• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Eating way less??????????

DCL

My 2 yr old yellow lab usually always ate about 4 cups of food a day. Lately he barely eats 2 cups. Everything seems fine. He runs 1.5 - 2 miles a day. Just doesn't want to eat any more than that. He has always been a nibbler. Takes him all day to eat his bowl full. Any thoughts on what is going on????? Thanks

I would guess the prievious comment is correct that the dog is matured and doesn't need as much food. Be happy you can feed them as much as you want and the dog regulates this on there own. This is rare and is easier to deal with than the dog that will eat the whole bag. Useualy when they get older too you will have to keep an eye on them because they will start eating more than they need. And it is important not to let them do that. If you keep the dog at a thin healthy weight you will have less health issues and be able to avoid the knee and joint issues easier. You are lucky to have a dog that eats that way. It too could be caused by the dog realy not caring for that perticular food too.

Been on it a long time. I feed Candidae ALS. Dog has always eaten this way. It has never just sat down and ate it all up. I used to feed 2x day, but he would never finish it all, so started putting in all 4 cups and he nibbles at it all day. Do I need to go back to 2x day and just give him what he will eat in a short time period. He seems healthy????

My dogs a nibler also and I just leave the food out and let he eat when she is hungry. She is also a healthy dog. I see no reason to pick up the food unless other critters around to scarf it up.

I agree, My 1 year old springer has never been a big eater, just eat when he wants. I also feed him 2 cups in the morning and 2 cups in the evening, he hardly ever finishes his 2 cups in the evenings.

Been on it a long time. I feed Candidae ALS. Dog has always eaten this way. It has never just sat down and ate it all up. I used to feed 2x day, but he would never finish it all, so started putting in all 4 cups and he nibbles at it all day. Do I need to go back to 2x day and just give him what he will eat in a short time period. He seems healthy????

Well like the others said I would not worry about it too much, just like you probably do ,look at the bag and follow the recomendations they give on the bag for the size of the dog and that should be close. you can ajust from there if they gain a bit too much or are hunting too much you can give a little more. I would try leaving out the recomended amount and let them eat at there leasure if thats what it takes. If there is no way the dog is eating enough in your opinion you may want to check with the vet and also make sure the dog is passing good stools. Good luck.

I have a 2yr old british lab doing the same thing. 2 feedings a day (4 cups total) if he does not eat in the morning then we save it for dinner. I cant figure it out. He does not show any signs of being ill and acts as a dog should but he just does not have a big appetite. We have a GSP that eats everything in sight so leaving it out to nibble on is not an option. The dog is at a healthy weight and very active. I don't know maybe he just does not need to eat as much.

FnF

I'm not saying this is the case, but one of our labs started eating less and sporatically and we didn't make anything out of it. Then when she started to loose a little weight, we took her in and found out she had some kind of liver disease. We tried the medication, but at that point it was too far advanced and she didn't last 2 months.

It never hurts to get a blood test when your in for the yearly shots etc (unfortunatly we didn't). It "could" diagnose a major health issue before it is serious.

My old dog would eat some meals and not eat others. She was good at eating when she was hungry. I realize that you are looking for opinions, but you know your dog better than anyone. If you think something is not right, I would take it to the vet and have it checked out. That way there is no nagging question in the back of your mind if something is wrong. If you think it is fine, then wouldn't worry about it. If you think it is strange behavior, then take it in for a quick check. Will put your mind at ease.

If anyone ever wants to take a pet in to the vet for a "just in case" scenario like this you may want to check out the Banfield Clinics, most are found inside your local PetSmart stores but I believe they have other stand alone locations as well.

I believe its Tuesdays and Thursday afternoons they offer free clinic visits. You would still have to pay for a test or medication but it won't cost you anything for the actual visit. It makes the "just in case" visit a little easier knowing you won't have to pay the visit fees when there is likely nothing wrong with the dog. Its also a good time to bring your dog in for routine vacinations and exams if possible, makes it a little cheaper for visits you know are coming up and can plan your schedule to make one of the free times work for you.

Anyways just a suggestion. I've only taken a cat to Banfield before but they seem to do a good job based on my limited contact with them and when our new puppy arrives we'll likely take him there as well.