• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Mavs v. Gophs

Down to Earth

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm 100% Gopher fan and 10% Sioux fan when I'm not watching the Gophs (grew up in western mn watching them on tv). I think the Gopher teams are usually built for their home ice sheet, so they try to get the kids who skate well and are playmakers. Like an Aaron Ness, who is very small for defense. My biggest gripe against their teams is that they can get outmuscled against some of the more physical teams like the Sioux and Badgers. I think St. Cloud tries to play that physical style against them too, and often times they play pretty well. Kudos to the Mavs for sweeping the "Yankees", it's not an easy feat especially playing at Mariucci.

Here's the WCHA stats from the last three years.

2007 WCHA final standings

#2 Minnesota 21-5-2

#6 Minnesota State 10-16-2

Gophers 4-1-0 vs. Mavs

2006 WCHA final standings

#1 Minnesota 18-7-3

#8 Minnesota State 10-13-5

Gophers 2-1-1 vs. Mavs

2005 WCHA final standings

#1 Minnesota 20-5-3

#7 Minnesota State 12-13-3

Gophers 2-0-0 vs. Mavs

Don't spoil the greatest day in Mav history by letting the fact's get in the Way.... grin

#2 Minnesota 21-5-2

Gophers 4-1-0 vs. Mavs

#1 Minnesota 18-7-3

#1 Minnesota 20-5-3

Gophers 2-0-0 vs. Mavs

Gophers 2-1-1 vs. Mavs

you need to stop liveing in past...the mavs own the head to head for this year unless they meat agin so no matter what standings you look at the the mavs still beat the gophers 2 times and they only beat us once this year so there for the mavs are a better team head to head

I'm 100% Gopher fan and 10% Sioux fan when I'm not watching the Gophs (grew up in western mn watching them on tv). I think the Gopher teams are usually built for their home ice sheet, so they try to get the kids who skate well and are playmakers. Like an Aaron Ness, who is very small for defense. My biggest gripe against their teams is that they can get outmuscled against some of the more physical teams like the Sioux and Badgers. I think St. Cloud tries to play that physical style against them too, and often times they play pretty well. Kudos to the Mavs for sweeping the "Yankees", it's not an easy feat especially playing at

Mariucci.

that is funney we are a lot smaller team then the gophers but we still out hit them in the friday night game .....for haveing any player then want for the state of hockey they dont look so hot right now come on we are "just the little mankato mavs" as someone said when i was at the game that was at mariuccui ....

"Gophers 2-1-1 vs. Mavs"

Nobody's saying otherwise and as matter fact I believe the Mavs were complimented and given due credit by Gophers Fans in this thread.

You guys are the ones turning in into a Gopher bashing thread.

Good Luck in WCHA playoffs and NCAA's!

Originally Posted By: so haaad

#2 Minnesota 21-5-2

Gophers 4-1-0 vs. Mavs

#1 Minnesota 18-7-3

Gophers 2-1-1 vs. Mavs

#1 Minnesota 20-5-3

Gophers 2-0-0 vs. Mavs

Don't spoil the greatest day in Mav history by letting the fact's get in the Way.... grin

That is just the kind of attitude I am talking about. No problem. It was a great weekend for us.

Jutting sure didn't seem to think it was that big of a deal.

One ? for ya Pier. Did you care for the gopher's when they were a mid-tier WCHA team under most of Woog's tenure? Lots of folks I know just starting to jump on the wagon after their championships.

Poor Woog always get a bad rap. He really only had 2 bad seasons out of 14. If you sprinkle in 4 WCHA regular seaons titles, 3 playoff titles and 6 frozen 4 appearances he had a career most coaches would drool over.

With that said the Mavs played great hockey this weekend. Hopefully my gophers can figure out their defensive shortcomings soon. I don't see why Lucia doesn't give Patterson a look? I still have plently of faith in Kangas but I think he needs a rest.

#2 Minnesota 21-5-2

Gophers 4-1-0 vs. Mavs

#1 Minnesota 18-7-3

Gophers 2-1-1 vs. Mavs

#1 Minnesota 20-5-3

Gophers 2-0-0 vs. Mavs

You missed last year.

2007-2008 WCHA final standings

#4 Minnesota State 12-12-4 (wcha) 19-16-4 (overall)

#7 Minnesota 9-12-7 (wcha) 19-7-9 (overall)

MSU lost the season series and in the WCHA playoffs to UM. Although MSU deserved to be in the NCAA's more than Wisconsin, neither team really deserved to be in the NCAA tourney.

I sure hope they changed it. Let's just hope the teams in the tourney this year are quality teams. I like the gophers, but if they keep sliding I don't want to see them in the tourney just because they are hosting west regional games. I think they will come out of their funk down the stretch and possibly take the WCHA tourney. Is it me or do the world junior championships seem to screw up the gophers all the time?

Gophers are a good team. They will get out of their funk. I would expect them to host a first round WCHA game and who knows what happens from there.

I love the X-Cel and Maruicci and they are the best and most logical places to have the games, but it is totat B S that the Gophers get home playoff games on neutral ice all the time.

Both. Xcel and OOochi always get finals and regionals. Like I said earlier, it makes sense to have them there, they are the best attended when they are in MN, but it is not really fair either as far as neutral sites go. All about the $ though and MN is where it needs to be or it will be very poorly attended as college hockey just is not popular unless you live in MN, ND, or Michigan.

You could tell the rodents were in trouble right away last night by how fast their sticks came up.

Speaking of sticks coming up... grin... I do believe we have a Sioux versus Mavericks series this weekend in Grand Forks...

The last time these two teams played a regular-season series in Grand Forks, five players were ejected for fighting in the first game.... wink

I heard they installed extra penalty box's just for this series... grin

Good luck.