• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

oil pressure?

Quote:
A whole lot of posts made until this one, which sums it up! Horse is dead. Well said, Airjer!

What Jer said in his last post has been said in this thread pretty much on every page. Namely it was spelled out as "just go with it" back on the first page grin This thread spins back around so much, I am getting dizzy sick

Pretty much it sounds like Tyler is tight for money and an exploratory diagnosis or funds for a shop to "dig into it" are not easily available, much less a $1000-$2000 repair bill. So, any repair more than (lets just say) $50 is out of the question right now while he is in school. So his only option again, is to just see what will happen.

As far as Tyler’s concern with his Chevy, short of having a crystal ball, no one can say for sure that any cheap “mechanic in a can” will have a positive or negative in doing anything for his engine (short term oil pressure or long term "life" of the engine). Most likely it will just do nothing, but to say "it will do this" no one can say that, because no one at this point has full knowledge of all the variables involved in Tyler’s concern. Short of a proper repair, anything else he does to try and prolong this engine is subject to a “sorry, I do not know buddy. All you can do is give it a try and see what happens” answer grin.

This forum is great for helping someone find the answer when it comes to terminal “A-1” not have power to it, but when it comes to predicting even a remotely accurate answer to how long Tyler’s engine will last him (with or without 15w40, with or without Prolong, DuraLube, what ever in a can) is (IMO) beyond the realm of what this forum can do wink.

Good luck Tyler! smile

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

but when it comes to predicting even a remotely accurate answer to how long Tyler’s engine will last him (with or without 15w40, with or without Prolong, DuraLube, what ever in a can) is (IMO) beyond the realm of what this forum can do wink.

There was no prediction just a fair statement that the motor will last as long as its going to last no matter what you do.

Realistically anybody reading this can wake up tomorrow morning start up there car and have a rod go right through the block. Realistically it didn't matter when the oil was changed, whether it was conventional or the best sytnthetic oil used, if they used additives, or how many miles are on the motor. What matters is whether or not the problem is a problem. If there is a rod sticking out the block than yes. If your oil pressure is low at idle on your older Chevy with no other symptoms than no.

how is it dead? it still runs fine just low oil pressure. i was just wondering if something like restore would help it any?

Pretty much it sounds like Tyler is tight for money and an exploratory diagnosis or funds for a shop to "dig into it" are not easily available, much less a $1000-$2000 repair bill. So, any repair more than (lets just say) $50 is out of the question right now while he is in school. So his only option again, is to just see what will happen.

thats not true. i am just trying to keep it running as long as possible since i really dont feel like spending the money for these parts for a $1500 truck. i can fix it my self i dont need someone to do it for me. just hoping maybe someone new if this restore helps much?

I think he was referring to the thread as being dead not your vehicle.

You have one positive for the restore product and two negatives? This will not help with low oil pressure! I think its "claim" is to improve compression and reduce oil consumption. It is what it is low oil pressure. There is no magic fix.

There was no prediction just a fair statement that the motor will last as long as its going to last no matter what you do.

Um, I think that is what Tyler is aksing? grin

Originally Posted By: Tyler23
just hoping maybe someone new if this restore helps much?

In reference to Restore:

im not talking about fixing the low oil pressure problem. just helping the motor in anyway. anything to make it go longer and harder

Maybe I am also confusedgrin

To me it sounds like Tyler23 wants a testimonal posted in here about this Restore product from someone before he purchases it. The part of my post you quoted in your post was aimed at someone coming on here (FM auto forum) and saying Restore will work wonders for your issue Tyler. That part of my post you quoted was not directed at your post or you Airjer wink

Posted by Shackbash:

Posted by Tyler23:

thats not true. i am just trying to keep it running as long as possible since i really dont feel like spending the money for these parts for a $1500 truck. i can fix it my self i dont need someone to do it for me. just hoping maybe someone new if this restore helps much?

Sorry once again Tyler grin

I gathered most of my info for that statement from you past post from a couple pages back:

i hoping just to be able to get another 2 years out of it as then i will be done with college and be able to get something different. but now isnt the best time to have to put a motor in it.

I took the "now isnt the best time" as a lack of funds being the reason, being in college and all. My bad! smile Some times we have to read between the lines to help people out, other times I read too much between the lines. grin

Thats it I am out of this thread grin. Good luck Tyler on what ever you decide to do!

hey tyler, my 92 s10 has low oil pressure too, it only gets real low when i have to drive for a while, when the oil really warms up. so im in the same boat as you are in but i gotta wait another 3 years. this summer i will probably drop the oil pan and see if my screen is clogged up and if it aint ill probably put a new pump in while i got the pan off. but any other good suggestions would be appreciated!

Originally Posted By: shackbash

how is it dead? it still runs fine just low oil pressure. i was just wondering if something like restore would help it any?

I was refering to the post being dead, as in the old saying that goes something like "no sense in beating a dead horse". I am sorry if I came off as insensitive and a holish. Bottom line is that old 93 can more than likely go a long time with low pressure. I wouldn't sweat it TOO much, just keep an eye on the gage and keep your ears open for nasty noises. Keep your oil changed every 3-5 thousand miles, no additives should be necessary. A word on oil-most manufacturers are good. If they are certified by the API (American Petroleum Institute) to a particular rating (in the case of a '93 engine, any rating level on new-bought oil), then it should be good to go. Some brands will be better than others, but with regular changes it won't matter. I am a fan of semi-synthetics in the winter just because they do flow better (test it out-put some semi-syn in one jar and conventional in another of the same weight then stick them in the freezer for a few hours. You will see the difference in flow). One more note on the weight rating. Multi-weight oil is formulated to provide better flow, but with reduced surface tension properties until it warms up. 5W-30 and 10W-30 both have the same flow and tension resistance when warm. It is a little more complicated than this, but in a nut-shell that's about it. My advice, to make a short story long :P, would be to use a 10W40 in the warmer months, and a semi-syn 10W30 in the colder months. Oh ya, while oil is fairly consistant from brand to brand, filters are not. I don't mean to make a pitch for any particular brand, but Napa's filters are made by Wix. A wise choice.

I would just run it. Those small block chevys are the best motors ever made, they dont need oil to run! I had 91 that needed valve seals bad so it burned alot of oil. I had it so low a couple times it would loose oil pressure if you hit a bump! That motor had 250,000 really hard miles on it and still ran good when I rebuilt it, it really didnt look that bad considering what it had been through! I dont know what it would cost today but I rebuild mine for about $1000, which included all machine work: bored, crank ground, decked, and valves ground. And all the parts to put it back together.

im thinking that must have been a few years ago. i got a quote on just the machining and it was around 1,000 for just that.

I would get a couple more quotes.

Now that I think about it that was 8 years ago! Man time flies!

I think $1000 still seems kinda steep, but I might be wrong.