Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
glenn57

minnows for opener

16 posts in this topic

whats everyone hearing? heard from a couple sources that shiners might be somewhat hard to come by for opener.

never had a problem finding them around mille lacs. i don't go there for opener anymore. everyone and grandmothers been waiting to fish, and thats where thet'll be! i like to go another walleye lake, i find it to be more enjoyable. i will start putting in time on mille lacs two weeks after opener.

haven't heard anything. hopefully the bait shop I go to has golden shinners otherwise it will be a slow opener.

i try to find spotted shiners, the ones with one black spot on their tail. seem to work the best on opener and a bit after till the water warms a bit.

My brother traps minnow, and he always ends up with a bunch of big fat rainbows and shiners. I like to use the big rainbows, big 4 and 5 inchers. Later in the month is when when the shiners really "shine".

mrklean, this past winter was pretty bad for alot of shiner ponds so it's safe to assume shiners will be pretty hard to come by.

must be why they got so spendy toward the end of the year and how one day they were at the baitshop next day they were all gone

Originally Posted By: firefish_12
I like fatheads--nice and cheap and they catch walleyes

ditto smile

me too!!!

I sure we will have fatheads, shiners, and redtails with us. If we can find some smaller redtails.

In the spring I like to use the smaller ones. Sometimes you get a nice mix. You never know what the fish are going to want.

The shop I go to in Harris already has everything except spot and red tails. They said they'll be before opener though. It's already easier to get good bait than it was last year. I bet a lot of shops still won't have them though unless they trap them themselves.

I love them rainbows. I trap my own and it seems like they the most lively for sure... I also like chubs but I totaly agree with leechbait, wait till the end of the month into june and let the shiners shine!