• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Plan on making a RV purchase this spring

Powerstroke

So my wife and I decided its about time we get a more permanent solution for travel camping. We enjoy our many tents, but in our effort to see more of this great country we have decided to get some form of RV.

Up until this point we have planned on getting a hybrid travel trailer. It is the right weight for my vehicle and accomplishes most of our major wants in a camper. The limiting factor is my tow vehicle with its 5000lb rating.

Lately I did some reading and so now I'm sort of entertaining the thought of a Class C motorhome. It accomplishes most of the same needs and there are some models in the same price range (though obviously used).

We have my wife and I, 2 daughters ages 8 and 6 and a 40lb dog. We plan on traveling the country. I also plan on using this for hunting whereever I can draw a tag. We plan on keeping this for at least 3-5yrs. We realize when our children grow up more we will need more room. By then I hope to have a larger tow vehicle because a large 5'r is our dream.

Any thoughts or personal experiences?

We had a used class A for a while and it was pretty good. I would look real hard around windows etc for leaks. That and I heard Class C motorhome tend to leak a bit more than class A motorhomes. But price is always and issue. Depending on your price range it may not be a bad idea to look at a somewhat more used/older Class A, they tend to be better built.

Power, we started with a big pop up camper with the kids, they loved it!. Then we had 2 different class C's. The kids loved it! I think kids would have fun in any camper. Once we did get an RV since they could sit up top and look out the window while still in their jammys, and could go to the frig and get a pop, or could go to the bathroom, and Dad would not have to stop! Dad loved it!! laugh Right now there should be a ton of good class C's out there with the gas the way it was, and the Econ, not so hot! But like upnorth said, check around the edges of the roof for leaks. Almost every used one I had ever looked at and the 2 we had, did have some leakage up there. I did do a little extra silicon job on mine just to make sure! We ran ours out to Yellow stone twice, and stayed at a lot of camper grounds up north. But a lot of campgrounds are selling out and going private so it's getting a little harder to find ones open to the Public. Good luck and have fun! Good place to watch for them coming up it the RV area on C/list.

Now is a good time to buy. Dealers have show prices on units that are pretty close to cost.

We went with a hybird with a slideout after 10 years with a popup. It pulls around 5,000 lbs. loaded. Without leveling, my Suburban's bumper drops about 1.5 inches.

We looked at a lot of models and floor plans and found one we liked. Factor in how much you'll use it, how far you'll tow it and how much time you'll spend inside

We are on our second class C. We wouldn't have got rid of our first one if it weren't for 2 thing: 1) My wife and I wanted a bed in the back which is more comfy that a pull-out sofa. 2) We wanted more storage. My recommendation would be to buy a bigger motorhome that you could grow into, especially if you know that down the road you would be doing this anyway. The basement storage is such a HUGE benefit to buying newer (year 2000 and newer). We have a 31 foot and we pull a boat. I don't have any problems dropping my boat into landings. In fact, there's little, noticeable difference between my 31 foot and my previous 24 foot. Either way you will NOT be getting good gas mileage, but for us, we'd have to take two cars everywhere if we had a pull behind (one for camper, one for boat) so there's not a huge difference. The one nice thing about a pull behind is that once you set up camp, and you decide to run to a store or something, you just drive your truck. You certainly can do this with a motorhome as well, it's just a little disruptive once you have camp all set up. Good Luck.

I guess after looking at the prices of used class C's I am thinking they are out of our range. I did find one that had a floorplan and price that would work, but seeing how underpriced it was to the rest it leaves me wondering why a dealer would have this unit so cheap.

Of the Hybrid campers we are considering, I'm looking at the Aerolite Cub 185, the Jayco 19H and the Rockwood Roo in either the 183 or the 19. We like the 183 because it has 3 push out queen beds, but it doesn't have a couch.

I like the Roo's cause they have excellent insulation, even for a camper and it sounds like they are very well built. Cub and Jayco each have their own accolades.

Does anyone have experience with these brands/trailers?

insulation shouldn't matter that much on a hybrid. you will still have the fold out ends, that are canvas. I was about to pull the trigger on a hybrid, when I found a 28' enclosed trailer in the same price range. I like the enclosed travel trailor for the noise reduction. with the pop out ends, you still will hear EVERYTHING in the campground, just like a pop-up or tent. might not be a big deal for some, but my kids are light sleepers and don't wake up at all until their regular time.

Just to let you know if you ever go out to Yellow stone or a few other parks like that. There are camp areas they will not let you stay in if you have a softsided pop out because of the Bears. But there are a ton of great place to camp!

I agree with Ron. If I'm in colder temps, I won't be with the family. I will sleep on the couch or dinette bed and leave the sides shut. Turn up the furnace or plug in an electric heater.

I'm not terribly worried about the noise factor. You don't really take a camper to a state park or RV park for piece and quiet IMO. When I want quiet I go to the BWCA.