myself...let's see: Super Trapper Sportsman $88, DMP $10, Turkey $10 and $15 for a Duck Stamp...that totals $123 to do all my outdoor activities. In relativity, that is fair, but where is that money going? I know where the Federal Duck Stamp goes, does my money really go to the DEC?

Yea the duck stamp money goes into wet lands projects but only a few in our state unfortunately. The NYC folks should be sending us all cards for christmas . Maybe the public assistance folks will get a bonus for christmas this year too!!crazy.

Makes me wonder where the money went for the tickets that several of us had to pay for misc charges this yr on the ice?? DEC was busy on the lake all winter.. Im sure they made a bunch..

Im sure Ill pay the $150 for me and momma to hunt this yr. Probly go right back where it came from.. Ill still B I T C H about it tho!!

I am a little upset about the hike myself...let's see: Super Trapper Sportsman $88, DMP $10, Turkey $10 and $15 for a Duck Stamp...that totals $123 to do all my outdoor activities. In relativity, that is fair, but where is that money going? I know where the Federal Duck Stamp goes, does my money really go to the DEC?

Hey AW, give me a shout when you can...Long time no talk...

Don't even get me started, I can see small increases but to double the cost in one year is a little upsetting and hard on the pocket book. All I'm saying is you might not see a tag on my back this year but I will be in a tree, did someone forget to tell NY that they are taking all our money in taxes and we have none left for anything else. I make ok money and I have to plan my weeks out so I know how much gas I'm going to use because I can't afford that anymore. Something needs to happen soon or I'm just going to sit in the house and not do a darn thing anymore except work and watch TV, my only other option is to become an outlaw. NY SUCKS, everyone knows NOT HOW to run it..........

so my buddies and i have been B!tchin about this for the past month and have came to the point where we know theres not much your gonna do about the increase. Its goin to happen and we are goin to pay it. What we can do is start writing our local executives to push for better regulations. NY has the potential to be a big buck state, and im sure we wouldnt mind paying 100 bucks if we had shots at mature deer. The problem is deer get wacked around here as spikes, 3, 4, 6 even small 8's. people want their meat, and i cant blame anyone for that. Many other states have proven relaible programs to limit small buck takes through the taking of does to fufill the meat hunters requirment. In Illinois there is a total of 8 "gun" days spit between two seasons a 3 day and a 5 day and those are muzzle and shot gun only. The rest is all bow. Residents can take a doe a day with no tag required just have to call them in. Non residents can take a doe a day as well just have to go to a tag issuing agent and get a new one for 8-10 dollars...

Im not saying everyone should go bow. what im saying is that with a little modifications to our laws we could all realize a bigger buck state. the big problem is that the moeny we are being charged doesnt help the hunters who pay alot into the economy every year. we pay, we get no improvments! thats what i believe is frustrating most i talk to. Heres the deal we can all B!tch about it, pay it, and next year it will become normal to us once again....OR everyone that has an issue can start writing to their state and local officals and represent the sportsmans voice for once. B!tching get your no where unless you do something about it. We all know the campains the anti-hunters are taking part in. Writing a bunch of letters is a start.

I'll pay $100 if thats what it takes, but i personally want better conditions, more state land, better regulations. Bottom line if im paying i want something done and my money not going to fund anything other than improved habitat and hunting!

Congressman Michael Acuri : http://arcuri.house.gov/

Senator Charles E Schumer: http://schumer.senate.gov/

Senator Kristen Gillibrand: http://gillibrand.senate.gov/

All of these people you can email right from their sites. write a letter and copy and paste it to all 3. next day change the letter a bit, send it to all 3 again. tell all you buddies to write with their concerns. Gotta try something right, or we could all B!tch to each other for a few months, thats fun to.

Good stuff Kyle! My problem is that the state should not tell someone what kind of buck they can take. If Joe Yahoo who can only hunt 3 saturdays a season wants to tag a forkhorn - there should be nothing wrong with that. And if its with a bow, even better.

Things are changing with what people want out of a hunt - ie, bigger bucks. More doe tags may certainly help that.

But I still dont like antler restrictions at all. AW is gonna slam me for that but i'll sleep fine tonight cool

Any deer with a bow is an accomplishment and something to be proud of. And I dont want the state telling hunters any more than they do...

As for the license increase, it stinks but is inevitable...

This year im gonna buck up for a lifetime license. God willing i'll live 10 more years, it will be paid off and just free gravy after that... Lifetimes go up alot after this year, you guys should all look into it...

