• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

So Excited to be Fishing on the Ice again. Yippie!!!!

I finally got a whole day in of fishing yesterday. Boy was it fun. Caught 9perch and 2 eye's, had to let one go, too small. I think I've caught that same little eye about 5 times now, bring it up and it's always got about 3minnows in it's mouth.

I went out early to try out my hubby's new gadgets he received for Christmas from our son. A light for the Aqua View and a tri-pod that holds the camera cord in place. Worked really good in the dark, just didn't see any fish. Also the Aqua View wasn't fully charged so after a half hour it was going out. Charged it fully last night though. Can't wait to try it out again. Hubby's going to love it. I was more than happy to put batteries in the light and try it out for him. lol

Hubby got me two of the heater pumps for the hole, I tried one out yesterday, need another cord to get the other one going. It did work good to move the minnow around and open the hole bigger, I think that was his plan so he doesn't have to auger the holes for me. (wink) He also got me a small Ice chipper with a hammer on the other end. I going to switch with him for his small one, he likes mine and I like his. Good deal for both.

It was awfully hard before Christmas to have to clean house and cook for company and know the ice house was just waiting for me out there.

Hubby and son set up hubby's big house just past mine, this way hubby only has to plow one road. Don't have the holes drilled yet but hoping to get that done today. Now if it's slow in my house I can just go there. Yep, it's heaven on Ice!!

Daughter's home from College and works at the ski slop as a ski patrol, I get up and leave for some fishing before the sun comes up and she checks the wood stove and lets our dogs out when she gets up, sure is nice for me that I don't have to come in from fishing to do that. Gonna miss her when she goes back to college at the end of Jan. One of these mornings I'm going to surprise her and be home when she gets up. lol

Hubby is gearing up for the Ice Fishing contest here in Bemidji, It's the 'Hard Water Classic' on Saturday Jan.17th, it's part of Bemidji's Polar Daze. Hubby's helping run it. I'm not one to stand on the ice and fish, can't take the cold too long. (Dang frost bite.)

Any one interested for more information go to

www.hardwaterclassic.org

I woke this morning to my bobber going down the hole real slow. I ice fish in my sleep. lol.

Hello to everyone, I don't get on here as often but I do check in. Happy fishing, Diana

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, now ya got me chomping at the bit!!! I haven't been out since Dec 13th. The ice conditions are really bad here and there is nobody that plows a road on our lake. I am like you though, I do dream about any kind of fishing and often see my bobber going down in my sleep. Happy fishing to you too Diana.

I went yesterday all day again!! Caught a half dozen perch, 1 walleye 13", and just as I was packing it in I caught an ellpout.

Hubby started up his house yesterday, first thing, he pulled the recoil out of his big auger, good thing he still had his spare, that worked. My son went fishing in that house last night after fixing busted water pipes at his house all day. Not sure yet if he caught anything, hubby caught one small perch. But he doesn't stay out there all day like I do.

I'm getting all the house work done so I can go back out again today. I've waited all year to do this and I'm going every chance I can.

Last year I bought a new battery for my van, I think there may be a glitch in it, I needed a jump to start it up. Will be prepared and bring battery jumpers today. Scary stuff when your vehicle doesn't start.

Lambjm, I feel for you, I'd be chompen at the bit too. I can't seem to find anyone that wants to go with me and fish.

My hubby plowed a really nice wide road to our two house and for the guy that always fishes by us. His daughter used to babysit for us. (Thank Goodness he had jumper cables.) Guess what happened yesterday, someone put their two houses right smack dab in the middle of the road then plowed around it, so it's going to make it hard to get our wheeled house off or to another spot. Some people!! I couldn't believe it, neither could my hubby.

Yesterday it was pretty warm out, got kind of slushy at the shore, but I didn't leave until it was frozen again. Not a problem for me, except when the van doesn't want to start.

Hope, I hope your auger starts up for you! What a bummer. I like your happy feet in your signature, I haven't seen that show yet, someday though. There so cute.

Happy fishing everyone. Gotta run.

