• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

San Francisco - 6 photos

Dbl

These are all from a trip this week to San Francisco. Spent a few days downtown and enjoyed some of the nicest weather in memory, highs around 70. I've been there in the summer when it wasn't that nice. I'm having a devil of a time posting at these sizes, they are postage stamp size on my monitor! Lots of detail lost but hopefully they are enjoyable to view!

1. Golden Gate at dusk.

459383608_Mu8js-L.jpg

2. Fishing boats along Fisherman's Wharf.

459383951_T2Dc2-L.jpg

3. Along the waterfront along Hyde St. where the cable cars turn around.

459384168_ap6KU-XL.jpg

4. Alcatraz as a boat passes by.

459394356_2vXKm-L.jpg

5. The last two are a bit of experimentation in HDR. Never been a huge fan of it but these are a small taste of the technique. Alcatraz from Aquatic Park.

459384050_bWjau-L.jpg

6. Along Lombard Street looking back towards Coit Tower.

459383702_chrEj-L.jpg

Dan how did you get everyone in town to go away while you took the pics? I can see an outline of what looks like a family crossing the road by the hotel and that is it. How did you do that and what did it cost ya. See I got these in-laws.......

Dan how did you get everyone in town to go away while you took the pics? I can see an outline of what looks like a family crossing the road by the hotel and that is it. How did you do that and what did it cost ya. See I got these in-laws.......

LOL, Hwood make sure you get photos of the in-laws at night! Night exposures like these use a long exposure, this one was 8 seconds. The folks walking in the photo because they are moving are never exposed for a long enough time in one part of the photo to show up well. Photo #4 shows this as well, a boat that was passing by that left only its nav light trails. That is what gives you the ghost image. Try going out some evening in the backyard and take a night shot with about a 15 second exposure. Set the self-timer and walk into the photo with a flash light and wave it around, or spell your name and walk out. You will be left with just your light trail and you will be barely visible if at all.

This also works well if you would like to "light paint". Find a nice subject again at night and take a spotlight, flashlight, whatever you think you need and after the shutter opens turn on the light and move it around to "paint" your subject with light. How much light you shine and how long in different areas gives you different looks. You don't need a fancy camera or equipment to do this either, any camera that allows you to set a long exposure will do. Not even a tripod is necessary, You can just set the camera on something solid and use the self-timer to shoot the camera. Low-tech and little equipment = cool and fun results. These would be fun ideas for the current photo challenge...hint...hint wink