• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

arrow rests

I've been intrigued by the WB rest - I like the idea of holding the arrow on the rest for hunting. At one time there were lots of reports of accuracy really falling off over 25 - 30 yards, and also lots of reports of accuracy problems in wet weather or in freezing temperatures. Does anyone have any first-hand experience with WB rests?

I've used a plain old TM Hunter rest for years. Like the accuracy, like the simplicity of it.

I shoot a Bisquit. It is what it is, a hunting rest. I guarantee a loss of speed. But I also guarantee no more than 3-9 FPS.
I also guarantee your arrow will never fall off the rest when it is "go time". Trust me, more deer have been missed from botching the draw then ever were due to a 5fps loss in velocity.
They are quiet and easy to tune. If you put one drop of fletch-tite at the beginning of each fletching, it will cure the problem of shedding vanes and feathers. As far as "ruffling feathers" there is no denying it. But it does not affect the performance of the arrow.

Biscuits are also quiet.

I went with the WB a year ago and sure like it. Yes, U may lose a few ft/sec but the amt of loss is made up by my knowing that when I am all cranked up and drawing I know the arrow is where it is supposed to be. I use tree stands and sit for many an hr in a stand and in the past I have found the arrow has fallen off I didn't notice it. If a deer had come by and I had drawn I would have been way off target. Never mind when it does fall off sometimes it sounds like a bell going off in a quiet woods. WB came out this past year with an upgrade that allows you to drop the arrow in from the 10 o'clock position. If U go with the WB remember the center on the WB is different for Graphic or aluminum arrows, only slightly but make sure U get the right one. I have only used mine for a year but used it from April til Nov practising and never noticed my vanes getting banged up any more than the previous rests.

Let's have a discussion on arrow rests. I am likely going to go to a drop-away rest, or the whisker biscuit, on my hunting bow. What rest do you like and why? Has it tightened up your accuracy? Unfortunately, some of the rests are not made for left-handers like myself. Thanks for any replies, and thanks for the forum.
CH

I like the wisker biscuit. It is a very good rest if you do any type of still hunting. It is also a very good rest for beginners because they don't have to worry about the arrow falling off the rest. They only problem I have seen with it so far is I shoot feathers and does seem to use them up a littly faster then a prong style rest.

I cant use the WB rest with my overdraw.. the rest would be in the middle of my fletching when the bow is not drawn..

I dont know what the rest is called that I use.. its the standard spring resisted *2 arm type* that requires the off fletch to be down. I do not have the sleeves on it.. I havent had the squealing arrow effect on the draw yet.

I have thought about the drop-away rest.. but leaned away from them due to my overdraw.. If an arrow were to drop and fall off to the side upon release it would likely pass through my forearm.. I am happy with what I have on my bow ..

I just put the Troph Taker Rest on my new Hoyt 04 Ultra Tec.. I am very pleased with it.. I was shooting bullet holes threw paper quicker than I have with any other bow/rest combination. Very very pleased. If you are looking fall away look at Trophy Taker.

I shoot a Mathews bow with a very simpple and cheap rest. I believe it is called a Tiger Tuff rest. It has a very simple design(almost a v-shape). It is very wide so your arrow very rarely will fall off. It also has very little resistence on your arrow. I have not heard much good about the Bisket. My dad had one and when you draw in the cold it is very noisy. However, his arrow didn't ever fall off.

I have used the Muzzy Zero Effect for a few years now and it has worked well. I like the fact that this is a driven rest, meaning the rest arm is mechanically driven out of the way. Drop away rests are definitely, IMO, the way to go because the limit if not completely eliminate, fletching contact with the rest and reduce the effects of torquing the bow.
I did use a Savage Derringer drop-away before I spent the cash on the MZE but the magnet that holds the rest up FELL OUT. LOSS OF CONFIDENCE. I do have the rest on my back-up bow, after j-b welding that magnet back in position and it has worked well.

Thanks guys. I can't use the muzzy zero effect because the cable guard on my bow is below the handle, not above like on a lot of newer bows. I was looking at the Savage rest but the magnet falling off... not good, especially if you are at full draw on Mr. Big. If I go that way maybe I will try the JB weld from the start. I will look at that one and the trophy taker. I may look at an overdraw also, I have a 33" draw length and I may benefit from shortening those arrows a bit.
CH

Crowhunter... I would highly suggest against shooting an overdraw.. they are just way too unforgiving.. you have to have almost perfect form to even shoot one half as good as you could shoot a bow with out an overdraw... Just try and shoot lighter arrows... I am at a 31 3/4 inch draw... so I kinda know the boat you are in!

Exude...

I will disagree with not trying the overdraw. I didnt run into a great change in accuracy.. I actually gained accuracy in the aspect of compensation of yardage... or I would rather have an arrow go 1 inch left of my mark vs an arrow going 1/2" left and 4 1/2" low of my mark at a longer range.. or misjudged range.

From day one at 40 yards I had no problem keeping my arrows in a group the size of a pop can shooting with an overdraw once I got sighted properly... this is crutial mainly because I'm using the same pin as I do at 10 yards (flat). This coming summer I will be doing some long range shooting and try yardage up to 60 yards just *to see*.

Food for thought...I was at the local bow shop last spring and the owner was testing velocity. What he found was that the WB actually ADDED a couple fps. He attributed it to the design of the rest not allowing as much flex in the arrow therefore retaining more energy.