• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Scrape sightings?

bmc

My dad and I were out yesterday fine tuning a couple stand locations. I'd just climbed up into one of our portables and looked down to see a scrape right below the tree! This stand is located in a real thick popple cutting with a few oak mixed in....definitely buck country in there. I was suprised to see a scrape this early. We went and walked the edge of a nearby field and no scrapes there. Usually that's the first place we see scrapes is on the field edges. The dirt was real black and moist looking, not a leaf in the scrape, but there were some tracks in it. I'm guessing it was made in the last day or two. Anyone else seeing scrapes? We hunt north of Cohasset, MN (Itasca County).

Brian

I was out hiking on some state land in Todd county last week and noticed a light scrape on the edge of some woods. At first I thought it was just a deer pawing on the ground looking for acorns or whatever but it also had a licking branch over it with the end freshly chewed on. Definately a good sign. Do earlier scrapes have anything to do with the age of the buck?

I have been finding scrapes now for the last week and a half. I hunt the Little Falls and Bemidji areas and have found scrapes in both areas. What I have read and witnessed is that most of the early scrapes are made by the smaller bucks in the area the larger bucks won't usually start really scraping until mid to late October. I have been sitting on a couple of good scrape lines and have only seen smaller bucks, relatively smaller. Soon the big boys will start to show up.
Good luck out there and keep those broadheads sharp.

I've seen 4-5 scrapes, all most likely made by the same buck. The first ones have been there at least two weeks. It's right under the limbs of a permanent stand, where the stand & scrapes have both been for 5-7 years. The other scrapes were in the connecting fencelines within a couple 100 yards, all on field edges.

Brian, how far north of Cohasset do you hunt? I also hunt north of there. Ps have seen about a half dozen scrapes so far this year. Mostly small one's. I suspect by the 24th or so they will be all over the place.

Just helped a guy in our hunting party put his stand out for rifle. He is sitting on 4 VERY HEAVILY used deer trails. All of the trails meet at the exact same place. Right around the spot where the trails meet there is 3 huge scrapes that have been getting oncovered about every week. Seeing the scrapes i cant wait to see the buck thats making them.

I've been seeing a lot of scrapes in So MN. I saw a couple right after opener,...and they have multiplied since. I talked to a friend of mine that hunts near Alexandria, and he has also seen many near his stand up there.

EXTREME,

My dad owns 120 acres on the North Shoal Lake Road. Being you're a bowhunter, you are probably a customer of his. Tonight he talked to a friend who lives on the South Shoal Lake Road to find out there's been alot of coyote activity around his place, and I mean lots. I'm sure that doesn't help the deer hunting. I've got duck fever bad right now, especially after what we saw this morning, well over 1,000 birds, no kidding!!! My favorite time of year to bowhunt is coming up, so I'll give the ducks a break then. Good Luck with the rest of your season.

Brian