I didnt mention AR's, i said if we want to improve quality dont take spikes to 6pts, if you do than great, but i dont want to hear those same people B!tch about buck quality

Personlly I would love to see AR in NYS. It would be like Christmas to me, but they wont, and to each their own, people have 3 days to hunt and feel acomplished with takin a 3pt...so be it. I manage my own AR program, and i feel good about letting them go.

What im talkin about is getting somehting for my licence fees. I dont want to pay for other peoples hobbies at state parks. My hunting license pays for these parks and hikers, bikers, skiiers use them with out contributing to the system. Hunters pay for a lot, and dont see much from it. And yeah it would be a "bonus" if the buck maturity improved as well but not the overall point of my first post.

And yeah it would be a "bonus" if the buck maturity improved as well but not the overall point of my first post.

I got your point right here, buddy smile When your talking inproving deer quality and not taking spikes, 2,3,4,5,6's and small 8's - then your talking Antler restrictions.

I love letting em walk and wispering in my head that you should count your lucky stars. But im just as proud of small does and scrub bucks as nicer bucks iv'e taken. I remember being with Tank when he killed the biggest buck of his life. He was super excited but he said to me. "It was that time of the season where I probably would have taken a spike, and been just as proud".

Thats why I dont want the state getting into Antler restrictions. To each his own to decide. We passed alot of deer last season and Tank took a really nice buck. I waited till the last week and took a scrub rack with sweet top of the heart perfect shot.

Not argueing, im just saying - in the words of Walter Sobchak, "that rug really tied the room together"

Back to the license issue, you look into the cost? Looks like $780 which includes, fishing, hunting big and small game, trapping, and archery...

I want to write a big response but all I'm going to say is been there and done everything post above. Called, wrote letters and emailed them all with the standard response. I've been to several open discussions with the DEC and QDM guys in Cortland County. NY has the potential to put some great bucks in the books and surpass a few of the mid-western states but it will never happen because of old school rules that regulate a different generation. I'm open for a discussion but can't do it in a form matter.

As far as sucking it up with the license hike is [PoorWordUsage]. I don't mean to offend anyone but it's a bunch of [PoorWordUsage] and everyone knows it. Here's an example for you, Town of Cicero hasn't done any assessments on homes in years that are in the Town of Cicero and without notice double and in some cases tripled the assessment value of the homes without consulting anyone. (sounds like our license hike) Well a few of the home owners took them to court and it was turned around with the judge saying if you want to increase them a little yearly to get to the correct assessment that is fine but it is wrong and injustice to just double the assessment values which brings up the taxes. I'm all for a small increase within reason on a yearly or semi yearly basis but what they did was force a lot of hard working people to make a decision to either hunt or not hunt and I can tell you right now that I know of at least a dozen guys who just can't justify paying that amount for a license this year with economy. One of my good friends said it to me like this, "I have to pay bills and put food and cloths on my kids backs before I buy a license this year" and I didn't think of it at the moment but when I got home it sank in that not only did NY lose his hunting/fishing money but they lost his NY state sales tax on all the items that we outdoors men have to buy every year.I'm not mad about the increase it's self I'm more upset in the matter it was done and I've been looking into how it was done because there was no public notice or open public discussions about it.

They took the pheasant program away and now the trout hatchery, what's next the walleye hatchery or Montezuma?

I'll suck it up and buy one but I was serious when I said I might not buy a license to hunt and take my chance. The old lady put the brakes on that one and said it wasn't wise for I'm going for a job that wouldn't like that very much. (More on that later)

So much for no long response..... LOL

Supposedly the "Sportsman Council" was approached about the increase and they agreed it was due. I have no idea who is on that Council, but it sure would be interesting to hear their rationale of the increase since there seems to be a very loud voice of discontent. And as we all know, we got nothing in return . . .unless we are a staffer for a State elected official. There is this little voice in the back of my head wondering if this is not another means to eliminate hunting and gun ownership . . . Hey how about that new law about wearing life preservers from Nov - Mar??!! I can hear the buzzing now . . .

madmadmadThe life jacket thing is stupid no matter what size boat you are in everyone should have to wear one not just the people that have a boat 21ft and under.The reason why is because of all the drownings that have been happening they are singleing people out for others that make careless mistakes and that P I S S E S M E O F F they can go F_ _ k themselves madmadmad.Must be the person or persons that thought of that one don't own a boat it doesn't matter what size boat you have you can still drown whistle