• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

What kind of rods?

As a new sponsor to this site, I'd like to have a better understanding of what kind of rods folks build. Who is your favorite supplier for blanks, etc. Do you build just for yourself or are you selling the finished rods to others?

We wish to contribute as much as possible to the craft of rod building, while at the same time increase our custom rod business of course.

Kris,

Probably not the exact kind of answer you are looking for as I have yet to build a rod myself - someday soon! But, I have had 3 musky rods built for me, all were St Croix blanks.

It will be interesting to see the responses you get - its a pretty diverse group of anglers here at FM.

Hi Kris,

I build for myself, family and friends. Not really doing it for $$, mostly to cover my costs and pay towards my next build grin I build mostly on St. Croix, but have built on Rain Shadow, Pacific Bay recently, Fenwick, Loomis and cabelas in the past.

Welcome to FM. I've been building rods for probably 20 years. Probably have built 30. Most ov them have been for gifts.

I'm a walleye "nut". I build mostly on G. Loomis IMX, and have built a few GLX's. (not for too much longer) as G. Loomis is going to discontinue selling rod balnks on 12/31/09.

I've built on St. Croix Legend Elites and like them. So I'll be building one for myself next Winter. Probably the 7'6" Med light. I'll extend the handle 10" .

I fish Mille Lacs, so the longer rods the better for those 7-10 ft snells.

I build my rods at a shop in the Metro Area.

Kris - I probably build 4-6 a year. Family and friends with usually just covering cost, a gift, or maybe a few bucks towards components for myself.

Mostly 6.5-7 ft general purpose spinning rods and flyrods, probably 50/50. Im working on finishing a flyrod for myself then need to start on a 7ft spinning rod for a cousin.

Alot of mine have been on cabelas blanks plus St'croix and rainshadows, a few others like orvis, loomis, and talon...

I started builing rods about 1 year ago. I have built approx 8 rods and have plans for another very soon for my son for Christmas. He only fishes a few times a year but I thoought I would build one he could be proud of.

I have only used Rainshadow and St Croix blanks. I have built 5 catfish rods and I'm more than happy with them.

I really enjoy building them and doing a few different things on each. I'm going to take another class this winter for spiral wrapping thread.

This rod building is a sickness.

Like most others here, I build 5-6 a year for school fundraisers, friends, and myself. All I ask of others is to cover the cost of materials. rod-building is a great escape from the real world.

I like dealing with Mudhole and also with Gary Wick for materials and blanks.

Mike Wallace

I've built 2 rods for myself. Used to buy broken tips anywhere I could find some for cheap. Would make those into ice rods using eyes that were on them and wine corks for the handle.

Wife signed me up for a rod building class and built a musky rod this spring. Was a blast and learned alot, so had to build another and ended up making a walleye rod.

After watching this forum and seeing some of the others work, tried my hand at a butt wrap, turned out decent, couple lil quirks but looks nice. So now wife wants me to make a couple more her brother and dad as presents.

Just bought my stuff from the person who put on the class.

Welcome to the board Kris. I've heard good comments about your builds.

I've been building for a couple years now. I started by taking the class from Midwest Rod & Reel. Great guys and good teachers. I get all my supplies through them. I've got a wood lathe so I began by modifying my existing rods by stripping of the old cork handles and turning some wood handles instead. Addiction soon followed...

I've built a few crappie rods for my folks, a few walleye rods, and for myself a Fighting Sioux topwater bass rod. That was my favorite so far. It uses a simple spiral with micro guides and I must say it casts like a rocket.

Word of mouth got me my current build for a custom walleye rod. I create my own decals so my builds feature a theme determined by the future owner of the rod. I've done NASCAR, Indy 500, Fighting Sioux and even an Elvis rod. I've got a few of them posted on my gallery at another rod building forum.

Thanks,

Chad Huderle

"If the woman don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." ~~ Red Green ~~

I have built fly rods and the last couple of years I have built a few Flathead rods. I would love to just build rod after rod but its an expensive hobby. smile I am self taught so my rods are simple but would like to learn some decorative weaving eventually.

Hi Kris, we've met a few times through the years at some of the shows. I've always admired you rods...way out of my class.

I build 20-30 rods per year. About 1/3 are for me, and the rest are for sale. 90% are bass rods. The rest are mainly walleye rods with the occasional fly rod or musky stick built in.

I build probably 30% Loomis, 50% St. Croix, 10% Batson, and then mix in some Rogue, Lamiglas, and now, this year, Phenix. I really like the Phenix blanks. I think I've found a replacement for my Loomis blanks that won't be available after this year.

Thanks for being a sponsor here.

I pretty much build on Rainshadow blanks. IMO by far the best bang for your buck. Stop in at Midwest rod and reel and talk to AL. Let him know what you are looking for and he'll do a great job showing you different options.

I have some St. Croix, Batson, Rainshadow and Loomis rods that were all custom made for me by different folks. Many from the the awesome guys at Midwest Rod and Reel. Those boys know their stuff!

I seem to keep going to the Batsons or Croixs for jigging and the Rainshadow for rigging. The Loomis's I have I really like but I dont put them in the boat with others in it with me. Way too pricey for me to have someone accidently break on me. They do seem on the stiffer side than other blanks in the same models.

I guess what Im trying to say is there are many very good blanks out there these days. Its just not Loomis and Croix that are good any more.

Heck there are so many really good rack rods these days that I dont know If Ill ever buy another custom rod.