• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

2009 King of the Cats Contest

DTro

• Replies 551
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Went out on the Redwood River yesterday and had a great time with some kitties. The kitties were on the bite. This is the earliest I have ever been able to get a consistant bite from the cold water cats. Caught 8 cats in about an hour. 42 degrees, no wind, quiet with only a few roosters cackling and clickers reminding me that I was finely on open water, whew... life is good.

ha ha, they were not big by any means but I figured I better get a start while I can. Water here is way out of the banks all over and a real mess now. It was sure fun though. They were putting the smack down on the river chubs.

I have come to the conclusion that it's not worth targeting the trophy Cats until it warms up quite a bit. The river temps are still so very cold and the weather has been consistently cold lately and now I hear about a possibility of snow. Let me know when Spring is truly here and the temps are consistently 65-70 degrees and the water temp hits 50 degrees.

COME ON SPRING!!!

I dont target cats until mid April or so, but I do fish for whatever that will bite, in spots where cats are, and will catch a few here and there. I wont cast out live bait, I usually just fish crawlers on bottom, or I will cast a Mr Twister for some whities until then.

2 more channel outings scheduled for this week. I should be bumpin elbows with whiskers if all goes well. Been slow for me thus far, but plenty of those "should have been here yesterday days" Fish are being caught down here for sure. Standard spring hit and miss thou.

I tell ya what, that was my first time out on open water trying for cats and it was like a fix! I got that out of the way but now here comes the winter again, snowing and blowing like crazy... sigh.. Guess I will have to do the open water thing all over again lol... Good thing was I had a few fozen river chubs left over in the freezer, but now they are all gone.. now I am going to have to come up with another plan...

I do know that with all this high water and crazy curent, the river is going to scour some real good holes again that were silted in and the flatties will have some place to feel safe again until I find them this summer..

I thought I heard it's supposed to snow this weekend with no less than 6" but that's just what I heard on the radio down here.

Snow Saturday & Sunday was the rumor from Sven on KARE11 last night.