• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Whats this weather going to do?

riverrat56

So I've recently got back into catfishing after taking a year or two off and am pursueing it alot more seriously this time.

Is it going to be worth my time to fish the next few nights with the recent cold snap and rain? Even if it's cold by tomorrow night it will have been so for 3 days, will this provide some stable enough weather that the fish will still be active. The spot I'm looking at fishing is real shallow, 5-6', but there is a creek that was dry the last time I hit it and this rain should have just a touch of water flowing out, hopefully bringing some bait up there.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can do rain

I can do cold

mix the two and it's more than likely going to be a night off for me.

If I was in your neck of the woods Nick after this rain, I'd be at a certain spot you first seen us at the other night. That spot just screams big mama flatty, especially with the recent rain wink

For now, I plan on heading out somewhere tonight.....

I know....That spot is aweasome, but that water flow is consistant all year long and doesn't increase much with a rainfall, I'm looking at hitting some other places that this rain might bump up the flow somewhat at.

I think that the river is differnt than lakes when it comes to cold fronts and wheater changes. I have done well on the river during cold front conditions but have had to really work at finding active fish and I guess that is the key active fish.

I'm a firm beliver that if its raining the fish dont mind getting wet grin so why should I gringrin guess you just dont know unless you try. good luck river rat and maybe we'll see out there.

Quote:
Whats this weather going to do?

Help with the fact I did not get out this last weekend.

As far as the fish and bite I have no clue. I have noticed with the reports and some of my fish from years past that flats seem to peak with their bite during strong weather fronts. I do also feel they are as straight minded as a bull during certain times of the year. As long as the water temps do not drastically drop the flathead has one thing right now on its mind. To eat. Does this cold and dreary weather have an effect on where they eat? Maybe yes. If the cold weather has an effect on anything it might be the flats food source. If I want a burger I go to where they are serving them or the ones I like. If BK and Mcandcracks are closed down in Elk River I will go to Wendy's in Rogers wink When they change their feeding patterns this might give a persona that the bite is off but really they are feeding in other locations than they have.

Also switching your baits up. If I have a craving for Subway, you can lay Quarter Pounders and Whoppers on my desk at work, and I will not touch them. I go find my Subway.

I really have no clue.

Good luck this week guys.

This weather is gunna continue to keep me off the river. Seems like every day in the 10 day forecast that I have off is supposed to be rain like today and tomorrow. Thankfully I had a luck spurt the last couple weeks so I am pretty satisfied for now but the second I see pictures of some bigguns I'm gunna want to go out and find em.

we left early also only two runs and no active fish to find thursday when I was fishing the water temps wwas 70.4 and yesterday it was 62.3 and that makes it hard to find active fish

I to noted a drastic drop in water temp, from low 70's to 64.

I'll be at it again tonight baring some heavy rain, but will be fishing deeper areas and some snags and will be using smaller baits and trying some suckers, hoping the fish are just chilling out waiting for an easy meal.

Quote:
I to noted a drastic drop in water temp, from low 70's to 64

From what you guys are saying this is a pretty sizable drop. I had 68-69 during the night even the other weekend.

This might be just what we need. Maybe a call will be made "delay of spawn" and we can pick up a couple extra weeks of good bite time confused

I was talking with a good ole river rat about yesterday shack and he thought that also grin I tried droping bait right into the snags yesterday to force a bite but those kittys just wouldnt cooperate with me.