• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Arctic cat Prowler vs. yamaha rino

kooba

I'm in the market of buy a side by side in a couple of months. Does anyone have one of these makes that can give me info on the likes and dislikes. I am looking at either a 450 rino or the smaller of the prowlers. I'm looking for it to use around the house a little bit and also to go trail riding with the kids and wife little bit. Also, does anyone use a seat in the box to haul extra people? Where did you get that at? Thanks for any info.

I have an 04 Rhino and it has been trouble free other than it is a little tough to start when it's below zero. I have a plow and it moves a ton of snow. If you search "Rhino versus Prowler" there is a lot of info. It seems that more people prefer the Rhino. There are a number of Rhino accessory websites that sell the seat in the box deal. It's an aftermarket product, not a Yamaha part....I believe.

I can't speak for the Prowler, but my dad has a 660 Rhino and the one thing that really stands out is the cabin noise from the motor.

The Rhino is definitely a workhorse no matter what motor you have. The 450 version is geared down to accomodate the smaller motor, but it's not a true 450 (421cc).

When you think a smaller machine will suffice, you'll run into a situation where you wished you had the larger machine.

The best thing you can do is find a dealer that will allow you some seat time in the machines and judge for yourself.

Each machine may have features that appeal to you more than the other. Things such as fit/finish, power, ease of use, ergonomics (seat/floor/steering wheel position).

I know you specified only the AC and Yamaha, but I wouldn't rule out the Kawasaki Teryx that Roofer mentioned. IMO it has a better motor than both the AC and Yamaha and closely resembles the Rhino in the looks dept.

I have an 04 rhino, I really like it. The noise is rather annoying, and it does start hard when cold, or has been sitting for long periods, but it has ALWAYS started. And yes you can really plow with it. The new fuel injection 700 would be nice.

The smallest motor available in the Prowler is a 550 Efi. This is only available in one model that has a flat bed, rather than a box right now. It is also only in the model year 2009.

Otherwise the 650 H1 is carbureted, but more than capable to make light work of pretty much any chore. Like the Rhino the engine noise was a problem, but this was resolved in 2008 with a new intake design that drastically reduced this.

The 650 H1 is one tough motor. It is built by AC in their St Cloud engine plant.

They are all pretty good and have some nice features. A Prowler was the first UTV to complete the Baja 1000. The drivetrain was untouched, though beefier shocks were added and a roll cage of course. I am sure this is probably of no interest to you. :-)

Either the Rhino or Prowler would be fully capable in what you are going to use it.

Thanks for all of your replies. Does anyone own the Kawi? Teryx(sp) Its almost too cold to do any test driving so I need your honest opionions on noise level and stuff. I would like to buy before springtime. kooba

I'm not aware of anyone who owns the Teryx, but some, including myself, have experience with the brand.

What I can tell you is the V-Twin motor in the Teryx is one of the best motors out there. It's also one of the smoothest motors. For all-round usage, the Teryx would be my first choice. If it was strictly for work, it would be the Ranger hands down.

The first model Teryx was carb'd and I think they switched over to EFI now.

I did see a sale ad for the first model year where you could pick them up cheap (I think it was $7995). Not sure if you can find anymore carry-over models.

I've heard good things about the Yamaha Rhino's and have ridden in a 450 and thought the cab noise was pretty loud myself.

I wonder how the Kawi belt sytem is for their T-Rex? I know

they've have some issues with their belt systems on the Brute Forces and they are alot lighter machines. What dealers do you have near to Little Falls?

I have also been mulling this over for a while. Of the two you chose, the Rhino is sportier. The Prowler is a little more utility. Each has their differences in their options and their little extras built it.

My choice for me was to get the prowler. I want to plow with it, do food plots, some trail riding, but nothing extreme or fast.

Then The Teryx came along. It seems to be the bestof both worlds and now that the motor is EFI too, it reduces the problems with cold starting and carb adjustments.

If I chose today it would be the Teryx unless I discovered something I didn't like in the test driving.

Yes its a little cold out to be test driving, but you're gonna plow snow with it you might as well put on your gear and go test ride to see how it would be to drive when you're wearin boots. Nothing lies when you're behind the wheel.

I have 08 teryx and it has been a great utv no problems .The 750 motor is great I would not go smaller.If you can find any 08s left the price is great right now I paid 7250.00 for mine .The 09 model is efi 08 has carbs

The artic cat dealer were i bought mine also sells yamaha and told me that he wouldn't by the prowler. They are tall and tippy.

Sounds to me like your dealer was trying to push the Yamaha. Better deal for him in the end? I've never heard of the AC Prowler being tippy. The Rhino on the other hand!!! Now that's a different story. There's a reason why the Rhino comes with the half doors and the extra OH $**# handle on the center console with the strap on the end. crazy

A couple roll-overs, add an ambulance chaser in there and you have yourself a lawsuit.

I agree with dave...there is a reason why som many people end up widening their rhino with travel kits and bigger tires. I've heard way more complaints about the narrowness of the rhino.

I realize it fits in the back of a pickup, but having a wider track when you are that tall has its advantages.

I would agree that your dealer must've been pushing the rhino. Any salesman who sells both brands wouldn't bad mouth one over another because he should be happy to sell you either one.

The reason that you here so many lawsuits on the Rhino is because there are so many more Rhino's out there compared to other SXS machines. By the way the sales man was a friend of mine

I'm willing to bet there's more Rangers out there than any other UTV. At least here in MN. Rhinos have undoubtedly caught up.

The lawsuits on the Rhinos are the end result of someone driving the vehicle beyond it's limitations and fail to understand it's not meant to be driven on the road.

They changed the air intake in '07 (I think) for this problem.

Wasn't the 660 also the 5-valve head whereas the 700 is a 4 valve head?

I know the old Raptors have a significant difference in exhaust note vs. the 700 models.