• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Favorite Throwback Lure?

I'm just curious about what everyones favorite or most effective throwback lure is.

In the last 3 days I've had, and seen more than 10 follows, but they've all been lookers and not takers.

I had 4 fish come in on a topraider tonight-each of them brought a nice wake behind the bait, all but one of them lost track of the bait when i went into my figure 8.

What would you guys suggest I use as a throwback bait for these fish? I threw a WTD topwater, but regret not throwing a sub surface jerkbait of any kind. I'm still looking to boat my first fish and these last couple of days have been fun, but it would be good to get one in the boat.

I normaly just keep throwing what they followed. A few times it has worked, partners throwing something different so we have 2 different type baits going. Rip a dawg by them, nothing like a dawg strike, just make sure you have a good grip on the rod.

Yeah, I kept throwing that bait after walking the dog a couple of casts, and eventually moved off the spot. Actually more or less pushed off the spot by the arrival of some shore fishermen, but that's a different story. I might just rig up my other rod with a plastic and see if that can produce some interest. It got frusterating after the 4th wake behind that bait and no strike.

My buddy had a mid 40's come in hot on his dawg late last year, after a couple big circles it sank out of site. I made a short cast with an orange and black suick and it darted from under the boat and absolutely T-boned it 15ft out. Very cool to see, although I didn't get a good hook in it. I've got a suick on my throwback now..

Bronze,

1) I subsurface topwater lures on the 8.

2) Depends- I use the same lure if they were really hot on it, but I throw something very different if they weren't very hot. I let the fish tell me how interested they were in what I had on and I respond accordingly. Also, I usually have three different rods rigged up, so it's easy to switch quickly.

i throw the same lure for a couple casts (after figure 8-ing for a bit) then switch to something completely different action/color

usually the boat partner and i will be throwing drastically different stuff so they cast too, that will help out

i go under with prop/buzzer type baits, but WTD suck for 8ing imo

WTD suck for 8ing imo

I can't disagree with you but JRedig proved me worng last week showing me how he does it - hard to describe without video but would appear to be effective if a fish were on it - but I'm not a fish!

I'm not going to claim a lot of success, but when i get a hot follow that won't go, unless the fish leaves on a figure 8 (then i throw back the same lure) otherwise I'll switch it up right away. If you were throwing a prop, i'd throw a different prop or hawg wobbler/creeper just one cast and if didn't go but followed will back off for about 10-15 then come back subsurface, probably jerkbait or plastic.

However that being said I am struggling with a throw back this year...tried the killer eels and liked them briefly, tried the shallow dawg but never was successful, have tried the suick but maybe will some more now. Currently I'm experimenting with 3 new baits, a big sluggo, the witch thingy and a secret bait I won't reveal unless it fails this year wink can't wait to see

Good luck,

Zelmsdawg

thanks for all the advice, and I did try bulging a double 10 fast after one of the follows, nothing seemed to produce any interest right after the initial follow, which isn't surprising to me, I was just looking for some advice on maybe improving my chances on converting one of these following fish.

One of the fish was so hot on the bait, or so big, that the water it pushed up behind my bait was about a foot high. It was ridiculous. She wouldn't go though. I saw a video on youtube of a guy staying on the surface with his figure 8 and getting the fish to bite so I might have to try that next time.

There is more to blades than just double __'s....especially for bulging/triggering...

FWIW, a pretty darn good guide's take is, "why would you throw something different back than what a fish just came chasing in after?" I'm not saying I always agree with it, but he does have a point. He's always saying something about don't leave fish to find fish too...

I didn't purposely leave fish to find any fish, there were multiple fish on this spot, but I was pestered by a guy and two girls that came down to do a little shorefishing, I figured I wouldn't make a scene and moved a ways off.

Heading back out there today to try and put some of these tips to good use.

If I were you and you had a big fish follow your lure in but not take it I would just take a break for a good half hour. Think about how to attack it and let whoever else is in your boat go after the fish.... wink

My take on conversion baits is to go to the extreme... if you were burning a small bucktail go big and slow... or if you were big and slow go small and fast.... For me its usually a confidence lure of some sort... for me its a jerk or twitch crank... play with it and see what happens... I like to come back to fish... but that always depends on fishing pressure and how many boats are in the area Im in....

Good Luck

Quote:
favorite or most effective throwback lure is.

if they follow me?... a tube or similar lure. smallish in size. storm -plastic shads.

if i sneak in on somebody who left a follow. spinnerbait... burned to bulge.