• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

scratches on gps screen

kevfish1

Question

10 answers to this question

Try some toothpaste and an old white sock. Put a little on the sock and rub it both ways. I did it while watching TV one evening and after an hour or so, and numerous applications of toothpaste depending on the depth of the scratches, they will come out and it will look like new.

Then one can purchase a clear film type cover to put over your screen so it doesn't get any more scratches.

Mcguires makes something called plastic cleaner that works fantastic. I buffed out my JD Gator plastic windows and fenders and it made them look awesome. It gives the plastic some slipperiness that sheds water also.

Novus makes several plastic polishes also. I remember them being numbered depending on grit 1,2,3...etc.

Check out your automotive parts store. They work a with 1 or 2 applications pretty fast.

Ferny.

3M makes a plastic polish. It is available at auto parts stores. I've used it with good success to get the scratches out of my plastic sport windshields on my last boat. When cleaning a plastic screen only use a cloth made from micro-fiber. Paper towels are made from abrasive wood fiber. Most towels and cloth rags have plastic in the weave which will scratch the screens. Windex and other ammonia based cleaning surfaces are abrasive to plastic surfaces. Use plain water and the micro-fiber cloth. Micro-fiber cloths are available at auto parts and office supply stores. Storage bags made from micro-fiber cloth is are also available.

Good post by Down Deep. I use a micro fiber cloth and water with 10%-20% white vinegar in it to clean my screens (the vinegar gets rid of streaks and water spots WAY better than just water). When I've had scratches I've used Meguires plastic polish.

what kind of toothpaste are you using? paste or gel? AIM or Crest? just curious cause I tried doing this but didn't give it much of a try cause I figured I would do something wrong...LOL