• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Walleye fishing dillema

Ol_Bullhead

Last weekend we were group fishing (8 guys 4 boats) walleye fishing was slow, we have a one day tournament amongst ourselves, my question is if your boat lands on a honey hole and start nailing walleyes during the tourney do you

1. call the others and share or

2. keep it quiet and and surprise them later ???

just curious on other peoples opinions

If it is a tournament I would fish it without shareing the spot with anyone. After all isn't the purpose the tournament to prove who is the best fisherman.

If it is a friendly fishing trip I would pound the hole for an hour or so, then let my friends know if I know they are fishing in the same area. I have a personal policy that I don't use a cell phone to alert anyone.

Now they are all friends??!! Didn't this hypothetical start out as merely a group of 8 guys fishing in 4 boats? You guys make friends easy - makes sense considering how quick you'll give away a honey hole.. smile

I'm sticking with #2 unless they've shared their beer with me first. So, did you actually find this honey hole??

My friends and I have similar situation and our rule is as follows. If someone calls you then you have to tell the truth, number of fish, depth, location. If they do not call you, you are under no obligation to call them....After all if they are not calling they must be catching fish as well ;>)

If it were indeed friends I would call them otherwise they will do the same to you on another outing. If not fiends than don't worry about them unless they buzz over for a report and then share just enough to say you've caught a few but not everything.....

I chose 2 but when I got to the dock and seen empty or nearly empty livewells it was hard to gloat feeling like a ten pound turd, next time I call around to see how they are doing and share it too all if fishing is slow the victory would have been more sweeter beating them playing on a level field

lesson learned

as for the guy using one oar to get his 18' to shore you would always get tow free of charge (my motto: safety first before fishing even if it is caused by stupidity)

We do this every year on a trip in June. Leaving Thursday in fact. Anyway, part of the fun we have is razzing each other and using the competition to poke a little fun. What usually happens is that we won't hear about the good fishing until after the fact but that's okay because we all do it in good fun.