Diana

I went out on my favorite little lake today, and the conditions are pretty bad to say the least. Some of the residents have been running their snowmobiles trying to pound down some of the snow so it would freeze. I took the ATV out only about 40 feet from shore, I had stopped by there yesterday and my fishing buddy and his grandsons were out fishing tipups and had 4 small northerns. So I figured I should be able to catch something today.......not a hit on the tip ups, and only a few small bites jigging. I was going to drill some holes when I first got there and I didn't shovel first. The auger filled with slush and wouldn't drill, so I laid it on the front of the ATV and started to wipe some of the slush off, no gloves on mind you. I discovered my blade is definitely sharp, sliced the tip of my finger open and took 20 minutes to stop the bleeding. Slapped a bandaid and a plastic surgical glove on it and proceeded to go back to drilling holes. I wont be venturing out to far on any lake unless there is a road or this slush freezes.

It's great to hear you ladies out fishing this weekend!! Awesome! laugh

Jim came home from the cabin early on Friday with bad ice reports so we didn't venture out this weekend. I've got nothing to report except all the Christmas stuff is packed back in the totes and the house is back to normal. That's all the news I've got! blushgrin

lambjm, I feel for all your troubles.cry All you wanted was a bit of fishing, and what do you get for all your troubles? Nothing but a big Ouchie and the knowledge that your auger is sharp.

Last year we had the slush really bad here, made for some scary ice thickness, some places were good and you go a few feet and it was thin. Be Careful!

I did get to go all day again yesterday, ended up being a really slow day, took a nap in my recliner while the rattle reel was down. Woke to find I'd missed the tail end of the Vikings game and that we had Won!!Whoo hoo! I did catch a med. size perch and a big one, I fished from 8am till 5:30pm. They just weren't biting.

Lisa, I'm anxious to get all the decorations packed away too. Can't yet though, we have company coming this weekend for the Bemidji Beavers hockey game with the N.D.Sioux. Friday's game is here in Bemidji, Saturday's game is there at the Englestad Arena. I'm probably going to the Friday game, then my sister in law and I will fish while the guys go to N.D. Saturday. I hope she likes fishing.grin

I haven't decided yet to go out this morning for the morning bite, I do have to do some things here at home, hem hubby's jeans I got him for Christmas, so he can wear them this weekend. Get stuff together for Taxes, with our Daughter in College we need to have that done soon. Fold the clothes I hung up to dry yesterday. Vacuum, and sweep.

A bit off topic, but.....

For once I'm looking forward to our electricity bill to come in the mail. Last months bill just about gave me a heart attack, it was UP $111.00 bucks from the month before. So, I told my hubby, we are doing an experiment. Unplugging what we are not using, including the bunn coffee pot that heats water all day, all the things that stay plugged in to an outlet, but we didn't unplug things like the fridge or freezer, or alarm clocks and TV with the schedule, you have to stay plugged in to get the schedule.

Plus I found some 11 watt csf bulbs(they burn at 60watts of brightness after they warm up) at the dollar tree store. At first I only bought 5 bulbs, went back the next day and bought a case of 48, sold 7 of them to my sister. I replaced 29 bulbs which was 1970watts, to just a bit over 300watts. Hoping to see a big difference in my bill. Also on the last bill we did not have our wood stove going, this month we did.

Have to save where we can so we can afford to fill Lp tanks and get minnows.grin

Hope you guys get some decent Ice freezing weather so you can fish without driving two hours to find a lake.

Ta ta for now, Diana

Dang Diana, you get up early!! I get up at 5am now but I have to be to work by 6:00! It's NOT by choice, I tell you.

I chomp at the bit every year to get the Christmas stuff up and then 3 weeks later when the cats have chewed things to pieces and they've demolished ornaments, every dusty thing needs to come down. Maybe it's time to kennel cats every night when it's bedtime huh? Bass N Spear, any pointers on kenneling CATS? winkgrin

I'm so glad you can get out and share your reports with us, Barb and Diana! At least a couple of you girls (although Tami is suspiciously silent-means she's probably on the lake as I type!) are having some fun on the ice. I'll get out though and then you won't be able to shut me up! grin

Let us know if your electricity experiment works Diana! I bet it does!

Lisa - you know me too well - yes I've been fishing alot. grin

Was on Mille Lacs a couple of weeks ago. HIt the flats, we did real well.

Was fishing at a friends cabin all last weekend. Alot of sunnies and small perch, not much else.

Was going to head to MIlle Lacs this weekend but the bite as slowed and what is being caught is quite small, so Scott and I are headed to wisc.

