• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

anyone running an antique?

mrfish1991

On my boat I run a 1958 Evinrude 7.5hp motor which is blue in color. It has its visible flaws on the outside: cracked embliums, scuffed/chipped/scratched paint...ect

but the inside is a different story all together. If you look under the hood, it looks just as good as it did coming straight out of the factory. Everything is clean beyond belief, there is even the original sticker telling how to start and run the motor as well as the proper gas/oil mix on the inside cover.

It is a great motor that is paired with a 14ft aluminum boat that has been decked and had pedistal seats installed. Its a great boat for dinkin around the metro lakes and sees action once a year up on ML...sometimes it gets a little too rough and we have to dock it until the weather calms up...

its in storage right now, but i will post pics when i can either find them if they exist on my computer or when i can take them in the spring

anyone else?

We have a mid 50's johnson 3 hp that my bro uses up in AK, he took the motor and my grandpas 19 grumman sqaure stern and covered 1300 miles of the yukon river while goldmining last summer. I think that motor is worth more than the gold they found...

Ya the boat i run mine on is a 71 sea nymph i believe and it doesnt leak either wink

Im the only one in the house that knows how to get her started and run her right, she needs a little babying to get her going and running right but it usually doesnt take more than 5 pulls.

My Dad has a 57 johnson/evenrude 7 1/2 horse that I have used since I was 13. Still runs great. I can leave that thing sit for 1-2 years and put it on the boat and with fresh gas it starts in about 4-5 pulls the first time. after that its a 1 pull wonder. I love that motor. Just got to be sure to stand it up and let the water drain before winter or it will blow out a freeze plug in the motor.

my brother in law is running a 1957 5 horse on a 14 foot lund

I have watched him with this motor for 30 years and know that the lower seal has never leaked or had the grease changed ,checked or serviced

he did get coils once 10 years ago

he has a same year 15 Johnson that was run on a pontoon and it is also running and never been serviced

Best motors ever built as far as I know

I just bought a 1941 boat and it and motor and trailer will now last me the rest of my life[hopefully]yea its an Evinrude

I've had a '56 5.5 Johnson for about 25 years. It'll idle down to almost nothing. I replaced the coils a long time ago, too. We used it to push canoes on the Canadian side of Rainy. Now it gets occasional running time on a 14-foot cartopper we bring camping.

I have a 15" Grumman Sportboat that I run an 1957 7.5 Johnson on. It was my father-in-laws until he passed away 15 yrs ago. It runs like a top. I also have the entire series of 1957 Johnsons, 3, 5, 7.5, 10, 18, 28 and 35 HP. They all run, but I keep them on display in my fishing room.

I have a mid 50's 5.5hp Johnson twin, traded a small generator for it about 10 years ago. It sits on my Coleman Crawdad at my dock from ice out to ice up, never misses a beat, ugly and heavy for a 5.5hp but couldn't ask for a more reliable unit.

I have a 15" Grumman Sportboat that I run an 1957 7.5 Johnson on. It was my father-in-laws until he passed away 15 yrs ago. It runs like a top. I also have the entire series of 1957 Johnsons, 3, 5, 7.5, 10, 18, 28 and 35 HP. They all run, but I keep them on display in my fishing room.

very nice, any pics?

I just inherited a 1959 Pipestone Mariner Chief runabout fiberglass boat,in Black and Salmon color (wasnt that a Cadillac or Edsel color back then?) It has a 1960 35 horse Evinrude Super Quiet on it. My inlaws say it hasnt been in the water since the late 60s. Its in great shape, although faded a bit. It gonna be a restoration project someday, I spose.