• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

One last trip sledin' before spring.

thorski

Hopefully tomorrow. will be up north by about 6 pm, put on a few miles and then see how things are Sat. Morn. But probably nothing much is my guess, as I need to drive roads to get back home...

We had a great day, although a bit warm for my liking! We parked at the Taconite where it crosses 65 and headed east to the Arrowhead, took that north to the Crane lake turn off north of Orr. Jumped on the Vermillion river at VRT and on to Crane lake. Then up to Ash River, then back to the Arrowhead trail and south to Cook. After a burger and a short breather we took the Bear Track trail down to the Tim Corey, to the Taconite and back to the truck. With a little bit of off trail adventure we totaled 298 miles. A great way to end the season! Most of the trail conditions we encountered were very good considering the temps, but deteriorating real quick.

I did a short trip around the Cushing area on Fishtrap lake and the trails in that neighborhood. They were in good shape and very little sun erosion .I went by myself because I knew there was some snow in that area.I was in Staples on Thursday and Ashby on Friday for work so I spotted some decent snow cover and Saturday I was off .Sent a few pictures to some friends and now they're calling "Can't believe you went without me"I wasn't kidding when I said I'm going Saturday.

Two weeks ago Saturday I ran into a culvert.I'm ok but the sled needed some minor repairs,ski,trailing arm,windshield and throttle.You know when you die they say you see a bright light...turns out the bright light I saw was me looking at my head light upside down.that was a good thing for a milla second I thought I was going to the other side.The sled 95 xlt touring ran good but seemed to dart around quite a bit ,think some adjusting to the skis will cure that.

I sure do have fun Snowmobiling ,I just need to move up to the 2000 class or newer.Maybe next year.

We rode the Northshore trail from Two Harbors to Finland and back on Saturday. We arrived in Finland to find St.Urohos fest in full swing and the temps above 50. Due to the amount of sleds on the trail and the warm temps, a lot of spots were dirt and mud on the way back. Great last ride though.

We rode the Northshore trail from Two Harbors to Finland and back on Saturday. We arrived in Finland to find St.Urohos fest in full swing and the temps above 50. Due to the amount of sleds on the trail and the warm temps, a lot of spots were dirt and mud on the way back. Great last ride though.

Deep_Sinker-

We did the same thing. We had to 2 Arctic Cats with kids sitting on our laps. What were you riding? Did you get checked by the DNR officers at the RR crossing? There was a small stretch of trail (a couple miles south of Finland) that was getting in tough shape by afternoon. But once we cleared that, riding was good again. All in all, a pretty good day. We got caught up in the St. Urho's day celebration as well! Made the mistake of trying to get something to eat at W.B. Took forever, but good food.

We got a weekend ride of a lifetime in one last time and here is my story...

You have to love living in Minnesota.

Where else can you see these things in one weekend??

Last weekend my buddy and I did a final horrah of snowmobiling and a little ice fishing.

While fishing we saw a bald eagle swoop in a grab a fish out of the open water (where the Nokasippi River comes into the lake)

We then began to catch crappies and perch.

A little while later we headed on down the snowmobile trail for a fabulous 75 mile loop. While sledding, we were stopped by two other riders that showed us a rough grouse on the side of the trail. The thing would come right up to you and peck your hand as you held it out. That was strange. I've never seen a tame grouse in the wild before.

30 miles later we had a wild turkey fly up over our head and another bald eagle circling above- and a few deer here and there.

The next morning Sat. we got up early to trailer to a spot north of Aitkin to ride a trail we've never been on before. At 6:30am we were driving on Hwy 18 headed toward Garrison and saw something in the ditch that didn't look like a deer. We turned around shined our lights on it and it was a big timberwolf. He was eating something in the ditch- he looked at us for a second and then took off running into the woods. We couldn't believe our eyes!

Later in the morning we came across some more deer and counted 9 all together that we seen while snowmobiling both days.

How spoiled are we to live in this beautiful state of ours??

Love it!!!