I WILL be up to MIlle Lacs next weekend though, are you going to be able to make? atleast for a day ??? Sounds like the whole gang will be there - so you HAVE to come !!! laugh

I was finally out for the first time this season on Sunday. Between four of us we got 21 sunnies and 22 crappies that we kept track of. It was so nice out too, I didn't even mind not setting up a house, I just stood by the holes! I am itching to go again. smile Good times. smile

Havent gone out at all yet... still kinda leery with the ice reports...

But then again my mind has been glued to the boat... what I need to order from now til the snow melts then just go to work on her... and hopefully be able to finish her by July/August and be able to use her just in time for the fall bite to turn on... I've refrained myself tremendously by not buying ANY new muskie lures... and I've issued a self-restraining-order barring myself from Thorne Bros or any other places that I know sells muskie lures... it helps somewhat... grin

Well, Lisa, the experiment with the electricity sure did work for this bill, it went up another 111.00!!!!! 322.95

I couldn't believe it. I called the power company and she said lots of people have called. We did have some 40below wind chills on this bill, she is going to send me a chart that will give me a graph, from Oct. till now. She did an electronic estimate over the phone, I had to read my meter for her. She said there is less being used right now but the prices are going up in Jan. You'd think with the gas prices there wouldn't be an increase in electric!

Now for the happier part, I caught another 14"walleye yesterday and a few small perch I sent back down the hole, had a few bites in the evening, they didn't stay on the hook, just nibbled the bait. Later last night at 8:30pm or so, something took my whole rig, I think it was a northern.

It's 25below today, will have to go out to the house and make sure the heater is on, all the bait is in there. Hopefully it's made it though the night.

Happy fishing everyone, your time is coming too. Diana

Wow! That's one giant light bill Diana! Ick! eek

It's about -15 below this morning. I went sliding with some of my daycare kids whom I've missed terribly since I've starting working at the nursing home. We had a great time but walking back up that hill was tough work especially when a kid kept popping in the sled I was pulling! I think I'm getting old! grin I just wish my arm was too sore from hauling in fish! I wish that I was just so sick of ice fishing right about now that I need to take a break! winklaughlaugh

Hey Lisa, I used to do daycare, got pretty burned out from doing it for over 5yrs. Last August our first Grandchild was born! Her name is Sophie, she is 5 months now and is smiling all the time, very cute baby.

I went out to the fish house yesterday morning at prime time, heater wasn't working so good, the tank I had on there just wouldn't seem to work right. Then the phone rang, it was my Mom, I didn't get to even get my line in for prime time fishing, so I changed the tank out for an almost empty one, then filled two, brought them back and changed the one I had put on there. I Hope it is still going good. I'd hate to lose the minners in the house.

I'll have to get my cleaning done today, company is coming tomorrow. Might be able to get in some morning fishing which is the best anyway.

Your time's a coming Lisa.

Later, Diana

Daycare was a good job. Just not a job I wanted to retire from. I'm waiting to get into nursing school now that all my prerequisite classes are done. I actually got to go sliding with 3 of my daycare kids on Tuesday and then went for hot chocolate. I miss them very much so it was nice catching up with a few of them anyway!

My time IS a comin' Diana! Just probably not for a while yet and I'm working all weekend at the nursing home too so catch a coupla perch or wally's for me ok? cool

Keep up the reports girls! I love hearing them! grin (Pics would be a bonus!! laugh )

Good job Rebel...make it a New Year's resolution to NOT spend your saving on muskie gear. If you even wanna head out with me and my friends, let me know. [email protected]. All I can think about is the next time I can get out to fish. crazy Starting to look forward to open water though smile.

what else is there to spend money on??

Well, for one, clothes, food, shelter....to name the basics. crazy I mean, you need clothes so the warden won't take you off the lake, food to be strong enough to actually reel it in...well, take shelter off the list I guess. Nevermind, you still need shelter for the boat, gotta make sure it doesn't get damaged! whistle. wink

In response to:

Poster: mngirl

Subject: Re: So Excited to be Fishing on the Ice again. Yippie!!!!

Well, for one, clothes, food, shelter....to name the basics. I mean, you need clothes so the warden won't take you off the lake, food to be strong enough to actually reel it in...well, take shelter off the list I guess. Nevermind, you still need shelter for the boat, gotta make sure it doesn't get damaged! .

You are correct there...it actually happened in the Grand Rapids area a couple of years ago...Made the CO reports. crazy

We went out yesterday...2 little perch and a couple of small sunnies....had 2 flags, but nothing brought in. frown

But it was good to finally be out on the ice. grin