• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

oil pressure?

You think restore made your Crank break???You cant be serious, It may increase vicosity slightly, certainly not up to a 10w40. It is designed to adhere to worn seals and cylinders. I am not saying it's a miracle in a can, as for snake oil I dont even know what that means. It is proven to raise oil pressure and increase compression. It has worked for me and many customers of mine. All I'm saying is that 15 or more people, including myself it has worked for, and one person saying it broke his crank.....I think the odds are its worth a try at least.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You know its raising compression because you can feel it or you actually measured it? How exactly does it increase oil pressure. Is it raising compression because of the thicker viscosity of oil on the cylinder walls making it harder for compressed gases to sneak by? Have you gathered data/torn down a worn out motor before installing this product and then gathered the same data/torn down after installing to see if it is actually doing what it claims to do?

It is a well known fact that people can "feel" and improvement even if you have done nothing to improve anything. People also get really sensitive to there vehicles after having them repaired. Thus the "it never did that before" rears its ugly head.

I manage a quick lube and I will tell you that I STRONGLY reccomend that you do not use a 15w40 weight. You will end up doing more damage to your motor than good. I would recomend that you try a product called Restore, you can buy it at any parts store and I've seen it work wonders, it will increase your compresion and your oil pressure for sure. Running a 15w40 will just make harder for your oil pump to get oil to critical parts of your motor overall causing more problems than you have right now. Just my 2 cents.

Sorry, I'm gonna side with Airjer on this one. Where I work we have over 100 vehicles of different types that we maintain on a regular basis. We have vendors from everywhere trying to get us to try/use their products, many of which we have agreed to "test" either for them or for us. Several years ago the "Restore" product came through and we agreed to try it and possibly buy it if the results were measureable. Seriously, after less than a year we had lower end failures in 2 of the 3 test vehicles. Not very good odds in my mind. Again, coincidence? Maybe, but we normally have very few if any failures of that kind for the most part.

As far as 15w40 damaging a motor because of lack of lubrcation? No, maybe if you are running it in the colder months. We have been running 15w40 in our diesel vehicles for 25 years, many of which have 5 to 600 thousand miles with NO lubrication related failures.

Its always best to run the recommended oil for any given vehicle, thats what the motor was designed for. But, on a vehicle that is worn, especially to the point of low oil pressure, a heavier weight is a safer bet any day.

I'm not saying I'm right. Everybody here knows I am perfectly capable of being wrong (especially Macgyver, who has corrected me more than once blush) !!! If I am wrong than somebody will let me know and I accept that. In the end it makes me a better tech and keeps me humble!! grin

I'm just curious how you came to the conclusion that it really works. Do you have facts and proof? Heck, Oilman just about has me convinced that Amsoil is some pretty good stuff and I'm the biggest anti-synthetic guy you will ever meet!! It's my opinion that these products (Restore/Zmax/whatever) are smoke and mirrors and there is a shortage of physical evidence that proves they really work.

I inspected a toyota that had low oil pressure a few months back. Its oil screen was covered in a material that looked like shredded Teflon tape. The history of the vehicle was unknown as it was purchased at an auction. Whats one of the ingredients in engine restore? Kind of makes you wonder.

I am going to jump in here on the original topic, and give my .02

I see 2 options here, a weak pump, or worn bearings causing low pressure.

If you add 15w40 to a good tight motor, it will make the oil pump work harder. But we arent talking about a tight motor.

If the cause of the low oil pressure is worn bearings, then the thicker oil will help, and probably last along time, as long as you dont beat on it.

If the cause of the low oil pressure is because of a weak pump, the thicker oil will only mask the problem for awhile then the pump will just get weaker.

I would put 15w40 in this old high mile truck and not even think twice about it.

Quote:
I manage a quick lube and I will tell you that I STRONGLY reccomend that you do not use a 15w40 weight. You will end up doing more damage to your motor than good.

Who informed you of this? We are talking about a 94 Blazer 350, with over 150,000 plus miles on it, with verified low oil pressure at idle. 15w40 is not that for from 10w30 wink . It is not like we are saying to go ahead with 80w90 or even 20w50 grin

Heck, my GMC 3 tons 305 engine is tight, but I run 15w40 in it all summer long and have for many years now.

Quote:
I would recommend that you try a product called Restore, you can buy it at any parts store and I've seen it work wonders, it will increase your compression and your oil pressure for sure.

