• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

LOL Memory lane

Random guy

Kelly was going through some old photos and found a picture of me and my first Archery deer...takes a guy back to when camo came in two options; brown or green. No scent suits or fancy sights and rests, just time in the woods and some good face paint. grin

If I remember right that doe was like 400lbs and running at 50 yards...okay maybe it was 100lbs and snuck under my stand on me. laugh

jonfirstdeerbow1987v.jpg

its amazing we ever killed anything! I remember when mail order catalogs only had army bdu woodland camo. how many deer were killed when the person was wearing blue jeans? now it has to be ultra quite carbon impregnated 3 dimensional and waterproof/plus breathable, which I never can understand, yeah yeah goretex has tiny holes that allow air travel through but not water, modern marvel, but we did survive thousands of years without it. nice deer, my first archery deer looked a lot like that one.

Wow some nice pictures! makes me realize how easy i have it only getting into archery 5 years ago. DonBo you mean to tell me that stick can kill something grin in all honesty i give you all my respect for hunting archery back in the day and thats to everyone. It took much more skill to harvest an animal back then then it does now days. Atleast for us shooting compounds. People dont realize how easy we have it and yes we do get caught up in all this new technology when realisticly do we need it????? makes me wonder why i dropped over a grand in archery this year. Guess its called addiction!

again nice pictures and keep them coming!

You think about it, though...that standard camo pattern in the first picture did break up your silhouette quite well. It did the job....

I still have an old suit in Treebark camo that I no longer wear, nor need... And THAT was the big thing when it first came out...

Steve

I painted my old hunting truck tree bark camo! cool

Those where the good old days. I still remember the set-up. Darton 50MX compound shot instinctive/gap style at a max draw weight of 40lbs. 40 was the minium for hunting and I had to work pretty hard to get my 12 year old arms to pull 40 lbs.

The arrows where the newest thing. Gamegetter XX75s in 2016 with Razorback 5 broadheads and chartruse feathers with matching nocks as they where also the newest and coolest thing on the market and it made it easier for my father to help me find lost arrows. laugh

I guess it all came full cirle, I used to shoot nothing but the latest Mathews with a perfectly balanced arrows at 4.3 grains per lb at 13% forward of center putting bullet holes in the tuning paper. I would drill all my nocks so the all weighed the same and would get fustrated at the 70 yard mark when the wind would pull my light carbon arrows. crazy It can get out of hand pretty easy.

Now I have simplified the whole deal, like that kid in the picture. Recurve and pulled the instinctive style back out of the memory banks. Now I cant the bow 45 degres and with both eyes open I concentraite on the arrow hitting the foam buck at twenty yards. If I get bored I pull out the Flu Flus and go for a walk shooting pine cones off the trees...and looking for my arrows. I have a blast with it, pop the string and hang it up. NO tuning ,dialing, adjusting or target panic.

Sometimes we all get so wound up in fastest, flatest and hardest hitting we forget why we started it in the first place.

I started out with the simplest gear and yea continue to use the latest greatest gear.

After almost 40 plus years of bow hunting, I have seen many go from the long bow to the compound bow and now back to the long bow again.

My camo was dark green or brown shirts and pants. It worked.

Nice, I'll try to find the photo of my first, if it hasn't turned to dust by now. blush

Check out the Moon Boots.

clip_image002.gif

Was tree stand hunting legal at that time?

My dad always talks about how tree stand hunting was illegal when they first started bowhunting. I hunted from the ground for the first time ever last season and I don't have anything good to say about it. A tree stand really gives the bowhunter an advantage, but the deer's sense of smell never seems to let them down.

Great picture Don. Makes me think I should start scanning and storing all those old hunting and fishing photos.