• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Pointing Dog Clinic, Pointing trials

setterguy

Wondering how much interest threre would be in a pointing dog clinic. From reading posts here it sounds like there are more than a few guys here that are new to or thinking about getting into the pointing dog game. I know of a couple pros that would be more than willing to come out and go over some of the major "points" of handling and training pointing dogs. I could supply birds to keep the cost down, Maybe 15 bucks per guy? Just an idea let me know if anyone has interest in attending.

Also our dog club (Minnesota Bird Hunters Association) is coming up on our fall trial. The dates are October 4th and 5th. Last spring a couple guys from the site came out and we had a great time, One guy actually took a placement! Our grounds are located 80 minutes north of The TC on 169. If anyone has any questions leave a post, that way I can answer once! Feel free to email as well.

[email protected]

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes Im interested in the clinic. Even if there isnt enough guys to have it, Ill be at the trial. Im kinda reved up for it. I told my wife that I wont be around that weekend, she said put it on the calander. She knows Im not around Oct, Nov, and Dec. Training her has been harder than any dog would be. Oct is a very busy month, the Duck opener, trial, Phesant opener, SD Duck Shoot, and Halloween. I tell ya its hard to concentrate on Catfishin right now. And I fish about 4 nights a week. Ill email ya sometime in Sept. Oh yeh, early Goose season in Sept. Cant help it, Im a Huntin Fool! Thanks J Rookie K.

Well it sounds like we have enough interest this year for a little get together, so lets start throwing out some dates that would work for everyone. I am thinking sometime at the end of March, maybe the 27th or 28th? Let me know what you guys think........

I have some remote launchers, and bird crates so we could actually get on some birds.

Not sure when I will get a pup yet,..doesn't look like I will have a pup until May. Any possibilities of running a clinic later in the season?

Maybe I might be better off with a new pup and waiting until late summer early fall.

Late March/early April - it's gonna be pretty sloppy out there, ain't it? Doesn't matter, pick a date and I'd love to join ya! Sadie (my GSP pheasant machine) could use a high octane day of bird scent to burn off some winter "insulation". grin.gif

Blaze

It sounds like the 20th of March is the best for everyone, I was trying to shy away from that date because there is a FM get-together that day but personally I would rather get out with the pooch for a day than chase panfish. Let me know what you guys think. I would also like to hear some things that you would like to see, or work on. I have a commitment from a guy from our club to join us also. Should we tenativley say the 20th?

------------------
Keep the tip up, ask permission and shoot straight. Setterguy

Sounds good to me, the only problem would be if I come up short on employees. They're pretty good about being here if I make plans. What are you thinking about doing? Getting the dogs on some birds would be fun. Anything that could help us new pointer guys would be great.

Thanks, Scotty

20th sounds good! Is this going to be live fire and birds or not? If there are birds are you planning on providing? If so let me know how much $$ you need and I will get you a check ahead of time for a few birds. Otherwise I can probably pick up some birds from Oakwood 5.00 chucker 6.5 hen 7.5 rooster is what they charge me.

I can pick up some birds. I may be able to get some pigeons or quail. If not we may have to go the Oakwood route. Lets try and get some conformations, then we can determine how many birds we will want. As far as live fire, thats up to you. If retrieving is something that you want to work on then by all means we can shoot some birds. I would also like to hear some other things that you guys want to work on so I know what equiptment to bring. ie backing, steady to wing and shot, quartering ect. Look forward to meeting you guys and your dogs. It should be a fun day.

------------------

I'll check on the 20th with the CEO. Aside from a bird or 2 I have everything I need. I'm just bringing my pup so my needs are few. I have a manual bird launcher, a quail/pigeon bird cage, a couple 20 ft. checkcords and an el-cheapo starter pistol that I could bring if extra stuff is needed.
gspman

Keep me posted on get-togethers later in the spring, summer or fall, I'd really like to participate and learn some stuff from you guys, as this is my first pointer. I would like to come and watch this time, but I will be on LOW that weekend for some spring walleye action.

I pick up my pooch on May 1st, she is expected to be born on March 13th. I am getting an English Setter from LeSueur River Kennels out of Waseca.

Setterguy, where are you thonking of doing this? I had commited to the FM get together but I can fish anytime, but if we will be that way I will do both. If you need any help settimg things up give me a e-mail [email protected]

------------------
Will fish for work
Brian Rogers

[This message has been edited by BDR (edited 03-01-2004).]

I was planning on holding the clinic at the four brooks WMA near Milaca MN. The DNR and the Minnesota Field trial association has gotten together and designated 40 acres of land to dog training. You have to have a permit to train here but as long as you are with me there is no problem. The land is located on 169 approximatley 15 miles north of Milaca. It is about 1 1/2 hours north of the TC.

Mayfly- your dog doesn't need to be able to do anything, this is an opportunity to get together and learn from some guys that have been in the pointing dog game for a long time. I have secured a couple of guys that have been training and competing with pointing dogs for years. I am thinking about breaking up into groups with different guys going over different specific things that some of you have mentioned here. Backing, steady to wing and shot, quartering ect. I am going to be in touch with a couple of pro trainers to see if they may lend a hand also. Next week sometime I will put together number of guys/gals that will be attending so we can get a little more specific. It sounds like we are going to have a good turnout! I am really excited to meet you guys and your pooches. Lets hope for some warm weather so that we aren't trianing in 4 inches of water. But hey even a wet day training is better than a dry day working!!! If you have any questions or suggestions please feel free to post them here or mail me directly.

[email protected]

------------------