• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

The "New" E-CAT

hanson

I just recently bought one of the new Team Catfish rods (1 ton)...i like it a lot but have yet to fight anything of big size on it...put a new 6500C3 on there instead of the 7000i just because that reel is about twice the weight and size. i shore fish so lugging that brute around with everything else is a bit much. maybe when i get my boat next season but honestly i have had no trouble with the 6500 and keeping big baits down in heavy current or any other issues. i do still want an E-cat so maybe i'll pair that up with the 7000!

I still have and use several Re-Flex rods given to me by "Big Jim Moyer" that were made in the first run of the Re-Flex test series, a year or so before they even hit the market...and they still work fine today. Most of them have received new tips as I often upgraded the tips to hardened chrome or Titanium to accommodate my Power Pro.

Same deal with the first generation Berkley Glow Stick, all still in use, some I wrecked the lights on...but I don't care too much about the lights most of the time anyhow... because the blank is the real selling point for me.

When it comes to E-Glass rods, they are tough working sticks, and take a licking year after year. So fitting the action to the application is the deal and rods with the best components integrated on them quickly float to the top of the rod locker.

For the price, the Berkley Glow Sticks are great tools. For upgraded performance the "E-Cat's" and the "The Boss" rods are in a league of there own.

I also have a few customs made from E-Glass blanks, one is a bit unusual in the kitty world but is a favorite stick of mine built to my spec's, "Rods by Engel" (Scoots Dad) put that one together for me and it's a real sweet serious kitty stick. I call it my "Cork'n Sucks Special". wink

So if your not happy with the rods on the shelf, get a E-Glass blank you like, pick your components, have a pro put it together to your spec's..and be happy.

Now I'm thinking a Boss #2 with a 6500 would be better for this guy. I guess if he doesn't like it..I'll just keep it.

Talking about where to put your hook. The best place is back in your cat bag unless you don't mind that big chunk of lead bouncing around on your rod. I'll (temporarily) put the hook around the base of the reel but I hate transporting the rod with all the terminal tackle still attached.

Those #2's are pretty wimpy Kevin, try before you buy if you can.

I've been using sinker slides made by Sea Striker (#6). They have a large snap and I can change weights on the go (no rolls won't work) and then I take them off at the end of the night and or while transporting so they won't be banging around.

I think they work pretty good.

Those #2's are pretty wimpy Kevin, try before you buy if you can.

I've been using sinker slides made by Sea Striker (#6). They have a large snap and I can change weights on the go (no rolls won't work) and then I take them off at the end of the night and or while transporting so they won't be banging around.

I think they work pretty good.

Boy do I love sinker slides ... perfect for those long treks to your favorite shore spot without the annoyance of bouncing weights, and having the ability to swap weights on the fly is equally nice!

I just bought a #3 E-Cat. Haven't used it yet but it looks like it may work. If it's not stiff enough i will use it for channels. But I Think I will still Stick to a Real Pole! :)- "G-Loomis Muskie Rods and, St.Croix muskie rods. Lifetime replacements and when you set the hook with those rods your in control, not the Fish. I know it is all in prefferance but I personally cant use a rod the bends just with my sinker and bait on! And just to throw is out there DARK30 The penns are the only way!! We have a selection of 310's through the 330's and we take a lot of newby's and they are very user freindly. cool

Now I'm thinking a Boss #2 with a 6500 would be better for this guy. I guess if he doesn't like it..I'll just keep it.

Talking about where to put your hook. The best place is back in your cat bag unless you don't mind that big chunk of lead bouncing around on your rod. I'll (temporarily) put the hook around the base of the reel but I hate transporting the rod with all the terminal tackle still attached.

A very good point Dark, the weight will often chip the finish on rods.

For what it's worth, you guys might want to take a look at The Rod Shop custom cat rods. A little more spendy, but the finest components and best performing "big" cat rods I've ever used. Rodbuilder Tom Knox teamed with Phil King and John Jamison to create both a graphite series (Driftmaster) and an E-Glass series. He can also build you just about any cat rod you want, which is, I guess, the beauty of a custom, right?

-Toad

Nothing like a good old rod discussion/debate to bring “Toad” out of the woodwork. Nice to see you are still around.

I’ve heard good things about that Rod Shop as well.

I just bought a #3 E-Cat. Haven't used it yet but it looks like it may work. If it's not stiff enough i will use it for channels. But I Think I will still Stick to a Real Pole! :)- "G-Loomis Muskie Rods and, St.Croix muskie rods. Lifetime replacements and when you set the hook with those rods your in control, not the Fish. I know it is all in prefferance but I personally cant use a rod the bends just with my sinker and bait on! And just to throw is out there DARK30 The penns are the only way!! We have a selection of 310's through the 330's and we take a lot of newby's and they are very user freindly. cool

I am pretty sure it is a #4 that you just bought. wink And I believe that it will be plenty stiff that is why I went with the #3. As for the Penn anchors lol great reels as long as you dont have to hold onto your rod.

For what it's worth, you guys might want to take a look at The Rod Shop custom cat rods. A little more spendy, but the finest components and best performing "big" cat rods I've ever used. Rodbuilder Tom Knox teamed with Phil King and John Jamison to create both a graphite series (Driftmaster) and an E-Glass series. He can also build you just about any cat rod you want, which is, I guess, the beauty of a custom, right?

-Toad

Toad you Da Man! I do not own one as of yet (Blue Cat series) but have come close a couple times. I think one other cat forum guy (Peder?) has one though. Tom (the father and the catfisherman) is a great guy to talk with and not just about their rods. I will say he is not much for the e-mail side, but if you call, leave a message, he will call you back. If he does not know something, let’s just say he will get you to a person that knows wink If they took Pay Pal I know I would be owning one right now grin It is a mail in a check and they send you one. I am terrible when I get the urge and instant "buy" on the mind. When it comes to mailing I always justify waiting. frown IMO they make great rods, and in the area of "custom" rods, they are not bad on their price at all.

Now the E-Cat #3 is a nice step forward to owning higher end cat rods. Thanks Hanson for the tip wink If you have the chance Hanson (even though I do not think he has been out this year grin) is a good person to talk to about equipment wink

Well golly G grin I missed a whole page. Dang Iphone! When I cick into a forum and back out or close the browser, all the little red tags are gone. If I do not look into the threads or note how many new posts are in it I miss out.

Good to hear hanson smile Nice flat!

Ok, A #4 is overkill and #2 is whimpy then. Maybe the "new" #3. I could also go with a Gapen or a Seeker...I'm not enjoying shopping for someone else spineyes.gif

I'm glad I have an "old" #3

Penn Rocks