• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Are Bucks really smarter than does? maybe not.

buzzsaw

I just read an editorial from Outdoor news in which an individual claims that does are actually smarter than bucks!? This goes against everything I have heard and been told.. read the article and give your two cents worth and experience on this subject.
www.outdoornews.com
It's under "Smart old bucks"

[This message has been edited by buzzsaw (edited 08-24-2004).]

From my experience a doe with fawns around her still are by far the most difficult in a hunting situation. My hunts have only been ruined by a doe with fawns. I have never had a lone doe or a buck spot or scent me.

I agree with the article completely, when I read it last week I almost made a post of my own at the time. I can't go so far as to say I've never had a lone buck spot or smell me, but it's been rare. It's not been rare with mature does. It's definitely gotten more rare as I've learned to control my scent much better, but they're half again as smart as the bucks I'd say. I've had several conversations with a gentleman I know from our area that shot a huge buck about 10 years ago, who basically only shoots large bucks. He said he's got does in his area that look up almost every tree, he's watched them do it & they never get close to any of his stands. Think about it, when you're going some place potentially dangerous with your kids, you look out for all the potential dangers because you know they won't see them.

I believe this article completely. The does just seem to be so much more cautious and I also believe people see more does than bucks, so that is how the rumor comes about. I shot my first and only (so far) pope & young buck in early October in 2001, that deer wasn't much smarter than a box of rocks. This is just my thoughts and I thought it was a great article.

Fish- N- Hunt

I think people think that big bucks are smarter because they never see them. I call it more habit than not. Most bucks are nocturnal (sp) from late Sept until the rut it seems. If you call that smart than I guess they are smarter....I call it more instinct and habit. Those big does are smart though....don't give your position away or they will look into that tree for the rest of their lives!

I think people also don't see that many big bucks because percentage wise there aren't really all that many. A huge percentage of the bucks killed each year are yearlings & obviously they never become large.

I put up one of my ladder stands last night & did a bit more trimming by a permanent. The fever's getting so bad I don't know if I can handle these next 3 1/2 weeks. I saw 6-7 fawns with spots last night. I would think some of them should be starting to loose them pretty quick.

the majority of fawns ive been seeing ar twins and even a few more triplets this year. i think maybe the cold weather has something to do with it but that my opinion. around here i think most fawns are still gonna have spots when opener rolls around. cant wait to got in the woods again. i wish it was fall all year long!!

------------------
this is just my 2 cents
Pooh

Here we go...another "woman are smarter than men" deal. We already have to pay higher insurance, can't they just let us thing we target the "smarter" bucks. hehe

To respond to pooh - The fawns I have been seeing don't have spots anymore. Since you mentioned twins, I have been watching the same set of twin bucks for 3 years now. Look like they might be good shooters now. However, they are the dumbest two bucks I have ever seen and I am surprised that they haven't been taken during gun season by now. I would estimate that I have had over 20 arrow opporunities on these two bucks combined.

was looking at deer today, 2 week before opener and am still seeing spots. not sure why but the spots are still really white, they just arent disappearing from what i have saw, anyone else seen different??

------------------
this is just my 2 cents
Pooh