• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Sunglasses for a big guy?

Huey

I'm having a hard time finding some polarized sunglasses that are big enough to fit. Any ideas?

Jerry- What do you use? We are about the same size. I am the big No Metro guy that was on the sturgeon trip.

Huey

Use the Costa Del mar Permits, or the Man-O-Wars. They are the 2 I use. I've tried the Oakley's Dano mentioned, and the polarization is [PoorWordUsage] compared to Costa. And they fit too snug on the bridge of the nose. If you call Dave Fornara at the Esox Angler office he can hook you up on a pair. We sell them and have a few pairs on hand. But you better call quick they tend to sell quickly.

Huey

I'm in the same boat as you...big guy w/ a big face and melon to match.

Got frustrated trying to find some good sunglasses that fit my face and head. Even those touted as being big were too small for me. So, here's what I did and would recommend for you. I went to EJ's Sunglasses in Edina. They are a sunglass Etailer, but will take walk-ins. A gal by the name of Mindy will help you. She'll let you try on just about every pair of large sunglasses from Oakley to Costas to Natives...you name it. They've got it. Besides that, they will match any price you find on the internet...and you can't beat that. I ultimately settled on the Costa Hammerheads in the 580 lense, which I got for $199 on a match price basis.

I'm in no way affiliate with EJ's. Just thought I'd share my excellent experience with them. They'll take care of you.

Brian

The Hammerheads are sweet, I had a grey lens with green frames. Unfortunately they were slightly snug on me at the temple, so I gave them to a buddy -

The Man-o-WAR are Costa's best model for big melons!

Here is the size:

Lens size: 62

Bridge: 20

Temple: 120

Online at Sunglass giant you can see whole bunch of models and their sizes. Bridge and temple are the big thing.

LOL! A planet???

I actually have a pretty small melon (hat size is 7 1/8"). I have a pair of Man O' Wars and they fit me great! Although they are suggested for a large head/face, they work well for a lot of people. Great glasses...

Hiya -

Well, in Jerry's case melon size is in proportion to the rest of him so it's ok - if you've never met him, Jerry's one tall, wide-shouldered dude. If he had a normal-sized head it'd look like a pea on top of a pumpkin smile

(for the record, Jerry and I are friends, so the teasing is in good fun... smile )

Right on Quack, I just remember hearing at a seminar on high school athletes and roids about how prolonged use can increase the size of the coconut. back to topic.....I like fairly light, just lenses and thin rims. I was battling the deer lake skies a few years back and it was 95 degrees and just a blistering heat, needless to say we didn't last long out there but the sweat was pouring out of my eyeballs from the old classic lindner polarized that are like wearing a mask, being all black glasses also didn't help. I'd just make sure you try them on and sample different kinds and you'll get the right fit.

I just wish my Brain was as big as it's case - And Rob you for got "wide bellied"!

Interestingly enough, when I was primarily a Salt guy, we were in Abaco, in the Bahamas - I had Maui Jim Volcanos in a Black lens - and a pair of Kaenon Rhinos in a grey lens. We would fish offshore all day in the wind and sun, by the end of the day, the offshore boat would be moored and I would walk the sand flats until sundown. For those last 4 hours or so my eyes would pour tears. Almost allergy like. My eye's burned like crazy and felt like they were just doused in tobasco. I don't have a problem with salt water, heck I can swim underwater with my eyes wide open in the stuff, so I don't know exactly what it was? Maybe wind whipping under the frames or the intensity of bahamian sun? All I know is, it sucked. I got my first pair of Costa's. The Fathom model - in Blue Mirror / grey 580 lenses - For offshore fishing there is no better - from then and there two more stints in Abaco and no eye problems at all - Maybe the frames? Maybe the mirroring? Maybe the 5 levels of UV protection. Whatever it was, it made a lifelong Costa wearer out of me!

Check out SMITH OPTICS HSOforum. Many styles, sizes, and lens types. Several have polarized lens and quite a few are interchangable. They have a great guarantee too. I had a pair two years and the nose pad came off. They sent a new pair instead of fixing them. I am on my second pair in seven years and I wear them daily. Great shades. Find a pair you want and save some money by searching the net auctions.

Costas all the way guys! I like the Fathoms with the 400 lenses. Vermilion and Amber CR39, as well as the Tripletail in the Gray CR39. I also have the Blackfin in the 580 Blue Mirror. They cover every light condition from low and flat to bright and sunny! cool

Paul.