I look at it this way, if such a thing was possible and worked so great, why are the auto manufactures not using for factory warranty engine issues?

Quote:
Running a 15w40 will just make harder for your oil pump to get oil to critical parts of your motor overall causing more problems than you have right now. Just my 2 cents.

All 15w40 is going to do if put in this engine is going to make it turn over slower during winter months (below -0).

I would and have run it. Heck, years ago when I had an old 400M Ford, I ran 20w50 for thousands of miles because of a low oil pressure is. I beat the tar out of that truck in my teen years and it did blow up grin, but I got a couple summers and a winters use out of that 400 before I had to replace it (bought it with the low oil pressure issue)..

You guys are all pretty old school, so I'll respect your opinions, but it certianly is not going to fix the issue at hand. I would not put 15w40 in anything I own, but to each their own. I hope it works for you and sneaks you bye a little bit longer.

Yep, there is only one vehicle I own now, that I would run 15w40 and that is my late 70's 3 ton HD 305. I know many who run it in their newer diesels also. It will not cure anything, but raise the oil pressure some.

Old school, heck I remember using a cool trick on my old trucks to quite the valve train down. You would dump a quart of ATF in the engine about 20-30 miles before you changed to oil. The high detergent value of ATF would clean out, quite down and loosen up a bunch of junk grin.

I would never think of doing this on my newer vehicles now. smile

Who informed you of this? We are talking about a 94 Blazer 350, with over 150,000 plus miles on it, with verified low oil pressure at idle.

no we are talking about a 93 k1500 chevy picku

All 15w40 is going to do if put in this engine is going to make it turn over slower during winter months (below -0).

i wasnt planning on running 15w-40 in the winter just the summer because the oil gets so warm so quick. i would change it back to 10w-30 in the winter since i like my vehicle to start when its -40

Sorry Tyler, I confused your truck with shizzy truck on the first page of this thread.

Yep, I would change it out before winter if you decide to put the 15w40 in..

Good luck with your truck smile

well now im kinda debating what to do since i realize now its going to put more strane on my oil pump? maybe that restore stuff with help. i put some justice brothers stuff in it at one time but once i changed the oil the lifter taping came back. but that doesnt really matter to me

You guys are all pretty old school, so I'll respect your opinions, but it certianly is not going to fix the issue at hand. I would not put 15w40 in anything I own, but to each their own. I hope it works for you and sneaks you bye a little bit longer.
maybe we are old school, but the engine in question is also. its a old small block chevy that is in essence the same as it was in 1955 with only minor changes to the heads and rear main seal with fuel injection bolted on top. this is NOT a 5.3 or a DOHC high revving Import engine. I doubt this engine ever sees anything past 4300RPM's.

well now im kinda debating what to do since i realize now its going to put more strane on my oil pump? maybe that restore stuff with help. i put some justice brothers stuff in it at one time but once i changed the oil the lifter taping came back. but that doesnt really matter to me

Try the thicker oil. I truly doubt it's going to hurt anything.

I wouldn't use any additives for this, it's just extra money for something that thicker oil might do. The Restore stuff is geared towards worn rings/cylinder walls for oil burning. So, it's not even aimed at low oil pressure issues.

Also, the lifter ticking on startup can be related to the oil filter. I believe there are at least two different filters that will fit, but one has a anti-drainback valve, one doesn't. If you use the one that doesn't you'll probably have a noisy engine on startup. Or, it could just be that the particular filter on the truck has a leaking anti-drainback valve.

yea there is only one filter that is recommended for my truck. as for the restore stuff does it REALLY work? like i said before my engine has around 169,000 so im thinking a bottle of this stuff (if it works) prolly wouldnt be a bad idea? i wanna get as many miles as i can outa this truck.

There is no miracle in a can! Spend your money on what you want but in the long run you will have a lot more invested in a worn out motor that will likely have lasted as long or longer than if you had not used the mechanic in a can products.

You are not the only one that has this issue. We see many of these every year and the same ones year after year. My advice don't worry about it until its an issue!

There is no miracle in a can! Spend your money on what you want but in the long run you will have a lot more invested in a worn out motor that will likely have lasted as long or longer than if you had not used the mechanic in a can products.

You are not the only one that has this issue. We see many of these every year and the same ones year after year. My advice don't worry about it until its an issue!

A whole lot of posts made until this one, which sums it up! Horse is dead. Well said, Airjer!